Soundspot Union Wavetable Synth out today

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

While we're at it:

What do this "dots" do? Unfortunately the doc page is empty...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Teksonik wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:13 pm Perhaps if you would stop being so cryptic and announce who you are...... :wink:
I have answered this question in a previous comment, but that is easily missed I guess. I work for SoundSpot, and I am tasked to help people on forums like this one. We want to try and be more involved with our users, and potential users and this seems to be one of the more lively forums.
Apologies for seeming cryptic. :tu:

I'm glad to hear there's to be an honest development.
progtronic wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:48 pm would have been REALLY cool, is if they had designed it so that you could just generate wavetables, and then slot them in up to, say.. three different OSC's, with the current funtionality (plus velocity and mod wheel settings :P ).
That would be awesome.
I would be satisfied if you could include osc3 and automation of the FX with "generate wavetable". Like the Serum render to osc approach. The market advantage here would definitely be stereo.

The Analog-OSC can be reprogrammed to alias free OSC. Is the FFT tranformation known? Please consider it:
http://www.martin-finke.de/blog/article ... scillator/

I am curious whether the promises will be kept, that would be very gratifying!

Teksonik wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:04 pm
Lempface wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:57 pm
Teksonik wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:24 pm We'll have to agree to disagree then. Air's Wavetable synth Hybrid 3 just blows Union away in terms of sound quality in my opinion and of course feature set although Union's generate WT is nice. Hybrid is as far from bland as you can get in my opinion. Crisp and unapologetically digital sounding in a world that is pathologically obsessed with Analog. :tu:
I'm gonna have to go ahead and question you on this. Hybrid 3 is probably the worst sounding synth I've had the displeasure to use. Funnily enough, every preset has this "air" about it that just sounds like some really harsh white noise in the high range. Thought it was maybe just the preset designer but after spending a few hours with it ugh... What you call unapologetically digital I call terrible. I don't mind "digital" sound synths at all, but the thing is just putrid.

I'd honestly be interested to hear it in a context from someone who enjoys it though, so if you've used it in a production and wouldn't mind to share I'd love to hear it.
You can't question someone's opinion. I like the sound of Hybrid 3. I've used it in projects and have done a bunch of patches for it that I find quite pleasing.

Here's a few from a year ago....

Hybrid 3 Teksonik 01

We all have different tastes we all make different music and we all like different sounds.

I simply gave my opinion on this statement:
Sinisterbr wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:04 pm Sound wise it's light years ahead of Air synths, I can say that! :)
In my opinion Hybrid simply blows away the sound of Union.... :shrug:

(as do Xpand!2 and Loom since they are also Air Synths)

But I like Union and will probably pick it up at some point since there are hints by someone I'm not sure is even connected to the project of future updates. :wink:
I personally didn't like the sound of Hybrid at first but having spent some time with it I have certainly changed my mind. It's more than capable of some lovely sounds. Really shines with pads.
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

Hear2help wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:22 pm
Teksonik wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:13 pm Perhaps if you would stop being so cryptic and announce who you are...... :wink:
I have answered this question in a previous comment, but that is easily missed I guess. I work for SoundSpot, and I am tasked to help people on forums like this one. We want to try and be more involved with our users, and potential users and this seems to be one of the more lively forums.
There you go. I didn't see all your posts but you seemed to come out of nowhere so it would be easy to mistake you for someone who is simply a fan.

Welcome to KVR and good luck with your projects. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

jethrobull wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:32 pm I personally didn't like the sound of Hybrid at first but having spent some time with it I have certainly changed my mind. It's more than capable of some lovely sounds. Really shines with pads.
I totally agree. I think Hybrid is highly under rated but it's OT to this thread so I'll let it go. I just had to challenge the statement that Union is "light years ahead of Air Synths". :)

But let's see what the future holds for Union. Like I said in my first post in this thread it has a nice solid character and that's a good base for any synth to build on...... :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I picked this up yesterday, had no idea it was so recent, just thought it was on offer.

I didn't have time to get stuck into it, but flicking through presets, well for a start there is some mad lag when going through presets, and then some distortion, it clears after about 5 seconds but wtf is that about ?

Presets are solid enough, not a bad sound from it at all tbh. I will take more time to get to know it when I can. For 6 quid, decent buy.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

elassi wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:18 pm While we're at it:

They are a timing option, kinda like a delay effects Dotted and Triplet function. :tu:

Hear2help wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:43 pm
elassi wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:18 pm While we're at it:

They are a timing option, kinda like a delay effects Dotted and Triplet function. :tu:
Ah, I see. So they change the straight timing options into dotted and triplet ones. Well, that makes a feature request obsolete. :tu:

LeVzi wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:42 pm I picked this up yesterday, had no idea it was so recent, just thought it was on offer.

I didn't have time to get stuck into it, but flicking through presets, well for a start there is some mad lag when going through presets, and then some distortion, it clears after about 5 seconds but wtf is that about ?

Presets are solid enough, not a bad sound from it at all tbh. I will take more time to get to know it when I can. For 6 quid, decent buy.
An issue with preset selection and sound?. We are aware of a CPU spike issue when scrolling through presets, but not an issue with sound?. Would you mind contacting our support with an audio example if possible?. I have just tested this on a Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7 quad, 16gb Ram, Mojave, Ableton Live 10.1.3 and a Antelope Zen Tour. No distortion when scrolling through the presets?. :?

Teksonik wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:32 pm
Hear2help wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:22 pm
There you go. I didn't see all your posts but you seemed to come out of nowhere so it would be easy to mistake you for someone who is simply a fan.

Welcome to KVR and good luck with your projects. :tu:
No problem, thank you for the welcome. :tu:

So, can I make my own suggestions?

- I kinda like the main page, it's got a fast workflow, except the FX section. I HATE scroll bars in synths, and I see absolutely no need for that one. You should just shrink the FX modules a little bit, and eliminate the scroll bar;

- I also think you shouldn't stick to a single GUI color (blue). Colors are unparalleled for sending GUI information to the user. For example, the only indicator for the FXs are these tiny on/off buttons. Why don't you use a different color to indicate the FX state? Same thing for the OSCs magnifying glass;

- I think I don't need to say (as everybody here) this synth needs velocity parameters;

- A mod matrix, or something to make it easier to visualise the modulations. I'm ALL about workflow and, by the way your Youtube videos look, you also are, but not being able to quickly see what's going on modulation wise completely dampers the work speed;

- And then there is the OSC page. I think it's really confusing, but I'm kinda lasy/busy right now, will try to return to it later

Cheers

Picked it up a couple days ago, not bad at all, have been coming up with lots of sounds on it, haven't really had any huge or weird issues.

Glad to read that future development and improvements are planned, hope they put a lot of the suggestions in the thread to use. Like any launch, out of the gate there are issues, so at least they seem to be aware of them.

Between this and Babylon last week, can't really see much downside to getting 2 synths for a little over $20, even if I didn't really need them. It's nice to not have to spend $200, lol :D :party:

Sorry, I don't buy promises. I buy only actual synths.

And the price of a promise is not an argument.

In fact it looks as if you had no money for your R&D and simply are gathering this money to start it, using the customers simply as subscribers for your experiments... but without any guaranty. Why don't you tell the truth ?

Buying promises is like buying hopes without any guaranties.

How can you be serious with a synth which doesn't even manage the velocity when ALL the freeware plugins have this so basic feature ?
And the mod wheel ? Where do you manage it ?
And this insane CPU hog ? How can you talk to add new features when the synth is already a hog ?

Hmm... before starting to speak about future features, start at least by adding these two so common features and by fixing that huge CPU use. Then we shall see...
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

In the meanwhile... Defiant WT is free.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Return to “Instruments”