f. 'em - a new FM synth from Tracktion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
chipsynth OPS7 F.'em FM8

many are not really needed for me, it s just good to have sample and noise if needed . the strenght is also the filters section and layers

noiseresearch wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:21 pm The first time I demoed f.'em after the initial release for quite a while and left it aside as I was disappointed. Just came from a second test round (plus having the 30$ offer in mind) does not change anything :D Still disappointed. This synth is a mess (and a missed opportunity) ofc – IMHO.
What $30 offer? I didn’t even bother demoing it at $179, but for $30, I’d buy it just for the MPE abilities.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:49 pm
noiseresearch wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:21 pm The first time I demoed f.'em after the initial release for quite a while and left it aside as I was disappointed. Just came from a second test round (plus having the 30$ offer in mind) does not change anything :D Still disappointed. This synth is a mess (and a missed opportunity) ofc – IMHO.
What $30 offer? I didn’t even bother demoing it at $179, but for $30, I’d buy it just for the MPE abilities.
At Audio Deluxe.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

aMUSEd wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:28 pm
kobal wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:24 pm this synth is very good i don t know why you feel it s bad, maybe the Ui, sonically it s not really special or like a old yamaha sound but the possbilities can lead to plenty of great sounds
It's interesting though how most of the patches don't make use of the 11 ops - makes me wonder is it just that many are not really needed or more the level of complexity that many OPs entails is challenging for sound designers to really make full use of (which I can relate to)
I didn't install the presets so I couldn't check, but I'm not surprised.

4 layers with 11 operators each and a trillion mod sources... I'm not complaining but it's kinda overkill.

Especially since it does not provide multiple outputs... there's only so much stuff I personally feel like cramming into a single stereo output when it comes to synthesizer patches.

Still, I'm quite happy with it at the moment.

kraster wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:01 pm I couldn’t find an init patch so I made one using one of the bass presets. You can init a layer by double clicking the trash can

I also get that annoying content nag screen.
Examigan wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:03 pm There is one patch called Liquid Sine Wobble which is close to being an Init patch. You can disable the Level LFO for the 7th operator and go from there.

Or click the trash icon for each layer you're going to use.
Thanks for tips, got it.

Well, after some digging, think need grab for such price. Mainly due to hard fixed ADSR macro, that very convenient. (Reminded ones from Propellerhead PX7) + Layer detune\spread system. Very useful combination for achieve different textures from factory material for further rendering to offline.
Not a bad sounding (not wow, but there is something, "hardwarish" lol)
But i would hesitate to use it in habitual way, due to cpu usage (i7-8700 if anything).

Edit: But need solve this nag screen abot factory content.

If NI put out an FM8 update with a diff color scheme, resizable window and MPE capabilities for a $29 dollar upgrade price, I probably would have paid. So, this purchase was a no brainer.
zerocrossing wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:49 pm

Def gunna cop this deal. $29 is damn worth it.....I love FM8, and have gotten really good with it, so this seems like a nice upgrade so to speak

Don't' forget Plogue's OPS7...

That's a killer FM synth with a ton of attitude 🥳
No auto tune...

Does anyone know how to make F.'em stop loading presets instead of letting the user start fresh. I have not been able to find a way to clear presets back to default. I haven't found answers on google, support or the documentation. If they really shipped it without a basic feature such as this....nah it can't be true. i must be blind

Ghost_Train wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:41 am Does anyone know how to make F.'em stop loading presets instead of letting the user start fresh. I have not been able to find a way to clear presets back to default. I haven't found answers on google, support or the documentation. If they really shipped it without a basic feature such as this....nah it can't be true. i must be blind
The fastest way is to click on the 4 trash cans, once you have done that you. An save your own init patch (I made a few with a few basic operator set ups)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Will there ever be a VST3 version of f.em?

Already is

May I know what is the current version of F-em and since when was the last update? Consider this price, I am afraid it will be an abondand ware.

cowby wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:04 pm May I know what is the current version of F-em and since when was the last update? Consider this price, I am afraid it will be an abondand ware.
1.1.3 - 3 days ago.

Has anyone figured out a useful way to use multiple slots in the flow lfo's? I kind of hoped it would sequence through the lfo slots somewhat like the wavestation or so, but I haven't found a useful way to make use of it through a modwheel assignment of that red dot or so as the transition is always non-smooth.

Return to “Instruments”