New Linux builds, updated to rev. 9775

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

skottish wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:26 pm It's happening at note on. The GUI fires up, is responsive, and I haven't been able to reproduced it in any other way. Zebrify seems to work perfectly.
Thanks for the detailed info.
I've installed the latest Ardour 6 pre build (pre1.156) and can play Zebra just fine (that's in UbuntuStudio 17.04 though).
Not really sure what to do, but since it works in Reaper, and since there've been bugs in Ardour which affected our plugins in the past, I'd suggest to file a bug report with them to see if they can find out what's happening.
Sorry that I can't be more of a help.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

Ok. Thanks for the answer. That makes sense.

/Anders
tasmaniandevil wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:48 pm
Subarumannen wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:42 pm Some U-he stuff works ok and some are working but not if I try to open the GUI
Filed a bug on the Ardour bug tracking portal but they point me to U-he for a solution.
The crash when opening the GUI in Ardour was fixed in the revision 9775 builds posted in the first post of this thread.
ZebraHZ 9724 and Repro 9669 will crash, since they are not revision 9775.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:00 am
skottish wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:26 pm It's happening at note on. The GUI fires up, is responsive, and I haven't been able to reproduced it in any other way. Zebrify seems to work perfectly.
Thanks for the detailed info.
I've installed the latest Ardour 6 pre build (pre1.156) and can play Zebra just fine (that's in UbuntuStudio 17.04 though).
Not really sure what to do, but since it works in Reaper, and since there've been bugs in Ardour which affected our plugins in the past, I'd suggest to file a bug report with them to see if they can find out what's happening.
Sorry that I can't be more of a help.
Interestingly, 9775 in Reaper after some time starts to produce 100% CPU use on one core and cripples the graphics system wide. As far as I can tell, all other u-he plugins work fine including HZ. The trouble is, I really want Ardour to work and something is seriously wrong with Zebra2, the 9775 build, and something related to the graphics sub-system on my system. I've tried rolling back the Xserver and Mesa to no avail. I supposes I can change to a different kernel and see if there's a bug related to my GPU that got introduced somewhere.

I've owned Zebra for years and every time I want to start to use it, there's something wrong: stuck notes, pops, crashes... I wish Zebra 3 were here.

skottish wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:10 am I've owned Zebra for years and every time I want to start to use it, there's something wrong: stuck notes, pops, crashes... I wish Zebra 3 were here.
Zebra2 and ZebraHZ are basically identical, apart from the skins and the few additional options in the ZebraHZ plugin. So if ZebraHZ works, but there is an issue in Zebra2, it might be either due to a difference in the plugin preferences, or a difference in the used plugin format, or a problem with the installation. You could also try to switch to another skin, to see if the problem persists.

And if you have ideas how we can ensure complete compatibility and stability in a Linux system which has been built from the ground up by the user, with a configuration which is very likely unique to this one single user, then please let us know. :wink:
Unfortunately, the world of Linux, with all its different distros, and desktop environments, and kernels, is a vast world, which makes it nearly impossible to guarantee full compatibility with each and every possible configuration.
But if we can help, we will try our best, of course.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:38 pmBut if we can help, we will try our best, of course.
Check this out. I discovered under Ardour that I can use FMO, Comb, and Noise, as sound sources and Zebra2/HZ does not crash. If I use Osc, it crashes on note on regardless if it's from an external keyboard the or the internal one. As well, the lane can be muted and Zebra/Ardour still crashes.

EDIT: If the OSC volume is set to 0, then Ardour doesn't crash.

I'm still trying to get HZ to start the runaway process in Reaper like Zebra2 does. I don't remember it happening with any other plugin, but then again, they all work in Ardour as far as I know. I'll keep trying to see if I can find the pattern with this one.

skottish wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:37 pm Check this out. I discovered under Ardour that I can use FMO, Comb, and Noise, as sound sources and Zebra2/HZ does not crash. If I use Osc, it crashes on note on regardless if it's from an external keyboard the or the internal one. As well, the lane can be muted and Zebra/Ardour still crashes.
That's very precise, thanks for this.
I wish I could reproduce the problem, but I can't.
I'll ask Alexandre to have a look, maybe he has an idea.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:18 am
skottish wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:37 pm Check this out. I discovered under Ardour that I can use FMO, Comb, and Noise, as sound sources and Zebra2/HZ does not crash. If I use Osc, it crashes on note on regardless if it's from an external keyboard the or the internal one. As well, the lane can be muted and Zebra/Ardour still crashes.
That's very precise, thanks for this.
I wish I could reproduce the problem, but I can't.
I'll ask Alexandre to have a look, maybe he has an idea.
Zebra2 9775 seems to have magically fixed itself in some recent Ardour build or whatnot. I don't know if the runaway CPU use thing in Reaper is still an issue as I was running HZ there. So, I'll mark this is as "not broken enough to say that it seems to be broken!"

*** EDIT ***

Sadly, Repro 9669 didn't get the same magical treatment

*** EDIT 2 ***

The single-core 100% CPU issue with Zebra2 9775 is present in either Ardour or Reaper. It does not seem to happen with ZebraHZ. I does happen frequently during standard playing/tweaking.
Last edited by skottish on Sat May 02, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I've got Hive and Zebra up and running in Reaper on a Chromebook, via Crostini. Main limitation, as far as I can see, is the lack of USB midi support. Though I'm sure latency will also come up as an issue.

Had to look up that pasta-sounding thing, (yeah, I'm that guy :dog: )
but thats great news in general. (I did break down
and make a lasagna-feed :wink: )

There may be a gazillion more Chromebooks
being handed out soon by taxpayer funded agencies, to be
the new healthy classrooms in the sky, so the Reaper, U-he
and other bean-counters might do well to create educational
license products for that emerging market :hyper:

If only our High School bands had an edu Hive license,
it would have put the whole lazy brass section on notice :hyper:

glokraw wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:12 pm There may be a gazillion more Chromebooks being handed out soon by taxpayer funded agencies, to be the new healthy classrooms in the sky, so the Reaper, U-he and other bean-counters might do well to create educational license products for that emerging market :hyper:
The LMS software market is aiming at large business numbers such as $250 billion worldwide. See Bloomberg for instance. Of course, the current school system must be dismantled and moved to online services. But once this is done (!) supporting software, adapted to LMS frameworks, for instance to learn music, could benefit from that business.

The way things are going I think that the school system will be re-oriented. The business opportunity is too important for a sinking capitalist system to let go of such an opportunity.

I just want to say "Thank you!" for the continuous work on the Linux builds. I bought Repro and Presswerk and currently testing other ports. I'm very interested in Uhbik 2, because of the revised GUI (i use a 4K display, the older plugins are very small) and maybe new features/algorithms.

If it is of any interest, i use Renoise on Clear Linux.

Just was trying Repro-1 (9669) and Repro-2 (9669) in Ardour 6. They both crash. All other tested plugins work. I guess that's a known issue as written in the first post and is not solved with Ardour 6.

lilith93 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:11 pm Just was trying Repro-1 (9669) and Repro-2 (9669) in Ardour 6. They both crash.
The crash was fixed in rev. 9775, but as mentioned in the first post of the thread, Repro needed to stay at rev. 9669, and thus should not be used with Ardour atm.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:11 am
lilith93 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:11 pm Just was trying Repro-1 (9669) and Repro-2 (9669) in Ardour 6. They both crash.
The crash was fixed in rev. 9775, but as mentioned in the first post of the thread, Repro needed to stay at rev. 9669, and thus should not be used with Ardour atm.
Thanks, will use something else then.

First of all, thank you for supporting Linux!

I'm getting consistent crashes from both Zebra2 (2.9.1) and Podolski. Both are build 9775. I can open them, they play sounds just fine, and I can edit parameters that have round interface elements. But anything that is a dropdown, square or rectangular element (like the pitch bend range on Zebra2) crashes.

I can go to MIDI learn mode in Zebra2 and set the pitch bend range to be controlled by a MIDI slider. It will play sounds and I can change the pitch bend range from the MIDI slider. It's only when I click a dropdown, square or rectangular GUI element that it (or Podolsky) crashes.

I'm running the latest Reaper (6.12c) on Ubuntu 19.10 with a low latency kernal, and stock (Gnome, I think) GUI.

Edit: I just tested Presswork (another fine plugin that I was happy to buy!), and it crashes if I click on the "initview" dropdown in the top center of the plugin.

Thanks again for porting your fine plugins to Linux!

Return to “u-he Linux support”