DJing with Bitwig

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I'm still very new to Bitwig want to start building a DJ project and i have 200 odd files all processed with Mixed In Key. I had started this project in Ableton a while ago so i'm used to warping tracks.

In Ableton warp details were saved in the .asd files. So my question is what's the best way of saving this info with BW... as far as I can work out saving the files as clips in My Library is the best way to go... any better techniques or tips?

Ta!

Bitwig doesn't save external analysis file like Ableton does. However, Bitwig can and does READ .asd files and uses the metadata in those if they exist.

Bitwig's stretching (warping) sound is arguably better than Ableton's. (Elastique Pro is much better than Ableton's Complex or Complex Pro.) It's onset (transient) detection is equally bad as Abletons. Where you'll miss Ableton is that you can have Ableton plop down stretch markers automatically at every detected transient (which isn't always what you want, but....). But in Bitwig you'll have to manually place and drag the stretch markers as you go.

That said, if your goal is to DJ and you're already using prep tools like Mixed in Key, why not just use real DJ software? And a real DJ controller? You can get an excellent starter controller like the Pioneer DDJ-200 AND a full license to rekordbox DJ for only $150 USD. The habits and muscle memory you learn on something like a DDJ-200 will translate to pretty much every club environment since most are standardized on Pioneer gear.

If you prep your tracks and sets for Bitwig (or Ableton), you'll have to go through all that again (and differently) if you ever move up to more standard gear. Or you can just start using rekordbox right off the bat and your prepped tracks will be good to go until somebody manages to kick Pioneer off the throne.

Hey, Yokai!

Thanks so much for your reply. I've been watching a lot of your videos recently and really appreciate the detail you go into, thank you for them.

I was wondering which stretch mode to use as well, so you pre-empted that. I have actually been thinking about DJ controller too as I just need to sit at my desk and have good old mixing session. Had no idea Pioneer had a cheap entry level device, will certainly look into that.

Thanks again.

There seems to be only Stagecraft offering DJ VSTs, which would be an option. Has anybody tried them? The synths from Stagecraft are a bit so lala...

Yokai wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:19 am Bitwig doesn't save external analysis file like Ableton does. However, Bitwig can and does READ .asd files and uses the metadata in those if they exist.
I just try to switch to bitwig for djing from ableton but i got some problems.

Bitwig does read .asd files but its heavily bugged for me. Because of the way i put the hitpoints in ableton i guess. So everthing in front of the first hitpoint (mostly the drop, which i also define as start-point "0") just gets cut (and you can't make it reappear until you delete the asd-file) and later hitpoints are not used. Only the tempo-defintion of the first hitpoint :(

In ableton i just use a part of a song to define the tempo of the whole song with two hitpoints. And then only move the start of the song to the position i want. so much easier... (if the tempo stays the same of course)

It really seems like a huge oversight because there are many dj-features in bitwig but handling songs and tempo just does not work. Nobody wants to define the tempo and starting-point again everytime you load the same song... And it's also much harder to do because bpm-detection is so much worse in bitwig.

also how can i navigate inside clips? like jump 4 bars etc. forward or backward without using the mouse.

Am i missing something? If i put tracks into bitwig it's a mess, the tempos are almost always wrong and nothing starts on the beats. I put the same tracks into ableton and everything pretty much gets the same tempos rekordbox gives, most tracks start on the beat, and it just works, only problem is it's ableton and i don't like it as a daw :dog:

Is there a way to get bitwig to be more precise with loading full tracks to performs a dj set?
I'm recording a show so it would be so helpful to use bitwig instead of rekordbox

yes, absolutely agree... better or let's call it easier dj set with bitwig would be a nice addition.

I make performances techno music live with Bitwig but it is not with full songs. it is made of dozens of audio items that I launch along the show with the APC40 plugged in the Mac. There are better doing soft to sync a full songs playlist than bigwig. Bitwig is more dedicated to improvisation on the fly, music producers.
My YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCshb2f ... k5DJM0cwqg

There is a VST version of Cross DJ. I had big hopes, but its almost unusable, you can control it directly with a DJ controller, which is a plus (no need for a dedicated Bitwig script). But none of the controls is exposed to the DAW and Link doesn‘t work either. That renders it useless… Its better to run a standalone DJ software in parallel to Bitwig.
Then I got a plugin called VSTPlayer, but there is no tempo support at all… Its ok if you just play back tracks and don‘t want to load them into the project…
At the moment the best solution is to run a linkable DJ standalone app which can load plugins and use the Bluecat Connector to stream the audio to Bitwig for further processing…

Somewhat" semi-ON Topic heads up! ;)
Ableton Live 11.2.11 works "acceptable" on Linux with the most recent WINE without any magic tricks recipe (the new'ish Windows 11 -mode works).
Just do the offline activation and we can use Live to beatmatch pain in the *X* drifting oldies and stuff like that to use in Bitwig. :phones: :tu:
PS-whisper: 256 buffer "5ms" 'ish at 48000 should be ok. :ud:

SmajjL wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:01 am Ableton Live 11.2.11 works "acceptable" on Linux with the most recent WINE without any magic tricks recipe (the new'ish Windows 11 -mode works).
Just do the offline activation and we can use Live to beatmatch pain in the *X* drifting oldies and stuff
SmajjL.. Just know that there is a limit in how many times you can activate that way, after that you need to send Ableton a box of choclates or something to get new ones 8)
*SLAP!*
End of Ableton-talk ;) :ud:

If someone has got a dj software synced with ableton link, so you can both DJ and clip launch from Bitwig, with the same laptop I'm curious who has done that.

The bitwig clips would be basically more interactive than a DJ set can be because they would have VST instruments with mod-wheel, knobs, and touch-strip expression capability.

DJ software typically has one or two simple delay and filter effects and a knob per function workflow, which is far better for actual DJ'ing than bitwig.
Last edited by wpostma on Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I thought the onset algorythm has been improved not long ago, is it still weak?

i would love to see a detailed comparison video, where someone pulls tracks into Bitwig and Ableton, and compares the warping/onset algorithm!! Does such a video exist? Especially with the new auto-warp functionality in Ableton 11.3
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

Return to “Bitwig”