Basic AU Sequencer

Official support for: ju-x.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would love to have a basic piano roll and sequencer for Hosting AU.
Something similar to Seq24
Imagehttp://www.filter24.org/seq24

What do you think?

HostingAU is brilliant, so light and the fans on the laptop are silent. :tu:

I've once developed a step sequencer called Sequera (discontinued atm). Hosting AU is originally had a concept to be used with it.

So right this moment, there should be a replacement good sequencer for you on Mac? Hmm... basically I'm not very much up to add more GUI panes on Hosting AU. Even trying to remove any GUI element from the current version... :)

If it's something like a classic hardware sequencer, GUI addition will be super minimum.
Everglide wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:09 am HostingAU is brilliant, so light and the fans on the laptop are silent. :tu:
Appreciate your words!

What I like about HostingAU is the size, speed and minimalism, nothing gets in the way. I like your approach, not to add anything extra to the existing interface. I was originally thinking it would load as an Audio Unit. But now you have me thinking otherwise :wink:

If you are considering adding a Sequencer, a Sequera 2.0 then you don't need the 'Test Sequence' button. Rather, you could replace the word 'Test Sequencer' with Sequencer which loads a new window. :party:

If this has piqued your interest, there a wonderful idea floating on GS which I think would be very popular if done correctly. Atari timing

If a new window must be created, I guess I'll make it as standalone (sequencer) app, since there's another major usages of Hosting AU which is systemwide eq-ing.

But still, very simple loop based sequencer could be an idea. Test Sequence buttons will be removed for sure in the next major update.
Everglide wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:53 pm If this has piqued your interest, there a wonderful idea floating on GS which I think would be very popular if done correctly. Atari timing
It must be tested to make sure, or I can only tell assumptions. I had 1040ST, but let it go long time ago.

I think if you set the buffer size smaller in Hosting AU, MIDI (I mean audio in result) will be processed faster.

junojux wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:24 am If a new window must be created, I guess I'll make it as standalone (sequencer) app, since there's another major usages of Hosting AU which is systemwide eq-ing.
Whatever approach you take I'd be happy with either. The only Sequencer I found that works for me is Alchemy which is bloated for my minimal needs. Is there a benefit to a system wide EQ?

junojux wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:24 amIt must be tested to make sure, or I can only tell assumptions. I had 1040ST, but let it go long time ago.
Such a shame you sold your Atari ST. The quote "If you build they will come" springs to mind. Your DAW is built for Sequencing...

junojux wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:24 amthink if you set the buffer size smaller in Hosting AU, MIDI (I mean audio in result) will be processed faster.
Interesting that you brought that up. This is exactly what I'm doing and I was curious to know what the round trip was between Hosting AU and my interface. Assuming Hosting AU is more efficient than a full DAW. Latency would be a handy readout :tu:

Whatever approach you take I'd be happy with either. The only Sequencer I found that works for me is Alchemy which is bloated for my minimal needs. Is there a benefit to a system wide EQ?
Ah, I thought who uses Hosting AU for systemwide EQ-ing may not like the addition of a sequencer. Thinking this well now...
Interesting that you brought that up. This is exactly what I'm doing and I was curious to know what the round trip was between Hosting AU and my interface. Assuming Hosting AU is more efficient than a full DAW. Latency would be a handy readout :tu:
Audio interface? It requests hosts to process each block of audio data periodically. And the size of the block is the buffer size.

If you set the buffer size smaller, audio will be processed by shorter period each next to next. But it typically eats more cpu by setting shorter buffer size, which is drawback. Hosting AU is light weight, so you may be able to set shorter buffer size in Hosting AU than in other DAWs if other conditions are same.

Return to “Ju-X”