Eventide H3000 Factory @ $79 - worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
H3000 Factory

Hmmm ... no analog emulation in the software, thin vs. full, etc.

I hesitated to comment as reading this thread there are obviously many posters far above my pay grade. But the H3000 Factory sale price of $79.00 had piqued my interest enough to Google around and find this post.

So pardon my French, but doesn't this just call for some harmonic mischief in the chain to get some good FX ... regardless of whether it is exactly like the original?

And finally, presuming that one can pleasingly add that distortion, is this a relevant plugin in 2023?
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

como baila wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:21 pm is this a relevant plugin in 2023?
I never use it. It’s not really up to the same level of accuracy that Eventide’s newer emulations are, like the current Clockworks bundle (which I do use.)

I think if they did an H3000 MKII, I would use it a lot.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

It is the exact same for me.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Love their other vintage emulations, the H9 series plugins, Physion and Split EQ etc and use these regularly.

The H3000 plugin is junk in comparison. Doesn't include all the algorithms (you have to buy Band Delays separately for instance), has a horrible interface which looks like it was designed when the H3000 was new (ha ha), and honestly doesn't really do anything that great without mind numbing programming in that terrible interface...and even then, there is much better plugins to do those type effects now.

I grew up mostly using vintage effects pedals but always wanted an H3000 and this was a huge disappointment. Their other plugins, especially the newer ones, are quite good. I hope they completely trash these H3000 ones and start over. I know they could do a good job at it. I think it is weighing the Eventide collection down right now.

If you listen to that comparison video posted earlier, the algorithms are pretty bang on. Definitely seem like a straight code port. It's just missing the extra tone of the hardware. In any case, if you like sound tinkering, H3000 factory is pretty irreplaceable still.

It does need a v2 for sure though. The GUI and UX are pretty bad by 2022 standards.

The worflow and UI are awefull, yes.
But those presets...
I usually favor programing from scratch, but those are really nice...

I recently got offered an upgrade to Anthology for a price not much more than this so I have it now and I like the sound but yes it needs a larger, more modern, interface to encourage me to actually do much with it beyond just using presets (which are great though).

Physion 2 has that but I don't like the latency

Mixed opinions ... but thoughtful ones. Thanks.

Sale continues till January 2nd I believe, so seems at least worth a download demo for further look.
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

One thing to keep in mind is that every Eventide plugin you own gets you a deeper discount on upgrading. I spent maybe $500 total to get Anthology XII, by getting a bunch of plugins free during giveaways and picking up a handful of plugins during sales like this one over the years, and then finally a deep discount to upgrade to Anthology for a couple hundred when XII came out.

H3000 Factory is one I had bought in a sale ($99 I think) a few years ago, and that took a lot off my upgrade price by itself. So that may be a reason to get it now at this price.

there's no way I would have ever bought Anthology outright, but $50 here, $100 there, spread out over years made it pretty painless.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

It s not like the hardware that I heard many years ago but It s a great plugin

I use It mainly to spread out the vocals

como baila wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:21 pm Hmmm ... no analog emulation in the software, thin vs. full, etc.

I hesitated to comment as reading this thread there are obviously many posters far above my pay grade. But the H3000 Factory sale price of $79.00 had piqued my interest enough to Google around and find this post.

So pardon my French, but doesn't this just call for some harmonic mischief in the chain to get some good FX ... regardless of whether it is exactly like the original?

And finally, presuming that one can pleasingly add that distortion, is this a relevant plugin in 2023?
Sure. There are plenty of really good preamp emulations that can be driven a bit to produce a bit of extra harmonics when called for. Put one in front and one after and adjust to taste. I usually put a little preamp emulation on any digital type of synth that needs a bit of warmth. I like to use one to roll off the lows before my reverb.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Effects”