Alternatives to Jamstix?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This reminded me of my old Jamstix license.
Is this really the GUI now?

There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

Forgotten wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:45 pm
Etienne1973 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:03 pm
Forgotten wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:35 amSomething that can generate intelligent drum patterns from a basic pattern or MIDI input?
Steinberg Groove Agent 5
Does it generate variations and fills?
Yes, from its own styles absolutely. But you're looking (also) for something that varies user MIDI drum patterns in an intelligent way, right?

Jamstix takes a basic pattern and a drummer style and creates drum parts based on that. It creates them from either predefined parts or MIDI. Lots of tweakable parameters too.

Looking for something similar but better maintained.

If you ask me then I answer: There's no real alternative as we speak. :(

Shame. Ralph was always so responsive, and bugs were quickly squashed, but it’s not getting much attention anymore and has some major UI bugs.

Groove Agent and some Air drums (Transfuser and the other one I forgot it's name!) have complexity degree not intelligent patterns depending on your music like jamstix.

Anyway, for electronic beats I would use randomiser for one line (like hats or kicks) then keep pressing the random button till I get something fitting better (like in Computer Drum of Sugar Bytes). If in a sequencer, I just fill the line manually but almost random (FL Studio is fast with that).

For a "pro" acoustic drums though, I have bought hundreds of midi patterns and keep reviewing them (I need Cubase or Reaper in that case).

Doesn't Logic Pro have drummers? Otherwise you can hire a real drummer if you are rich ;)

Not really using it for electronic drums as those are easy to program/sequence. I’m more interested in natural fills.

If I had space for a kit I’d play them myself, but looking for something that can creates natural sounding fills and variations. Jamstix can do that (if it was working right)

I recently bought Jamstix and it actually seems quite unique in many of its functions...we definitely need more like it (or just more updates and support). It does crash occasionally on Win 10 if you try and drag'n'drop the MIDI, but not as bad as you're experiencing.

Yeah, I am using it on Mac, and the last update introduced some serious bugs that haven’t been fixed. For example, every time I click on the interface it goes black, and needs a second click to make the interface reappear...

I own both Jamstix and EZDrummer2. EZDrummer2 can import MIDI and generate parts from it. I have tried to use Jamstix for years without much success, too complex for me...

Jamstix is amazing, and it’s not as complex as you think - once you learn it there is so much you can do with it.

I checked out EZ Drummer, but it seems like it doesn’t create variations or fills.

You are right EZDrummer does not "generate" parts but it can "find" matching parts from a MIDI groove with Song Creator. I find this very useful...
Here's a video that demonstrate this a little bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Yv_ElNC5E
Last edited by mpoirier on Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It’s not exactly the same, but try MDrummer by Melda. I think there’s a free or cheap version.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Nothing really does what Jamstix does as far as I can tell - others do the MIDI library basically, and Jamstix produces stuff on the fly with unique and subtle variations.

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:37 pm It’s not exactly the same, but try MDrummer by Melda. I think there’s a free or cheap version.
OP wrote please no melda due to their mac customer policy. But Jamstix is unbeaten anyways with the requirements OP has.

Return to “Instruments”