Would you help me find a backup solution?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
monomox
KVRist
402 posts since 27 Nov, 2017 from CO, USA

Post Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:07 am

This is the "eat more vegetables" of my to do list, always bugging me from the back of my mind. I do my "research," but never actually take action. I think I'm just overthinking this.
So, this is my configuration:
  • Win 10 booting from a 500 GB SDD
  • Internal 2 TB hard drive, backed up mostly on the cloud via Dropbox
  • External 4 TB hard drive
What I would like:
  • a set an forget backup solution that uses my external HDD as storage, I'm thinking there must be something out there for $50 or less, but would consider something more expensive. It would create and maintain the following:
  • an image from the 500 GB SDD that I can hopefully use to resuscitate my PC in the event of the unthinkable, updated once every couple of days (even once a week). Maybe keep one, and only one old version (i.e., not clutter my storage with old images)
  • a mirror of the internal 2 TB drive, synchronized daily with just the updated files, I don't want compression or checking for duplicate files
I don't need a Pentagon-grade solution, just something simple that accounts for what could happen to 98% of average users (i.e., I don't care for apocalyptic scenarios).
I've used Win 10's backup tool, but it left me with the nagging feeling that it was going to eat up all my external hard drive. In case it's not clear, this is a mental block, I'm pretty savvy with computers, but this backup stresses me more than it should.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks!
Last edited by monomox on Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarkStar
KVRAF
9592 posts since 2 Sep, 2003 from Surrey, UK

Post Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:17 am

Have a look at Acronis True Image
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

monomox
KVRist

Post Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:42 am

DarkStar wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:17 am
Have a look at Acronis True Image
fits the bill
thanks mate

Pictus
KVRist
406 posts since 21 Aug, 2017 from Brasil

Post Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:10 pm

Steve Bolivar
KVRian
693 posts since 25 Aug, 2006

Post Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:06 pm

2BrightSparlks SyncBack might work for you. They have free, mid($40) and high level($55).
https://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/compare.html
We use it at my job to back up individual computers' data to our NAS and company network storage. I don't think it does drive imaging.

lobanov
KVRist
442 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Post Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:23 pm

SyncBack (Free version) is all you need for backing up your internal drive. Also check GoodSync (paid) and FreeFileSync (free with paid features).

For my system drive I use AOMEI Backupper Pro (check internet, you could get it for free officially). But there are many similar options.

monomox
KVRist

Post Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:37 pm

by the way, this thread is old, but just in case it's helpful, I'm using Macrium free to backup my booting drive, and FreeFileSync to mirror my secondary drive, and Dropbox Business to backup my most important folders (my music, etc.).
thanks for yall's suggestions!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”