Helix Native or ampliTube 4

August 2019 is the first KVR Guitar Month so here's a new forum for discussion of all things guitar!
dazzzer1
KVRer
16 posts since 16 Jan, 2018

Post Fri May 08, 2020 1:18 am

I am trying to decided which one is best and if anyone has both that can compare the two , Now I have tried ampliTube and I tested the helix floor model a few years ago, but didn't get enough time with it to know its full potential,

Burillo
KVRAF
3949 posts since 15 Nov, 2006 from Hell

Post Fri May 08, 2020 1:30 am

Helix Native hands down.
From Russia with love
Our online jams (if you speak Russian - you're welcome to join!)

SLiC
KVRAF
5321 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Fri May 08, 2020 1:41 am

I have both Amplitbe Max and Helix Native.

They both sound good, you would have to demo them both to see what you prefer, but the more recent Amplitube offerings sound as good to me as Helix in some cases...however you will have to keep paying, and paying, and paying... Amplitube is a rather annoying ‘shop’ window for IKs new stuff, constantly tempting you to buy more by showing you amps and fx in the software you own that you can not use!

For just that reason alone I would recommend Helix. Almost everything else is subjective (sound, GUI etc) but Helix also has a massive advantage if you play live (as there is an identical floor pedal hardware equivalent)

Personally I use Helix most of the time and there have been a lot of new update (new amps, new fx) for free, I am more than happy with Helix and the support and fairly constant free it has had from Line6.
Win 10 PC+ Surface with an X32 Desk, BWS, Live and Studio One, Hardware Synths + Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses and Amps

kovacs
KVRAF
2569 posts since 5 Dec, 2003 from Harlan's World

Post Fri May 08, 2020 2:10 am

Amplitube has a lot of packages and models, excellent sound (as long as you have a good, strong signal into your computer). It's a nice package but the interface is a bit old and too small for my liking. Lots of great content, but a MAJOR drawback is that the preset list includes presets which use models you don't own, and there is no way to know - it's a really stupid business choice and it has pushed me away from the app. I use it when I just need a quick "plug and play" session with my fave presets. I own IK's Axe I/O interface so I have tons of Amplitube stuff. My conclusion is that the interface is *fantastic* but Amplitube is getting too old.

Helix Native - a bit expensive IMHO but I got it for $99 since I own a HX Stomp foot pedal. The interface is obviously similar to the Helix floor units, with some more features because of the larger screen estate. The quality of the presets are in my mind excellent, and the possiblities in the app are quite interesting (the various routing options etc).

But if you dig deeper the two apps are really similar when it comes to signal paths, choice of equipment, quality of sound etc.

You really need to try them out.
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

SLiC
KVRAF

Post Fri May 08, 2020 2:16 am

You also get a lot of 'stuff' with Helix 60+ amplifiers, 30+ speaker cabinets, and 100+ effects all included in the price versus just 9 amplifiers, 10 speaker cabinets, and just 10 effects in the Standard Amplitude 4 (https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/a ... php?p=gear) apparently (maybe someone else can confirm, I only have MAX). I can confirm there is a lot more gear in HELIX than Amplitube 'MAX', so I would say in terms of value on 'gear count' HELIX wins hands down.

Helix doesn't do pretty graphic representations of the stuff (that may be important to some people I guess). It isn't as ''pretty' but it is far clearer and easier to use, it is also resizable/scalable. Amplitube is way to small if you have a 4K monitor and may be 'fiddley' for some people (that incudes me!)

The other main feature I should,l probably have mentioned (as it is not subjective) is that Helix lets you very easily load your own IR's, this does make a difference.

My only real criticism of Helix 'Native' is that is has a pretty primitive preset system compared to modern software only solutions (tagging, browse by category etc) which I assume is due to it having to load in to the hardware- It would be nice to have both options!
Win 10 PC+ Surface with an X32 Desk, BWS, Live and Studio One, Hardware Synths + Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses and Amps

kovacs
KVRAF
2569 posts since 5 Dec, 2003 from Harlan's World

Post Fri May 08, 2020 2:38 am

SLiC wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:16 am
I can confirm there is a lot more gear in HELIX than Amplitube 'MAX', so I would say in terms of value on 'gear count' HELIX wins hands down.
I own both (although not MAX) and was not aware of this. :o :hug:
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

Burillo
KVRAF
3949 posts since 15 Nov, 2006 from Hell

Post Fri May 08, 2020 2:50 am

Amplitube MAX isn't true "max" - you don't get everything with it. with Helix, it's a one time payment with free updates.
From Russia with love
Our online jams (if you speak Russian - you're welcome to join!)

SLiC
KVRAF

Post Fri May 08, 2020 2:57 am

kovacs wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:38 am
SLiC wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:16 am
I can confirm there is a lot more gear in HELIX than Amplitube 'MAX', so I would say in terms of value on 'gear count' HELIX wins hands down.
I own both (although not MAX) and was not aware of this. :o :hug:
Helix is currently running at 60+ amplifiers, 30+ speaker cabinets, and 100+ effects 'so far' as every free little update we get a handful more cabs, amps and fx...as well as new features, this was the free little update we just had in April (1.9)...they seem to come 1 or 2 a year...

Revv Gen Purple, based on the purple Gain 1 channel of the Revv Generator 120
1×12 Fullerton, based on the classic 1953 Fender 5C3 Tweed Deluxe
1×12 Grammatico, based on the modern 2016 Grammatico LaGrange
Alpaca Rouge, inspired by a modded Way Huge Red Llama
Legendary Drive, based on the Carvin VLD1 Legacy Drive (high-gain channel)
Xenomorph Fuzz, inspired by the Subdecay Harmonic Antagonizer
Rochester Comp, based on the Ashly CLX-52 and created in conjunction with Billy Sheehan
Pebble Phaser, based on the Electro-Harmonix Small Stone phaser

If it was IK this would be a $99 'add on' or $30 an 'item' each time!

kranick
KVRer
4 posts since 27 Aug, 2019

Post Sat May 09, 2020 1:01 pm

I think they both sound great! I have Amplitube with all expansions (excluding 'Brian May') and Helix. Amplitube is my go-to app for the several years. I found two reasons why i prefer Amplitube: (a) it has a standolone app, so I could launch only one app instead of DAW+Helix, and (b) I think the Amplitube's interface looks like a real amp so I understand all my current settings by view.

CapnLockheed
KVRAF
2387 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from Central NY

Post Sun May 10, 2020 12:41 pm

kranick wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:01 pm
I think they both sound great! I have Amplitube with all expansions (excluding 'Brian May') and Helix. Amplitube is my go-to app for the several years. I found two reasons why i prefer Amplitube: (a) it has a standolone app, so I could launch only one app instead of DAW+Helix, and (b) I think the Amplitube's interface looks like a real amp so I understand all my current settings by view.
I totally agree. Maybe some players like Helix's GUI. Personally, I can't stand it. I also agree that it's preset handling leaves much to be desired. And I've been a Line6 user for a LONG time. I liked PodFarm2's GUI AND preset handling much better than Helix's. Helix does sound better than previous Line6 products but I don't like the direction they've gone in since PodFarm2/PodX3. But that's just my opinion. Good sounds can be coaxed from both but I prefer Amplitube as it looks and reacts like much of the hardware I used, (and STILL use), for decades. I suppose many younger players that were born with a mouse in their hands don't mind software GUIS that do not in anyway correlate with ANYTHING in the real world. But that aint me babe. :D
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

ilikemydaw
KVRer
6 posts since 10 May, 2020

Post Sun May 10, 2020 1:54 pm

Helix without a doubt. Only heard good things about it and amplitube is pretty amateur

CapnLockheed
KVRAF

Post Sun May 10, 2020 3:20 pm

Only heard good things about it
Do you actually OWN either Helix or Amplitube? Or a decent tube amp? Or real speaker cabinets? Or analog stompboxes? I own all of the above and have A/B'd Amplitube Max and Helix Live extensively. And, as I said, I prefer Amplitube....but that's just my opinion. Which I have based on DECADES of being a professional guitarist and audio engineer. But hey if you've "heard" that Helix is "better" who am I to dispute that? I've also heard that drinking Clorox and injecting Lysol will cure COVID-19.

jamcat
KVRist
319 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Sun May 10, 2020 3:59 pm

ilikemydaw wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:54 pm
Helix without a doubt. Only heard good things about it and amplitube is pretty amateur
The original name was going to be AmpaTeur when it first came out 20 years ago. :lol:

tylerdedera
KVRist
92 posts since 13 Mar, 2019

Post Sun May 10, 2020 5:33 pm

I own both, and to me Helix is far superior in just about everything with exception to a few amp models. Amplitubes Mesas and Oranges sound way better out of the box, and the mic positioning options are slightly more advanced in Amplitube as well. But Helix generally sounds better and has more all around options for shaping sounds & tone in my opinion. Not to mention the vast amounts of pedals and effects Helix has and adds in their free updates.

CapnLockheed
KVRAF

Post Wed May 13, 2020 12:14 pm

tylerdedera wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 5:33 pm
I own both, and to me Helix is far superior in just about everything with exception to a few amp models. Amplitubes Mesas and Oranges sound way better out of the box, and the mic positioning options are slightly more advanced in Amplitube as well. But Helix generally sounds better and has more all around options for shaping sounds & tone in my opinion. Not to mention the vast amounts of pedals and effects Helix has and adds in their free updates.
I agree that both sound great. I also agree that helix has some superior sounds and more options and more/better models in some categories. That being said, I still don't like it's GUI and preset handling. Also the Orange collection is a BIG part of why, for me personally, I prefer Amplitube. I've been playing REAL Orange amps since the late 70's and IK got that sound right. I've also been part of the ReValver beta team since before V1...long before Peavey bought them out. It too has it's strengths and weakness. But usually when I just want to open a standalone app and jam, (which you can't do with Helix), I tend to reach for Amplitube. But that's just my OPINION. There's no such thing as a "best" amp, guitar or ampsim. It's ALL just a matter of personal taste.

Return to “Guitars”