No love for Crave EQ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i despise unequivocally any product or service name, or slogan, with the word "crave" in it so no
no love from me

audiot wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:20 pm Equick looks good and the price is also okay. I will check it out. Thank you!
Sure, put them all in your usual use and go with your gut feeling, price and features aren't everything to go by, I never found ProQ faster to work with than competition, it looks nice and there's huge hype around it, but DMG Equick/Equilibrium looks even nicer to me and is much better to work with, but with Acon Digital Equalize I got the fastest and best results, so that was it for me, it have minimal, mixed and linear mode, it can do all the curves I want much faster than anything else, price is ok too, so yeah, try them all and see what makes most sense to you.

Kazi7 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:41 pm
audiot wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:31 pm Interesting video, but as far as i know Cubase stock EQ's are not phase-linear, right? I can clearly hear a difference when I boost frequencies with Crave EQ or Pro Q (less distortion). Usually I dont use technical EQ's for boosting frequencies (only for lowering) but these linear phase eq's work surprisingly well in that case.
No, they are not phase-linear, but in most scenarios this doesn't really matter, especially not on individual instrument channels. It matters on busses and masters, since there it would possible affect negatively the phase coherence of the program material (eg entire song) altogether.

I don't work with linear phase stuff on channels, too much latency and CPU for my liking (I do composition and mixing in one stage, so I need low latency settings, so that I can play melodies etcetera via MIDI while at the same time mixing - so now CPU and latency hogs at that stage for me).
You are right! Crave EQ introduces latency. Bit of a downer, but I think this is the same with all linear pase eq's. Thank you for your explanation!

Thank you guys!

I'm going offline for today, but I will demo EQuick, Hornet Total EQ and Acon Equalize and see what fits best.

Have a nice weekend!

Kazi7 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:41 pm No, they are not phase-linear, but in most scenarios this doesn't really matter, especially not on individual instrument channels. It matters on busses and masters
It matters on parallel processing or multi-mic'd recordings which occurs fairly often.

I think nothing beats ProQ, especially in v3. Crave EQ didn't click with me and the color scheme is quite annoying to my eyes. Similarly thing with most other copy cats.

Dam good GUI that's how they should all look.

audiot wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:15 pm Thank you guys!

I'm going offline for today, but I will demo EQuick, Hornet Total EQ and Acon Equalize and see what fits best.

Have a nice weekend!
If you want a great EQ, check out 'Air EQ' by Eiosis.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

audiot wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:06 pm
Kazi7 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:41 pm
audiot wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:31 pm Interesting video, but as far as i know Cubase stock EQ's are not phase-linear, right? I can clearly hear a difference when I boost frequencies with Crave EQ or Pro Q (less distortion). Usually I dont use technical EQ's for boosting frequencies (only for lowering) but these linear phase eq's work surprisingly well in that case.
No, they are not phase-linear, but in most scenarios this doesn't really matter, especially not on individual instrument channels. It matters on busses and masters, since there it would possible affect negatively the phase coherence of the program material (eg entire song) altogether.

I don't work with linear phase stuff on channels, too much latency and CPU for my liking (I do composition and mixing in one stage, so I need low latency settings, so that I can play melodies etcetera via MIDI while at the same time mixing - so now CPU and latency hogs at that stage for me).
You are right! Crave EQ introduces latency. Bit of a downer, but I think this is the same with all linear pase eq's. Thank you for your explanation!
Crave has four different phase options (Digital, Analog, Transparent, Linear). Digital has no latency.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZb-3qimewA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrq4PaZLLxI

If interested, look at a few different videos because some people miss obvious things. They can also show hidden features. A wide view and/or a read of the manual is advised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bDIMBhMqQY

^ Even the above video doesn't cover 100% of everything special about the plugin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nIQf9AtBjE

Aloysius wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:43 pm

Isn't that one more or less replaced by Infinity Eq now ?
More BPM please

Thanks, but I'm covered with my Tokyo Dawn Bundle.

dionenoid wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:26 pm
Aloysius wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:43 pm

Isn't that one more or less replaced by Infinity Eq now ?
I never used the Slate version of AirEQ Premium so it hasn't been replaced from my perspective. :)

I must admit, despite all its shortcomings and (what I consider to be) unrealized potential, AirEQ is still the first surgical EQ my hand reaches for. There's something in its (counter-intuitive) workflow that actually makes it faster for me to get satisfying results.
(I also have FF ProQ3 & DMG Equality).

EDIT: Sorry, I just reread the original post and I have to add, AirEQ doesn't have the linear phase mode. (I usually avoid LP mode like a plague).
Last edited by Scarlet Pumpernickel on Sun May 17, 2020 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

The name is not ideal.
I recommend:
Grave EQ
Subtitle: How low can you go?

And there's also an eq from Kilohearts called Carve Eq.
More BPM please

Return to “Effects”