is cakewalk a good daw?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 3:39 pm I wonder how stable and usable it really is these days. I mean... disregarding the gift horse thing.

IMO, what has a big influence on stability as well is the amount of users. More users discover more bugs, and bugs need to be reported to be fixed. Sonar used to be pretty buggy in former versions, so, Cakewalk has a lot to make up.
I've been using it for months on a cranky old laptop running Win7 and in all that time it has crashed once. Even the most stable software can do that from time to time.

Yeah, definitely. Good for them if they improved the DAW. :)

I started with Sonar 2, went to 5, and stuck with 8.5 Producer till Cakewalk by Bandlab emerged. Due to the issues I read about and the fact that Gibson would not let my official provider in all that time, sell to me. Since the advent of Bandlab it has improved considerably. You get a lot for free. And until last week I ran it on W7 with no issues. Just updated to W10 and all is fine (except Windows has trashed some of my plugins like Sampletank 2.5). On a 2 monitor system it is very good and informative.

It's had more bug fixes in the past year than probably any other program. I was a user from 1996 to 2014. Recently tried it for a deep project, and I've had zero crashes or problems. Even my 32 bit plugs don't make it crash. I'd say it's the most stable version I've used since around Sonar 4 or 5. Studio One is much more of a crashfest than Sonar these days.
What sound do dreams make when they die?

Nice GUI design look and functionality, but after two solid weeks with it, it imploded in upon itself for me, so I'd not recommend it to a friend because of that. Whether it's up to snuff or not now, is akin to giving someone two dices and having them roll them, in whether it will successfully work for them or not. It's like having a free ride in an old car maintained by enthusiasts but running in the slow lane of the motorway, but if the nuts come off the wheels, you really are gonna wish you bought your own car to ride in with lost time and work.

With other paid DAWs, you'll know that if you lose the wing mirror, that the AA services won't be far away in fixing it and giving you bumper gift during the period you have it later on in way of new features.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:29 pm Nice GUI design look and functionality, but after two solid weeks with it, it imploded in upon itself for me, so I'd not recommend it to a friend because of that. Whether it's up to snuff or not now, is akin to giving someone two dices and having them roll them, in whether it will successfully work for them or not. It's like having a free ride in an old car maintained by enthusiasts but running in the slow lane of the motorway, but if the nuts come off the wheels, you really are gonna wish you bought your own car to ride in with lost time and work.

With other paid DAWs, you'll know that if you lose the wing mirror, that the AA services won't be far away in fixing it and giving you bumper gift during the period you have it later on in way of new features.
Very negative conclusion on the basis of your own personal experience only, and Cakewalk's support is excellent, fast and friendly. Perhaps you shouldn't be quite so certain of your opinions, especially as there are plenty of good reviews going on here and yours is the only negative one. Maybe try using a real computer instead of a pocket calculator?

Erisian wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:35 pm Very negative conclusion on the basis of your own personal experience only, and Cakewalk's support is excellent, fast and friendly. Perhaps you shouldn't be quite so certain of your opinions, especially as there are plenty of good reviews going on here and yours is the only negative one. Maybe try using a real computer instead of a pocket calculator?
Well I'm not going to provide my experience in using the DAW based on other peoples opinions...it's a fair assessment I think. I also use two other major DAWs, over the past 19 years to compare with. You probably don't know of the videos I've captured of Cakewalk by Bandlab's bugs which I have online, in addition to what I've documented on these forums. Honestly, after spending time with it, going back to my other DAW Studio One was a relief in all respects. This was my experience..accept it, or don't accept it.

My PC is still fairly powerful, a Core I7 920 Quadcore 8 Thread desktop system @ 3.7Ghz, with 20 gigs of Ram, and an AMD Radeon Sapphire Pulse RX 570 8 Gig Graphics card ect.. Far from a humble calculator. :wink:
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Mon May 18, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:06 pm
Erisian wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:35 pm Very negative conclusion on the basis of your own personal experience only, and Cakewalk's support is excellent, fast and friendly. Perhaps you shouldn't be quite so certain of your opinions, especially as there are plenty of good reviews going on here and yours is the only negative one. Maybe try using a real computer instead of a pocket calculator?
Well I'm not going to provide my experience in using the DAW based on other peoples opinions...it's a fair assessment I think. I also use two other major DAWs, over the past 19 years to compare with. You probably don't know of the videos I've captured of Cakewalk by Bandlab's bugs which I have online, in addition to what I've documented on these forums. Honestly, after spending time with it, going back to my other DAW Studio One was a relief in all respects. This was my experience..accept it, or don't accept it.

My desktop PC is still fairly powerful, a Core I7 920 Quadcore 8 Thread desktop system @ 3.7Ghz, with 20 gigs of Ram, and an AMD Radeon Sapphire Pulse RX 570 8 Gig Graphics card ect.. Far from a humble calculator. :wink:
This is coming from a hardcore Studio One fanboi, so take his opinion with a grain of salt. Do some research and you will see what I mean.
Bob B.
Founder
dawtopia.com
Music Production Blog for Stage | Studio | Digital Audio Workstation
Helping Musicians Make Great Music, That's What We Do!

Just because I support users of a particular DAW I use, doesn't make me a fanboi. Do some real research, and you'll find that I am equally critical of certain areas of Studio One and indeed Reason by formally named 'Properllerheads' over the years. But on balance, they are more solid programs... and the amount of music I've produced reflects that. Cakewalk may well be much improved by when I last used it, but it's really not advancing in the way other paid DAWs are (Exceptions such as SAW Studio aside). So if you have the money, buying a commercial DAW will, reap greater benefits than others that are free. Do you value your time, to achieve your goals...? If the answer is yes, then the answer is obvious...

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:29 pm With other paid DAWs, you'll know that if you lose the wing mirror, that the AA services won't be far away in fixing it and giving you bumper gift during the period you have it later on in way of new features.
Just out of curiosity: did you ask for any kind of support? "Imploding" is not something you see much mentioned these days in the user forum, and it would surely get the attention of the developing team.

JoseC. wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:31 pm Just out of curiosity: did you ask for any kind of support? "Imploding" is not something you see much mentioned these days in the user forum, and it would surely get the attention of the developing team.
During the time they released Cakewalk By Bandlab, their official forums were locked to non-registered users of Cakewalk products. So yes, I did attempt to do so but it wasn't possible to post my reports and findings there.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:35 pm
JoseC. wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:31 pm Just out of curiosity: did you ask for any kind of support? "Imploding" is not something you see much mentioned these days in the user forum, and it would surely get the attention of the developing team.
During the time they released Cakewalk By Bandlab, their official forums were locked to non-registered users of Cakewalk products. So yes, I did attempt to do so but it wasn't possible to post my reports and findings there.
So...no. Ok, fair enough, those were times of change. And, now, two years later, you believe that your opinion carries any weight, why?

JoseC. wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:56 pm So...no. Ok, fair enough, those were times of change. And, now, two years later, you believe that your opinion carries any weight, why?
That's for the OP to make the judgement on, and so until he/she has responded, I'll leave it for the rest of you to discuss...as I have to go outside, and when I return, I'll be far too busy to return with doing other things than posting on forums. :)

I’m wondering how that bandlab company is financing further development of the product if they give it away for free. Developing and maintaining a DAW ain’t exactly cheap, and I guess they also had to pay a little bit to Gibson. Where is the revenue?

fese wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:42 pm I’m wondering how that bandlab company is financing further development of the product if they give it away for free. Developing and maintaining a DAW ain’t exactly cheap, and I guess they also had to pay a little bit to Gibson. Where is the revenue?
They sell stuff as well.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”