KarmaFX Synth Modular 2 released!

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I agree, the presets don't really show it off at all well. Would be a much easier sell if they did, maybe why it goes under the radar compared to the competition. I find it the closest to replace Vaz Modular, not in the sound, but in the ease of use and menu replacement of modules, and even better is that it retains modulations when modules are replaced with equivalent type modules.

what also isn't mentioned; it is MPE...

the patches/presets don't indeed let this thing awake.

i make my own preset, but for a first impression. Circle2 sounds more impressive, but a different synth..

shall try it.

bermudagold wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:09 am yeah the audio examples and reviews on the site are mostly from v1 10 yrs ago...and the V2 presets don't really showcase the sampler and granular modules...apparently it's main user base is in goa trance...i dont even know what that is lol...gotta demo urself and trust ur own instincts and ears...the quality and functionality is there...40$ for a workstation instrument and a multi effect to use on your other instruments is a great value!
Yeah. It certainly ticks a lot of boxes.

Tons of generation, filtering and modulation options and everything sounds good.

The UI is clean and easy to navigate.

It reminds me quite a bit of the nord modular.

KarmaFX Synth Modular 2 Announcement Video. Posted one year ago. And nothing since?
I can't find a single review anywhere.
I do remember their upgrade price from version one was crazy. Now it's on sale for cheaper than the upgrade price for version one owners.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:38 am KarmaFX Synth Modular 2 Announcement Video. Posted one year ago. And nothing since?
I can't find a single review anywhere.
I do remember their upgrade price from version one was crazy. Now it's on sale for cheaper than the upgrade price for version one owners.
yeah I think you see a lot of developers flailing in the wind trying to find the real value of their IP in the market and the right price point to achieve the requisite ROI to survive, based on it...especially since the waves industry pivot...there is also a psychological bias introduced by consumers around price since karmafx v1 started out as freeware.
Similarly with biotek...there was a year long circle jerk over pigments v1 being the best thing since sliced bread...but biotek had offered similar functionality for years that went deeper in significant areas and multiple ways if you did a point by point detailed comparison; and nobody had cared...you couldn't even find a preset video on YT for years until they started giving it away with Pro Tools and Novation controllers....the market is fundamentally irrational
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2W8gT3-VI4

Audio Plugin Deals: Checking out Karma FX Synth Modular 2! :)

Dug out a couple of old Computer Music mags last night. There was a time (2007 onwards?) when Scot Solida used KarmaFX for his synth essentials series almost every month. It was donation-ware back then.

Went looking and it turns out that Scot and CM mag get a mention in the thank-you section of the manual which is pretty cool.

Manual is also very good

EDIT: Whoo hoo. 700 :ud:

All the reviews are very old. I'd like to read a serious review of V2, or see video review by one of those serious guys, Dash Glitch, or Venus Theory.

Also, I wonder what is its cpu hit, and what is the protection scheme.
Oly [<@|@>]
-

Olymoon wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:29 am All the reviews are very old. I'd like to read a serious review of V2, or see video review by one of those serious guys, Dash Glitch, or Venus Theory.

serious review?...comedy...wouldn't it make more sense to demo it, read the manual, and figure out if it has utility to YOU?
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

> A User's Manual of 120+ pages is included with your Registered version of KarmaFX Synth Modular 2 in PDF format.

Do you seriously expect people to read an entire 120+ manual for a product they might be interested in?

Olymoon wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:29 am All the reviews are very old. I'd like to read a serious review of V2, or see video review by one of those serious guys, Dash Glitch, or Venus Theory.
Try the demo :wink: So i do.
Slim program, fat sound, "zero" cpu, brilliant fx (no wonder, who dont know they famous free fx plugins).

Anyone else on Mac getting a set of 4 bitmap dimension popup warnings when your DAW scans KarmaModular 2 demo plugin on startup?
I have a v. 1 license and was thinking of picking up v.2 but need a functional demo first.
Haven't had time to file a bug report yet.

For those who own both, how does cpu compare for similar patches with voltage modular?

Also otherwise how do they compare from a usability, immediacy and UI perspective, and also with regard to how they handle polyphony? I read about the easy swapping of modules which sounds great, and can't remember if voltage modular did the same when I demoed it. The polyphony setting in this may be more like the Nord modular (i.e. globally) rather than special poly modules like in voltage modular and realtor blocks, which if that's the case would be great.

One obvious difference is this is one package that includes everything while voltage modular has many 3rd party and extra modules available to buy. Ignite is on sale at PB for the lowest price Ive seen so far, so will buy one of the two. I suppose the eventual upgrade to core will be in a similat ballpark functionality wise as this, if I don't buy any extra stuff but obviously that eco-system is a deeper pit, more options but also more cash. On the other hand VM natively supports apple silicon and vst3 while this doesn't, and there's no saying when that might happen.
Last edited by maschinelf on Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winstontaneous wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:41 pm Anyone else on Mac getting a set of 4 bitmap dimension popup warnings when your DAW scans KarmaModular 2 demo plugin on startup?
I have a v. 1 license and was thinking of picking up v.2 but need a functional demo first.
Haven't had time to file a bug report yet.
This might be related.

Frequently Asked Questions, KarmaFX Synth Modular Specific:
https://karmafx.net/faq

Can I have KarmaFX Synth Modular 2 (demo-or full-version) installed alongside version 1.x?

No. Version 2 is backwards compatible and a direct replacement for version 1.x.
Hence, it is not safe to have them installed at the same time. Even if they are installed in separate folders, they still share the same plugin-ID.
It is therefore recommended to uninstall version 1.x before installing version 2.

Oh, you have a complete synth and a very good and versatile FX plugin (Little Alter Boy + Delay + Reverb +++)
And again, no CPU.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”