What's your 'go to' distortion/saturation plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BB Tubes

acousticglue wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:59 pm The Drop
Phils Cascade
Flower Child
Phils Cascade @192kHz is still pretty amazing.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

If it's only for subtle-medium saturation, I'm actually quite a fan of the stock Ableton saturation

WXAudio NANI

HBIII wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:36 pm What do you all like to use on the master bus?
VSM-4

M waveshaper MB
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Erik_Lucas wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:20 pm
HBIII wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:36 pm What do you all like to use on the master bus?
VSM-4
That one is at the top of my list, but it is a pricy one! Trying sa2rate 2 right now but will probably have a go with vsm-4 in the near future.

Ozone and Black Box always work for me. I want to try decapitator soon though.

Are you aware of the fact that beside the usual suspects of distortion/saturation plugins (clippers/saturators), there are TONS of other tools that saturate "in the background" ? (namely EQs, "plain" Filters, comps, etc.) ? as such... the list here can grow 3 to 4 fold...

As of late, I came you really like a dev that I've seen of Paul Third's YouTube channel : Taam Pathrick.
Tons of good stuff there. TONS (esp. the dynamics section)

Other than that, Burier and ReaJS Saturation (Loser) are really nice.

El°HYM wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:25 pm
Phils Cascade
Flower Child
What I like about Phil’s Cascade is that it is a real device that was really built out of rare parts not made for this purpose. It’s one of a kind.

Except as a plugin it’s not, anyone who owns it can appreciate what it does. But because of its nature you’d be hard pressed trying to replicate the sound with anything else. That tends to depart some unique quality.

I mostly use Klanghelm SDDR (https://klanghelm.com/contents/products/SDRR.html and Arturia Tape Mello Fi.

The Klanghelm I really like. It comes with a lot of options and variety and it's light on resources and latency. It's fairly cheap and no DRM. It can't do Tape and Vinyl like saturation though.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

PA has announced another couple of plugins, not sure if they are on the street yet. But they have mentioned they were releasing SA2RATE and Maor Applebaum’s The Oven.

Plus Wave’s did a BB Tubes thing, online previews of it so far seem pretty positive.

Decapitator still rules it for me for most things - drum bus, vocals and 2 bus. Radiator can be cool on snares but is noisy as all hell. The Fuse plugs are great for subtle dirt (562A is the only really brash one)

Have been toying with waves BB tubes a bit lately also

For me…
Scheps Omni achannel
Reason’s Scream 4
Waves Multimod
BB Tubes
Decapitator
IK Tape Machines

All easily accessible in Waves Studiorack
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

D16 Devastor 2;
PSP Saturator;
Black Rooster Audio Magnetite;
Black Rooster Audio VPRE-73;
Black Rooster Audio VPRE-73 Halloween Edition;
Fuse Audio Labs TCS-68;
Fuse Audio Labs VPRE-2C;
Fuse Audio Labs VPRE-376;
Fuse Audio Labs VPRE-31A;
Freakshow Industries Mishby;
Soundtoys Little Radiator;
Black Box Analog Design HG-2;
Brainworx bx_blackdist2;
Brainworx bx_distorange;
Brainworx bx_greenscreamer;
Brainworx bx_metal2;
Brainworx bx_yellowdrive.

El°HYM wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:25 pm
Phils Cascade
Flower Child
simon.a.billington wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:54 am PA has announced another couple of plugins, not sure if they are on the street yet. But they have mentioned they were releasing SA2RATE and Maor Applebaum’s The Oven.

Plus Wave’s did a BB Tubes thing, online previews of it so far seem pretty positive.
I agree re: phil's cascade. Too bad it's PA, i won't use it. It's not THAT unique in the end, but it's pretty great and imo one of the best PA plugs. Also one of the coolest approaches to ITB distortion. (Build something with the purpose of modelling it)

re: BB Tubes:
it's whack, and anyone who believe it's in any way special or even decent by today's standards shouldn't call themselves an engineer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE1UBfMOmmw&t=10s

Return to “Effects”