All About MIDI Polyphonic Expression (MPE)

Interactive, forum-based, in-depth reviews, tips, tutorials and more.
Post Reply New Topic

pdxindy wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:57 pm
neverbefore wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:19 am
of those 3 which one needs the lightest touch?
I assume you mean between Linnstrument, Osmose and ERAE Touch...

Osmose is the lightest touch... of course it is different cause it is not just a note on
Linnstrument is also a light touch
ERAE Touch is heavier
thanks. I am also trying an old android tablet - last time I did that OSC was the only protocol I think and it did not work that well. Midi over USB seems an improvement.
I'm wanting to turn drawn gestures / contours into melodies so there might even be an app for what I want

EDIT - something like the Korg Kaossilator app might work but it has no demo

Mpe is cool, a little intimidating but definitely a nice feature

Geert Bevin, one of the core figures in MPE development, posted this last week:
After a year and a half of intense MPE working group work, I'm very excited that we're close to reaching another major milestone. Slowly and steadily bringing more expressiveness to electronic music! 🥳
And this after someone asked for details:
We're moving closer to build a bridge to MIDI 2, still fully supporting MIDI 1 but finalizing a MIDI Profile that allows reliable discovery and activation of MPE between devices. There's a bunch of other improvements, but that's the main thing.
Exciting!

mdcarte2 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:55 pm Mpe is cool, a little intimidating but definitely a nice feature
Because it needs skill, like a real acoustic instrument. I think it's a good thing.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

I just love noodling with MPE pads and leads like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-EOErNR_zA
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

nce

Hey,

I've had this strange issue since forever. Everything works perfectly well when I have a midi track armed, I play Linnstrument and Ableton Live (11.3.11) outputs that midi to my midi interface and from there to a synth. No issues.

But when I record midi clip with everything set the same. The midi output gets slowed down somewhere and it lags behind other playback. No issues on other channels.

Has anyone countered similar issues with MPE?

No: I use Ardour; not Ableton.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:21 pm No: I use Ardour; not Ableton.
Do you output MPE midi to hardware?

Kalee wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:26 pm Do you output MPE midi to hardware?
Currently I connect the LinnStrument to my laptop using the included USB cable. I use Surge XT as the softsynth either with or without Ardour depending on my application at the time.

You may want to consider posting in the Roger Linn Design board to get more attention and support from other LinnStrument users, including Roger.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:42 pm
Kalee wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:26 pm Do you output MPE midi to hardware?
Currently I connect the LinnStrument to my laptop using the included USB cable. I use Surge XT as the softsynth either with or without Ardour depending on my application at the time.

You may want to consider posting in the Roger Linn Design board to get more attention and support from other LinnStrument users, including Roger.
Thanks for reply, posted there also now.

Yeah, I don't have any issues with softsynths; Only with hardware and also only when I have recorded midi.

the 'new' Roli, a some what different Seabord Block (main difference seems, LESS DNA connectors...);

https://roli.com/products/blocks/seaboard-block-m

To me, the main difference, just from the looks of it, is MIDI out.

But based on what Roli's marketing says, the flubbery-rubbery feel of Seaboard's surface and the sensors have changed a bit. It's difficult to judge that through pictures and promotional videos, though.

jules99 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:21 am To me, the main difference, just from the looks of it, is MIDI out.

But based on what Roli's marketing says, the flubbery-rubbery feel of Seaboard's surface and the sensors have changed a bit. It's difficult to judge that through pictures and promotional videos, though.
the new firmware will also be available, at some point to the old ones, or whatever you must call them now, simply the Seabord Block, because the new one is called Seabor Block M.

so it seems no engineering differences for the surface, but a firmware update.

which isn't bad, because, well personal opinion, i like playing with the flubbery-rubbery feel of the Seabord's surface.

and other differences: indeed midi out. newer bluetooth version. 2 DNA connectors less than Seabord Block M. which is a pity, and that means no more lightpad M Blocks (or a newer version...), or another way for lightpad Blocks???

Return to “KVR Experts”