The next Live update?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:40 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:37 pm Check out how that works on the MPC (as a controller, but still pretty close to what you are talking about)...the controller in the MPC is now good I am thinking of selling my launchpad!!
As I said, I'm aware of MPC integration with Ableton Live. Also, controller features are not supported on MPC One which is what I have :(
Oops sorry- didn't realise that- anyway, I guess my point is a lot of 'Live' focused development and innovation from AKAI (and to some extent Novation), so Ableton will need to step up to compete in the hardware game!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:03 am
.jon wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:06 am It's no surprise many of these types a drawn to software like Reaper and Bitwig, which are basically tinkering playgrounds for adults in a loosely music-related context.
I assume therefore you are a full time professional producer making a good living from music whilst the rest of us tinker?

Some professionals seem to manage with Bitwig and its pesky frequent updates and giving users what they ask for...https://www.bitwig.com/discover/?tag=Artists
Most of those artist are using Live as we speak.
Just check in real time.
I have no idea why they are back to Ableton....
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

liquidsound wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:58 pm
.jon wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:06 am It's no surprise many of these types a drawn to software like Reaper and Bitwig, which are basically tinkering playgrounds for adults in a loosely music-related context.
I assume therefore you are a full time professional producer making a good living from music whilst the rest of us tinker?

Some professionals seem to manage with Bitwig and its pesky frequent updates and giving users what they ask for...https://www.bitwig.com/discover/?tag=Artists
Just check in real time.
You checked what 31 artists are doing right now in 'real time' - that truly amazing.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:04 pm
liquidsound wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:58 pm

Just check in real time.
You checked what 31 artists are doing right now in 'real time' - that truly amazing.
I did way back when it was brought up in another thread.
Yes amazing indeed :D

I haven't heard of any of them anyway, I'm a guitarist!....I think everyone I have seen listed as using Live or Bitwig is obscure and left field (tinkerers!)

Has anyone 'mainstream' every used either (I don't recognise any names on the Live site either!) - not that I care, I have fun with both Live and Bitwig!

SLiC wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:14 pm I haven't heard of any of them anyway, I'm a guitarist!....I think everyone I have seen listed as using Live or Bitwig is obscure and left field (tinkerers!)

Has anyone 'mainstream' every used either (I don't recognise any names on the Live site either!) - not that I care, I have fun with both Live and Bitwig!
I do have fun with BWS but I do my production in Ableton for obvious reasons.

I smile when users’s comment on Nothing New is coming... how about their music, nothing is coming because some missing features? Really?
Ableton and BWS have plenty in their plate to do it.
I agree with the Pros working on deadlines...
I do have pressure but not at that level, so I can’t complain.

Sometime a tool can change things around a lot and I understand BWS users when they see a new one that enhances their workflow like I did yesterday when I got this transient tool Carver (from a great video by Bound to Divide) which made my use of Ableton equal to another version jump.

Like someone else mentioned before: go deep, really deep in your DAW and don’t stop at the skin level.
I know it takes away from producing but it is immensely rewarding.

SLiC wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:37 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:13 am
SLiC wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:57 amI am not sure if you could effectively make Live standalone on a screen like the current PUSH 2 - maybe, or maybe they will redesign it.
Yes, that's what I think - they need to redesign it for (standalone) hardware & touch screen workflow.
Check out how that works on the MPC (as a controller, but still pretty close to what you are talking about)...the controller in the MPC is now good I am thinking of selling my launchpad!!
Watching that video is a turnoff for me and reminds me why I didn't like the MPC Live... the MPC screen is small and it is finicky to touch the spot one wants and too easy to touch the wrong spot, plus the screen itself is not so precise. For example, the scene launch button is half the height of my fingertip. On a Launchpad or Push you cannot miss.

Also, navigating to different sections of clips is a click click click business... it should just be an easy scroll with the fingertip.

I can use Live faster with the regular screen and mouse compared to that... and with more sureness.

liquidsound wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:32 pm when I got this transient tool Carver (from a great video by Bound to Divide) which made my use of Ableton equal to another version jump.
Bound to Divide's tutorials are awesome. It is a shame that they are not watched as much as some clowns.

no hard feelings, but would be nice to use not just MIDI channel 1 in the inner routings of AL
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

andypryce wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:04 pm
liquidsound wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:32 pm when I got this transient tool Carver (from a great video by Bound to Divide) which made my use of Ableton equal to another version jump.
Bound to Divide's tutorials are awesome. It is a shame that they are not watched as much as some clowns.
He’s an inspiration in simplicity and getting things done.

He has a less than 3 hours tutorial on Diva for free on his YouTube channel unrivaled anywhere.

A gem of a tutorial which took my usage of Diva to a completely different level.
Last edited by liquidsound on Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:52 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:37 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:13 am
SLiC wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:57 amI am not sure if you could effectively make Live standalone on a screen like the current PUSH 2 - maybe, or maybe they will redesign it.
Yes, that's what I think - they need to redesign it for (standalone) hardware & touch screen workflow.
Check out how that works on the MPC (as a controller, but still pretty close to what you are talking about)...the controller in the MPC is now good I am thinking of selling my launchpad!!
Watching that video is a turnoff for me and reminds me why I didn't like the MPC Live... the MPC screen is small and it is finicky to touch the spot one wants and too easy to touch the wrong spot, plus the screen itself is not so precise. For example, the scene launch button is half the height of my fingertip. On a Launchpad or Push you cannot miss.

Also, navigating to different sections of clips is a click click click business... it should just be an easy scroll with the fingertip.

I can use Live faster with the regular screen and mouse compared to that... and with more sureness.
You can use the 16 big illuminated pads on the MPC for clip launch which are bigger than PUSH and Launchpad buttons (but not as many). The screen can be touched, but you rarely have to and the rotary encoders AutoMap to the Live device- I wouldn't have bought the MPC to do this, buts is a nice freebee.

That said, I am probably faster with a keyboard, mouse and a midi keyboard than any controller I have ever found...I have them sat on my desk and keep forgetting to use them (I was the same with PUSH 1 so sold it and my Mikro lives in a draw, but I like the Machine software!)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”