Don´t want to suppor thes Window sh... anymore. Change to Linux?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

All I can say is......good luck with that. :D :D :D
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

imrae wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:35 pmOn MacOS you can create a virtual audio interface that combines more than one physical interface as needed. For example, I used this in the past to re-amp guitars with an Boss GT-10 (multifx with built-in audio interface) or record synth from my Novation X-station (synth with built-in audio interface) while using my usual audio interface for monitoring and capturing some sequenced MIDI hardware.
I have no idea about Zoom but I can't see why you couldn't do what you're describing with your I/O devices on Windows. They'd each have to use their own drivers but you can set up different devices for input and output (but not in Studio One, I just noticed). What you couldn't do, which I imagine you could on Mac, is to route the same input or output to two different devices at the same time, without having two physical connections. Which is to say that it's easily achieved, just not ITB.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

cleverr1 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:48 pm So a fifth reality is that there are DAW solutions which run on platforms other that Linux which are simply better.
Better for who? Better than what? I don't need a $400 daw, not that price determines 'best', and my sessions are different than those of many other people, different hardware, different computer, different artistic bents etc Maybe people commenting here would fight like cats and dogs in a studio, even though agreeing on win 10, because of daw wars, or synth-superiority issues, or 'Who stole my dongle? :x '
A great daw in a bummer computer
A great computer/OS poorly configured
A wealthy dullard who pays the best, but plays the worst.
Lots of ways 'simply better' can get lost in the shuffle.

The music studio is like a team, a computer is like a team, an OS is like a team, a daw software is like a team. If the ball drops, or something breaks, what is the rest of the day or week or month going to be like?

Certainly working professionals need to be competitive, customers and mastering techs and venue providers have their expectations. But sometimes it's just a dress code.
Hope everyone here has their worst-case scenario(s) well covered. Remember your backups, and backups of backups. A good take is a terrible thing to waste :hyper:
Cheers

Why need the linux users to proselytise each time? It's so predictable.

3 years on linux. Bitwig+yabridge, 90% windows plugs works great. its just so much better then crapped win and oversecured mac. so many free app made by ppls for ppls , not huge corps that care only about mone. linux if freedom.
check my music on soundcloud.com/kindza
cheers

rasmusklump wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:54 am Why need the linux users to proselytise each time? It's so predictable.
Not as predictable as the non-linux users telling them what's best for everyone and they're wasting their time.

It's all a means to an end ultimately, anyone who's read glokraws posts in the other topics can see the guys obvious enthusiasm for the subject. I'm only a dabbler in linux, would miss a couple of plugs that are a slave to ilok so never made the jump but the fact you have two 'pro' DAWs at least now (reaper and bitwig) shows it's perfectly capable for a wide range of apps, certainly not for everyone but not the dead duck some people who haven't touched it in a decade claim.

cleverr1 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:07 pm Back in the late 80s there was nothing inherently better for music about the Atari ST vs Amiga except that Atari had thought to include a MIDI interface.
Yes, I bought inexpensive MIDI interface for Amiga and could use MIDI and Amiga's 4 channels of 14bit samples as drum machine or FX alongside with perfectly synced MIDI on K4r, AJuno2 and KusmaII. Of course the sample playback was originally 8bit but Octamed Pro changed it and used CPU power to playback 16bit samples in 14bit quality. With Atari you had to buy a sampler ;)
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

glokraw wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:39 am Better for who? Better than what?
Better as in being able to meet the expectations of contemporary DAW within a project brief.

If you're working standalone where you can impose limitations on your rig then fine but that's not a luxury I have.

By way of anecdote a track I wrote was released yesterday. My contribution required orchestral libraries which are not supported on Linux, and none of the remixers were running Linux. Those guys can't afford to paint themselves into a corner by falsely limiting the capabilities of their rigs.

I'm not saying this is universal or that you can't produce great electronic music on a Linux DAW, but if the tools you need aren't supported it's not the right choice.

Cheers :)

legendCNCD wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:49 am
cleverr1 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:07 pm Back in the late 80s there was nothing inherently better for music about the Atari ST vs Amiga except that Atari had thought to include a MIDI interface.
Yes, I bought inexpensive MIDI interface for Amiga and could use MIDI and Amiga's 4 channels of 14bit samples as drum machine or FX alongside with perfectly synced MIDI on K4r, AJuno2 and KusmaII. Of course the sample playback was originally 8bit but Octamed Pro changed it and used CPU power to playback 16bit samples in 14bit quality. With Atari you had to buy a sampler ;)
Back in the 90s I knew the Guys that remixed Josh Wink's Higher State of Consciousness that got to number 7 in the UK charts. For most of their mixes they used 2 Amigas where they hit play simultaneously to give them 8 tracks of samples. :)

You know what I really love and feel good about? Analog gear!
You can faithfully collect good analog gear, like mic-pres, DIs, microphones ... and be good for lifetime!
This is a kind of passtime for me as I watch the software world go through it's throes.

Seriously though, what other world of consumer products can so conform to the imagination of it's creators? At least with architecture or electronics, certain laws and physics strictly govern. Yet, with software, despite whatever imposed constraints ...
Let's put it this way; if interoperability were a worldwide cultural value, I'm certain we could have a 'platform agnostic world' too. Plus, maybe, do away with so many of the silly pains we consumers experience with our misplaced trust.

What's funny of course is seeing said contrast betray it's creators:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XneTBhRPYk

cleverr1 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:59 pm
glokraw wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:39 am Better for who? Better than what?
Better as in being able to meet the expectations of contemporary DAW within a project brief.

If you're working standalone where you can impose limitations on your rig then fine but that's not a luxury I have.

By way of anecdote a track I wrote was released yesterday. My contribution required orchestral libraries which are not supported on Linux, and none of the remixers were running Linux. Those guys can't afford to paint themselves into a corner by falsely limiting the capabilities of their rigs.

I'm not saying this is universal or that you can't produce great electronic music on a Linux DAW, but if the tools you need aren't supported it's not the right choice.

Cheers :)
I'm stuck with Kontakt6 and Sampletank3, and Miroslav Philharmonic.(atm SampleTank 4 has issues) The suffering is nearly unbearable :(
But congrats on the new release, hope you're on a roll :party: cash-money success is often where the rubber meets the road. :hyper:

cleverr1 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:07 pm
legendCNCD wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:49 am
Back in the 90s I knew the Guys that remixed Josh Wink's Higher State of Consciousness that got to number 7 in the UK charts. For most of their mixes they used 2 Amigas where they hit play simultaneously to give them 8 tracks of samples. :)
I still have my Amigas and Triple-Play-Plus midi interface. I think I need to hook up my UNO synth/arp to one of them before the caps go bad :dog:

glokraw wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:19 am I'm stuck with Kontakt6 and Sampletank3, and Miroslav Philharmonic.(atm SampleTank 4 has issues) The suffering is nearly unbearable :(
Each to their own, but if I'd spent upwards of £1k on Kontakt orchestral libraries I want to make sure I was running in a fully supported environment. I get that sometimes it's beneficial to run in unsupported environments such as when an old but required application is only supported on a legacy O/S that's been deprecated, or we want to run on thin client, but that isn't the case with DAWs.
glokraw wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:19 am But congrats on the new release, hope you're on a roll :party: cash-money success is often where the rubber meets the road. :hyper:
Thanks! It's a remake of a dance track we did in the 90s so not sure how that will go with no clubs open. It forced me to brush off the cobwebs though. :)

glokraw wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:35 am I still have my Amigas and Triple-Play-Plus midi interface. I think I need to hook up my UNO synth/arp to one of them before the caps go bad :dog:
I noticed that you can get Amiga recap kits - great if you're handy with a soldering iron :)

Seems retro computing is a big thing. My Atari is now pimped up with a Unitor, UltraSatan, Gotek and an external floppy to copy across some old files. Whilst it serves zero useful purpose there's something appealing about running Notator or Cubase on it again. :)

People don't often relate endorphins to music tools, but I suspect that using things we like in the way we like, makes us happier and more creative, and as a side effect of being happier, more likely to practice and innovate, and become a better player. I'll guess that an hour with the Atari routed into Guitar Rig, for example, could provide some recorable endorphin pumping sounds :party: Or get it some cool hardware synth-module. The midi might even be more stable than current gear. :hyper:
I've got my UNO hooked up to a 2004 era XG rompler, and it's great fun to arpeggiate and play among 600 sounds, with a dozen drumkit sounds to be arped in sync over the canned beats. 'Holy tom rolls, Batman!' :hihi:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”