List(!!!!) of synths with per-voice (polyphonic) distortion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Discovery Discovery Pro

shut up Christophe

Dencheg wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:26 pm I'm not aware of many plugins which can do that, but I'm sure I'm missing some info, so please add ones you know.
The Legend also has (mild) polyphonic distortion in the form of filter drive as well as VCA drive. Of course only when in Polyphonic mode :)

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Just noticed that Retrologue's distortion unit in the filter section also seems to be polyphonic as one can play chords without getting a mess.

I'm waking this thread up again because I'm trying to replicate the glorious distortion I get from my Analog Four, and I'm having a bit of trouble getting the really rich harmonic crunch it does, but I just hooked up VCV Rack and I found that the following plugins behave polyphonically and do really great distortion: (note: must crank sample rate up for best results)

Squinky Labs Stairway
Vult Debriatus
Mockba Modular Tube (fairly subtle, but good)

I'm going to try and get polyphony going in Reaktor Blocks and report back.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:33 am I'm waking this thread up again because I'm trying to replicate the glorious distortion I get from my Analog Four, and I'm having a bit of trouble getting the really rich harmonic crunch it does, but I just hooked up VCV Rack and I found that the following plugins behave polyphonically and do really great distortion: (note: must crank sample rate up for best results)
I gave up with digital distortion. I tried to replicate my 2 vcf analogue override and analog saturation. Digital everytime is... meeeh

I don't get the idea of a mess in serial or parallel. My analag saturation is always in parallel, and there is no mess at all. Really musical.

Obviously both analog vcf override are polyphonic

Gam456 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:12 am
zerocrossing wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:33 am I'm waking this thread up again because I'm trying to replicate the glorious distortion I get from my Analog Four, and I'm having a bit of trouble getting the really rich harmonic crunch it does, but I just hooked up VCV Rack and I found that the following plugins behave polyphonically and do really great distortion: (note: must crank sample rate up for best results)
I gave up with digital distortion. I tried to replicate my 2 vcf analogue override and analog saturation. Digital everytime is... meeeh

I don't get the idea of a mess in serial or parallel. My analag saturation is always in parallel, and there is no mess at all. Really musical.

Obviously both analog vcf override are polyphonic
I used to think like you, but I’ve been quite impressed with some of the distortions plugins, and even on board distortions in some synths. I have plenty of hardware distortion, but even the analog distortion on some of my hardware synths are pretty tame, or on the main output. If you don’t understand the difference between per voice distortion and distortion on the mix, you should see an audiologist, because it’s a huge difference. CAN had some Prophet 5 modified with some sort of special distortion on each voice, and the results were amazing.

I guess my quest comes from the fact that I keep the Analog Four around for basically that. It’s got a fantastic distortion built in, not just filter drive. Really rich sounding, but not harsh at all. It just seems silly to have that synth around for that one thing.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:36 am
I used to think like you, but I’ve been quite impressed with some of the distortions plugins, and even on board distortions in some synths. I have plenty of hardware distortion, but even the analog distortion on some of my hardware synths are pretty tame, or on the main output. If you don’t understand the difference between per voice distortion and distortion on the mix, you should see an audiologist, because it’s a huge difference. CAN had some Prophet 5 modified with some sort of special distortion on each voice, and the results were amazing.

I guess my quest comes from the fact that I keep the Analog Four around for basically that. It’s got a fantastic distortion built in, not just filter drive. Really rich sounding, but not harsh at all. It just seems silly to have that synth around for that one thing.
My hardare is a Summit with 2 analog overdrive and 1 analog saturation. My reference.
I can do whatever I want it's always musical and warmth. I also own few guitar pedal, but I'm not using on synth.

I own a lot of soft synth with vcf drive and effect like Decapitator, BlackBox Analog HG, IK Multimedia, Eventide, Pyros, Softube Overstayer M-A-S etc...

Nothing come close to the Summit. It's always harsh, not warmth, not making the sound fat and bigger.
Like I already said... meeeh

The only one seem not be okay, it's not a saturation, it's a compressor. Pulsar 1178.

Gam456 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:02 am
zerocrossing wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:36 am

My hardare is a Summit with 2 analog overdrive and 1 analog saturation. My reference.
I can do whatever I want it's always musical and warmth. I also own few guitar pedal, but I'm not using on synth.

I own a lot of soft synth with vcf drive and effect like Decapitator, BlackBox Analog HG, IK Multimedia, Eventide, Pyros, Softube Overstayer M-A-S etc...

Nothing come close to the Summit. It's always harsh, not warmth, not making the sound fat and bigger.
Like I already said... meeeh

The only one seem not be okay, it's not a saturation, it's a compressor. Pulsar 1178.
I was able to get better results using MSoundFactory than I was getting with my Peak (which does have several ways to get per-voice distortion), so out it went. I was never really thrilled with its sterile sound anyway. I ended up with a Nina instead.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:48 pm I was able to get better results using MSoundFactory than I was getting with my Peak (which does have several ways to get per-voice distortion), so out it went. I was never really thrilled with its sterile sound anyway. I ended up with a Nina instead.
MSoundFactory is my big mistake with Phase Plant, bought, install it, sound dull, and never use it

Gam456 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:16 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:48 pm I was able to get better results using MSoundFactory than I was getting with my Peak (which does have several ways to get per-voice distortion), so out it went. I was never really thrilled with its sterile sound anyway. I ended up with a Nina instead.
MSoundFactory is my big mistake with Phase Plant, bought, install it, sound dull, and never use it
Both seem amazingly interesting compared to my Peak, but you do have to know what you’re doing.
Zerocrossing Media

After reading you posts in this thread it becomes very clear that your only mistake is confirmation bias.

nirm123 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:55 pm
After reading you posts in this thread it becomes very clear that your only mistake is confirmation bias.
One thing is clear, you are not... clear

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:33 am
I'm going to try and get polyphony going in Reaktor Blocks and report back.
Damn I thought I'd done a video about this and our poly blocks, a few different ways.. one way to apply the same distortion (a poly block) to all 5 voices separately, or you could split up the signal into 5 mono and put a different distortion on each voice :)

Did things which surprised me when I was exploring..
Might be time to do it (a "here's all the ways you can do polyphonic stuff in ToyBoxAudio blocks") finally.

Sylenth1: Drive section in the filter

Not necessarily distortion, but Hive 2 has an input section for the filter that allows for the self-oscillation to be heard (like Filter Norm) or make the oscillator kind of clip. If this also counts, Generate by Newfangled Audio!

Return to “Instruments”