FirComp: Free lookahead compressor for tracks or busses, looking for testers

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fircomp 1 Fircomp 2

Put a paypal donate link on your site. People would like to support your work!

Hey there,

amazing job, really great comp. I read up on the feature requests (mainly in the Gearslutz thread) which are all great and useful, but noone seems to have mentioned that the plugin UI is a bit small (and I'm not using a 4k screen either), so here I am.

While the sound related updates are the ones you should obviously attend to first, it seems like an upscale of i.e. 150%-200% for the UI could be easilly implemented (I hope JUCE allows such upscaling with no hassles).

Appreciate your work!

Hudeenee wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:01 pm Hey there,

amazing job, really great comp. I read up on the feature requests (mainly in the Gearslutz thread) which are all great and useful, but noone seems to have mentioned that the plugin UI is a bit small (and I'm not using a 4k screen either), so here I am.

While the sound related updates are the ones you should obviously attend to first, it seems like an upscale of i.e. 150%-200% for the UI could be easilly implemented (I hope JUCE allows such upscaling with no hassles).

Appreciate your work!
Cheers, glad you like it. Yes, in theory, with some slight tweaking, the GUI could be made to be resizable as it is all vector based (except for the background and logo, which are very hi-res anyway). I do agree it looks a bit too small on some screens. (But fortunately it does automatically scale for 4K / retina displays).

Thanks for this!
Also another request to see if you can make a VST2 available.

Just to save the dev from answering the same question over and over. Steinberg doesn't allow new devs to use VST2, only VST3.

Just confirming that it works perfectly with the Polac VST3 to VST2 wrapper in Windows
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

rafa1981 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:15 pm Just to save the dev from answering the same question over and over. Steinberg doesn't allow new devs to use VST2, only VST3.
Yep, this is correct
v1o wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:03 am Just confirming that it works perfectly with the Polac VST3 to VST2 wrapper in Windows
This is useful to let people know who want to use VST2 :tu:

Really good freebie, thanx :tu:
More BPM please

This is great, been trying the low ratio version for mastering use. What a fantastic freebie!

I'm impressed with this! I gave it some grotty vocal recordings (cheap condenser, less than ideal performance) and it smoothed out the dynamics in a really transparent way, before feeding into some more colourful processing. It seemed to do a better job at extreme settings than anything else that I have.

andymcbain wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:05 pm I'm impressed with this! I gave it some grotty vocal recordings (cheap condenser, less than ideal performance) and it smoothed out the dynamics in a really transparent way, before feeding into some more colourful processing. It seemed to do a better job at extreme settings than anything else that I have.
Glad you found it useful :tu: One of the original use cases I designed for was to transparently crush vocals without distorting (I personally use attack 0.00, release 50, lookahead on, sidechain natural, ratio 10, and knee soft, for bringing lead vocals to the front of a mix, but obv depends on the situation)

Yep ,I am also verry impressed with how clean it can sound , especially in fir mode
Great job , will def. buy the commercial v2 version
Good Job
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Just noticed that the release time is affected by the attack time (gets faster with fast attack and slower with slow attack) :O Is this by design? I compared it to a bunch of my other comps and found that none of them do this, they are pretty much separate.

Hudeenee wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:54 am Just noticed that the release time is affected by the attack time (gets faster with fast attack and slower with slow attack) :O Is this by design? I compared it to a bunch of my other comps and found that none of them do this, they are pretty much separate.
Yes, this is by design. It has a decoupled topology, meaning that the "true" release time is closer to (but not exactly the same as) release + attack. This allows for more flexibility in the behaviour of the attack and release stages, and also means that changing the timings has less effect on the amount of gain reduction. (There are some other compressors that do it this way, but not exactly sure which).

One way to think of it is the attack time is an overall time constant, and the release is an extra added stage :tu:

I think I should put something about this in the manual :)

Thanks for clearing this up, makes absolute sense to mention this in the manual. I think this setup brings a specific workflow with it, setting the attack up first and then adjusting the release to taste (which is probably the way most people do it anyways...), otherwise some may be surprised how the release changes if they choose to adjust attack later.

Nitpicking /off ;)

Return to “Effects”