IOS Drum computer & Egoist files

Official support for: sugar-bytes.de
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am just trying to figure out where Sugar Bytes IOS apps put the user audio, preset, and sample files when you choose to turn off the iCloud sync?

I don’t have the largest iCloud backup space left and was thinking to turn iCloud sync off, but then it seems the files are kept inside of the hidden app folder structure. If I turn off iCloud sync, then I can’t access the file structure on my local iPad to add new files or backup presets and such. I guess the iCloud option is the only way to expose the files structure.

Hi Fotizimo,

yes, while iCloud sync is disabled the presets will be accessible from the User folder of DrumComputer's and Egoist's internal preset browser only but you can at least use the share function implemeted in the User preset/sample folder(s) of our apps and manage your files in iOS with the Files App then. Therefore just carefully swipe left on the preset/sample file you want to share and tap Share to open the iOS Share menu. There is also an Import function in the User folder to load the presets/samples from your desktop version into the iPad edition.

Best,
Nadine

Hey there, thanks for getting back to me. I hate to say this, but it is really frustrating using the scheme you are using for file management. So when iCloud sync is enabled I have to store everything in my iCloud Drive, as well as backup the entire app to make sure it can be restored if needed. This requires doubling the space needed for each of these apps.

Also, and please confirm this, but if I do enable iCloud sync, and then go into the Files app and create a folder directory under the user section, that doesn’t reflect back within the app. I tried creating a folder and placing a WAV file inside the folder, and when I go into Drum Computer, and select the sampler files, I see no folder under the user section.

This makes working with large amounts of my own samples very hard to use in any of your IOS apps as I need to audition them outside of whatever sugar bytes app I am using, and it not native to the function within the app itself. This is not a natural process when you actually look at how musicians work inside musical apps in modern UI/UX systems.

What I am trying to accomplish is the idea of moving my sample library within Drum Computer’s folder directory so that I can make that app my main rhythm section with my daw (Cubasis or NanoStudio). Since there is no folder structure within the user area of the app, I can’t replicate my sample folder. And due to iCloud Drive sync and app backups, it would in fact take up twice as much space within my total iCloud Drive.

With my sample structure completely outside Drum Computer, there is no native way to audition my samples while staying within the app. For example, please look at Cubasis’ method of sample and file directories. Relying on AudioShare on resolves the issues with iCloud Drive, but still doesn’t change the difficulties of working with files and folders while producing music within the apps.

This is my 2 cents.

Hi Fotizimo,

if you don't like to store your samples in your iCloud Drive, you can use the Import function to load your files from any folder in iOS with the Files App. Press Import in the Samples User folder of DrumComputer/Egoist and browse to your samples folder. Now open the folder and use Select/Select All. Then press Open. After that your selected samples should automatically appear in the User folder of the sample preset browser of our apps without any problem.

Best,
Nadine

Hey there,

I guess the end goal idea I had in mind is bringing some deeper file management capabilities in-app to drum computer and egoist. That way it would be possible to keep the entire experience within the apps, and not go to Files or Audioshare.

On a different topic, please take back to your entire team that drum computer is probably the best iOS music making tool I have yet seen, and I tend to own all the best apps. Honestly, Drum Computer is turning out to be perfect to how I build my rhythm sections. I imagine I will end up buying the VST version to work in Reason later.

Return to “Sugar Bytes”