Ableton Live 11

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

bfecho wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:49 am Is it just me or is the stability of Live 11 quite bad? I get frequent crashes... did not happen with Live 10, even on the same projects.
I haven't had a single crash and use it every day (Win 10)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:51 am
bfecho wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:49 am Is it just me or is the stability of Live 11 quite bad? I get frequent crashes... did not happen with Live 10, even on the same projects.
I should probably do a clean install, and remove old settings etc. I also use live enhancement suite, maybe that affects it.

bfecho wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:06 am
SLiC wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:51 am
I should probably do a clean install, and remove old settings etc. I also use live enhancement suite, maybe that affects it.
I don't think live enhancement suite was ever made compatible with Live 11? I know it went opensource a few years ago so maybe get the latest version from GITHUB if you haven't already https://github.com/LiveEnhancementSuite ... ows/issues)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Indeed, LES does not work on v11. Some bits do but it's effectively useless now.
Have to get into the habit of using key assignments again. I think the guy that does the LES is trying to rework it so it might work again in future...
And, there are lots of people who say 11 is buggy. I suspect they will issue an update soon to fix a tonne of bugs. Mercifully, I haven't had any probs so far : O

If you are having issues I would suggest trying the latest beta (11.0.5b1) as there are a lot of bug fixes (as will as a lot of improvements and CPU efficiency's! Listed bugfixes below in case any ring any bells for anyone's problems!

Bugfixes:
Previously, reordering automation lanes via dragging and dropping or using the "CMD" and Arrow Up/Down (Mac) / "CTRL" and Arrow Up/Down (Win) keys would not mark the document as modified.
The EQ Eight device will now scale the displayed spectrum the same way as the Channel EQ and Hybrid Reverb devices.
Previously, the Operator device could crash or calculate inaccurate frequencies when its Fixed Mode and Spread parameters were enabled.
When left-clicking the CPU meter, the drop-down menu that appears is now aligned at the left-hand of the CPU meter.
In the Spectral Resonator and Spectral Time devices, the limiter's LED now correctly lights up when the limiter is active.
Switching between oscillator effects in the Wavetable device now changes labels within each matrix as expected.
In the Sampler, Simpler, and Wavetable devices, the MPE label text now updates according to the device's selected/deselected state.
When using a device parameter's "Show Automation" or "Show Modulation" context menu command while a Session clip is playing, Live now switches to the Envelopes tab in the Clip View when no clip is selected.
Mouse-clicks on a return track no longer "fall through" to audio/MIDI tracks or Group Tracks that are covered by that return track.
Fixed the following bugs in Max for Live:
- Sending a getpath message to a live.object that operates upon the GroovePool no longer causes an error.
- Sending a getpath message to a live.object that operates upon a Groove no longer causes an error.
- GroovePool, Groove and DeviceIO now all have a canonical_parent property.
Fixed a crash that could occur when restoring the Arrangement View's zoom state using the "Z" keyboard shortcut after deleting a take lane.
Fixed a crash that could occur when clicking in a track's main lane after track content had been selected during recording, under certain circumstances.
The Surge Synth Team's "Surge" VST/AU plug-in device now has its internal MPE Mode activated by default when started in Live. Deactivating the device's MPE Mode in Live will also cause Surge to deactivate MPE Mode internally.
Fixed the spelling of the "Sostenuto" parameter that appears in the Control chooser when the Clip View's Envelopes tab is visible and the "MIDI Ctrl" is selected in the Device chooser.
Previously, mixer controls in linked tracks would still be linked when selecting a take lane, after multiple track headers had previously been selected.
Fixed the alignment of the Launch text label that appears in the expanded view of the Clip View's Clip box.
Previously, when the Expression tab was visible, making a rectangular selection of a single note in the MIDI Note Editor would incorrectly set the focus to pitch bend expression editing.
Previously, when using the Arrow Up/Down keys in the Velocity or Chance Editor while no notes were selected, a false value was temporarily shown in the respective editor's lane header.
Fixed the following bugs:
- When copying a folder with audio files to another folder which was already in Places, the files would not appear in the browser.
- When saving a Live Set file (such as a clip or preset) in the root folder of the temporary current Project, that file would not be copied over to the final destination Project.
Arrangement clip headers no longer have an uneven appearance.
Fixed a bug that caused a note's per-note pitch bend range to get reset to +/- 48 semitones when copying and pasting a track.
Previously, resizing the Device View, as a result of switching to the Arrangement View, while no clip was selected would result in automation lanes having the wrong height when switching back to the Session View.
Previously, the waveform of an audio clip in the Detail View would be displayed in a dimmed color, although that clip was not audible while Audition Mode was enabled.
Previously, the Follow Action Time marker was sometimes displayed at the wrong position in unwarped clips.
Previously, an Arrangement clip header would not be displayed as having a standby selection when the focus was moved away.
Using pinch gestures to zoom once again works in expression lanes.
Improved the text contrast in the Session View's Track Status display for unlooped clips.
Previously, using Tempo Follower and Tap Tempo at the same time could create a conflict with Live's tempo. To prevent this, Tempo Follower is now disabled as long as Tap Tempo is active.
Previously, when triggering a scene with assigned Follow Actions after stopping Live's transport, that scene's tempo was not respected.
Shift-clicking on an empty track slot in the Session View no longer changes the scene and track highlighting.
Previously, the vertical zoom level and scroll position in the MIDI Note Editor were sometimes wrong when switching from the Expression tab to the Notes tab.
The LOM ID of a routable MIDI input/output is now retained after moving and saving the containing Max for Live device.
The "Stop" Follow Action now works as expected for scenes.
Previously, the selection on an auditioned take lane would look different when Draw Mode was active.
When multiple MIDI clips are selected and the Envelopes and Expression tabs are not displayed, the Notes tab is now left-aligned.
Previously, when the Expression tab was open and the MIDI Note Editor was folded, zooming to selected notes would sometimes scroll out of view.
Previously, it was not possible to unlink all tracks when some tracks were nested inside a Group Track.
Fixed a crash that occurred when inserting a take lane.
Previously, adding a device via double-clicking could create two undo steps.
Added the following changes for Windows:
- On Windows 10, Live requires version 1803 or higher to be used on HiDPI screens.
- Live's second window is no longer shown separately in the list of windows that appears when pressing "Alt"+"Tab". It also cannot be minimized anymore. These changes highlight that the second window is not a stand-alone window, but secondary to the main window.
- When switching virtual desktops, floating windows are no longer shown on the new virtual desktop.
- When using virtual desktops, floating windows (e.g., the Max editor, plug-in devices, or Live's Preferences) are now only shown on the virtual desktop where Live is.
- Fixed a bug that enabled performing certain actions (e.g., stopping playback) while a modal dialog was shown.
Fixed a bug that could cause notes to be affected by expression parameters (including pitch bend) from previous notes.
User Remote Scripts work as expected on Windows again.
Previously in the Spectral Resonator and Spectral Time devices, gaps would sometimes appear in the Spectrogram at high frequencies.
A Max for Live device's background color now updates correctly after moving that device between tracks.
Fixed two bugs in the MPE Control device:
- The Pressure curve would not follow Live's themes when the device was instantiated while using the Dark theme.
- Global PB would be interpreted as Note PB under certain circumstances.
Previously, per-note pitch bend editing was unavailable when a MIDI Effect Rack or Instrument Rack was used, under certain circumstances.
The Launch Macro Variation button can be mapped as expected again.
Fixed the width of the divider line between Arrangement lanes and track/lane headers.
Previously, after selecting content by clicking on the Arrangement loop brace or pressing "CMD"+"A" (Mac) / "CTRL"+"A" (Win), content of tracks nested in a folded Group Track would not be selected when unfolding the containing Group Track.
Fixed a crash that could occur when dragging an empty frozen MIDI clip to an audio track.
Replacing a licensed Max for Live device with an unlicensed one no longer creates a "fake" device that informs the user of a missing license. Also, it is no longer possible to inadvertently trigger Temporary Demo Mode when attempting to perform another action that breaches any current limitations, in cases where a "fake" device was created.
Upon setting Scale Name and Root Note values for a MIDI clip, those values remain visible (but grayed out), even when Scale Mode is disabled.
Previously, track lanes and headers could not be deselected via "CMD"+click (Mac) / "CTRL"+click (Win) when their tracks contained hidden and selected automation lanes, take lanes, and/or Group Tracks.
Changes to a scale or root note on Push while recording a MIDI clip are now applied to that newly-recorded clip.
When enabled, the Scale (aka Fold to Scale) button becomes disabled (instead of grayed out) whenever folding to scale is not possible.
Fixed a crash that could occur when freezing a track after recording, under certain circumstances.

Live 11 has been crashing for me too much (AMD 3700x). Some of that involves Zynaptic Adaptiverb and Wormhole, which both crash almost every time. Might try the beta.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Has crashed on me too, will also try the beta.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Dirtgrain wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:25 pm Live 11 has been crashing for me too much (AMD 3700x). Some of that involves Zynaptic Adaptiverb and Wormhole, which both crash almost every time. Might try the beta.
Wormhole fine for me (VST3 Win 10) but Adaptiverb doesn't load

It's usually when I have a number of plugins on a track and then load on Wormhole or Adaptiverb.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

SLiC wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:48 am
EnGee wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:42 am It is not only about the faders! I can control that with my keyboard sliders and knobs, but it is about seeing what plugins are there. So, in Bitwig (like other linear DAWs) can give you a clear view:
You can show devices in the Mixer in Live (or could, not tried it in 11)

https://youtu.be/lQ2v8CNkcNU?t=217
What?! :lol:

Thanks a lot. I have never come across this! I'll try it when I'm on my PC.

So, you made my life harder now! It's impossible to choose now between Bitwig and Live :hihi:

EnGee wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:04 pm What?! :lol:

It's been a thing at least since 9.7 (when I 1st got Live), so I wonder why they just won't make it available without options.txt? That's a pretty weird decision for something a lot of people ask about.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Is there also a way to add pan controls to tracks in arranger view?

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:08 am Is there also a way to add pan controls to tracks in arranger view?
what? the pan control has always been there.. the big C below the solo button.. or did you have something else in mind.

antic604 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:59 am
EnGee wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:04 pm What?! :lol:

It's been a thing at least since 9.7 (when I 1st got Live), so I wonder why they just won't make it available without options.txt? That's a pretty weird decision for something a lot of people ask about.
Still not many functions, but it's a gem nevertheless. There is also the "Arm" line in the video. Also a nice hack :)

dayjob wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:12 am
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:08 am Is there also a way to add pan controls to tracks in arranger view?
what? the pan control has always been there.. the big C below the solo button.. or did you have something else in mind.
Sorry expressed it poorly, to display it in a circular style is what I meant to ask.

Are you safe?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”