Linux vst3 plugins show incomplete GUI

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I've been getting partial GUIs with linux vst3 version of u-he plugins. I've attached some screenshots. This does not happen with vst2 versions. I tested it with carla as well as the latest waveform beta that supports vst3.
Screenshot from 2020-11-19 15-06-03.png
Screenshot from 2020-11-19 15-05-32.png
Screenshot from 2020-11-19 15-03-53.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVmlgT ... subscriber

Advocator of free and open source software.

What happens when you move the windows around, min/max them and so on? Does the portion of 'missing GUI' change?
How about restarting the compositor?
Are you using Wayland, or X11?

lunardigs wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:21 pm What happens when you move the windows around, min/max them and so on? Does the portion of 'missing GUI' change?
Nothing changes, the only way to get full gui is to reduce the size to 70-80%.

Idk if I’m using wayland or x11, it’s the one that ships default with Ubuntu 20.10

Paree wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:10 pm
lunardigs wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:21 pm What happens when you move the windows around, min/max them and so on? Does the portion of 'missing GUI' change?
Nothing changes, the only way to get full gui is to reduce the size to 70-80%.

Idk if I’m using wayland or x11, it’s the one that ships default with Ubuntu 20.10
Looks like it's Wayland and your compositor is called Compton.
I think this is how you restart it.

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl restart mycompton

Compton is X11 composition manager.
And problem is in U-he VST3 and JUCE hosts (Carla uses JUCE for VST3 hosting).

Kott wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:13 am Compton is X11 composition manager.
And problem is in U-he VST3 and JUCE hosts (Carla uses JUCE for VST3 hosting).
Ahh, I see. Same problem here then. X11, nVidia 455.38, KWin compositor.

Okay, so the window has an initial size and then grows a few milliseconds after launch. If you're able to force the window size, like you can with Plasma/KWin, then it opens thereafter as expected.

Screenshot_20201119_213604.jpg
You might try to click the window border on your respective desktop and see if any options exist for forcing the window size.

It's clearly a bug, I'm not quite sure who to report it to though?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I have Ubuntu Studio's 19.10, and 20.04, and both are using the official nVidia driver on a pcie nVidia video card, an old 9400GT. In linux Reaper, the gui's are perfect fits, and resize fine. Been that way for ages.
Cheers

If you're able to force the window size, like you can with Plasma/KWin, then it opens thereafter as expected.
Hm, thanks for workaround.
I'm not quite sure who to report it to though?
Not pretty sure, but I guess - U-he. JUCE and plain VST3 plugins displays normally.

glokraw wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:29 am I have Ubuntu Studio's 19.10, and 20.04, and both are using the official nVidia driver on a pcie nVidia video card, an old 9400GT. In linux Reaper, the gui's are perfect fits, and resize fine. Been that way for ages.
Cheers
Are you using the vst2 or vst3 version? The problem only occurs in vst3 version.

I guess it’s a u-he bug as other vst3 plugins (surge and odin2) work fine with both waveform 11.2.0 beta and Carla

U-he VST3 displays fine in Reaper.

Kott wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:09 am U-he VST3 displays fine in Reaper.
Idk if it’s a juce or uhe bug, as long as DAWs support vst2 it shouldn’t be an immediate problem (that’d probably forever), but I’m just putting it out there since it is a bug.

Return to “u-he Linux support”