2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Better to have bloomed late, than to not have bloomed at all.
QB_Bloom-2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:29 pm Better to have bloomed late, than to not have bloomed at all.

QB_Bloom-2.png
I almost got this before Pamela, but I still want the Bloom (in addition to PNW).

elxsound wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:14 pm
Shabdahbriah wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:29 pm Better to have bloomed late, than to not have bloomed at all.

QB_Bloom-2.png
I almost got this before Pamela, but I still want the Bloom (in addition to PNW).
PNW is an incredibly powerful module, but like Ornament and Crime, the menu is unfathomable to me. I lean more towards the serendipitous nature of Bloom, and manipulating those 'happy-accidents'.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

A new Sequential PRO3 arrived last week. Sounds great, but after some flashing lights/display changes I send some messages to support and they sent me a new main board PCB. No problems, right?
Put the board in...
https://youtu.be/0pUTGsWq9iI
So about a half hour after recalibrating the VCOs distortion starts appearing in every patch, not good distortion, digital clicks and pops. It slowly gets worse until the result is the sound in the video.
They are sending me a second main board. This time tested for this problem.

Shabdahbriah wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:41 pm
elxsound wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:14 pm

QB_Bloom-2.png
PNW is an incredibly powerful module, but like Ornament and Crime, the menu is unfathomable to me. I lean more towards the serendipitous nature of Bloom, and manipulating those 'happy-accidents'.
yep, my "interesting cv and gate" search brought me back to qubit :lol:
bloom and chance together looks like it could be fun :D
and i think, with a little "wiggling" will leave me enough space for a second nebulae :scared:

vurt wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:18 am and i think, with a little "wiggling" will leave me enough space for a second nebulae :scared:
wow, took me about 2 years to decide to get a second one. is that two weeks? :lol:
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:56 am
vurt wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:18 am and i think, with a little "wiggling" will leave me enough space for a second nebulae :scared:
wow, took me about 2 years to decide to get a second one. is that two weeks? :lol:
ikr ? :hihi:

it's ideas leading the decision :D
while it's doing its thing, i keep thinking would be cool to have "this" happen now... but alas, would need the second one...
it's only a thought at the min, im still in the no buying zone as it's birthdays galore for the next few months, so the plan may change.
it's just where my head is at the moment.

vurt wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:19 pm
while it's doing its thing, i keep thinking would be cool to have "this" happen now... but alas, would need the second one...
Common dilemma... {glances at dupes} ... way different than GAS. I mean, when you are right there in the heat of it, and what you're using does what it does in a manner that other stuff just doesn't (even if it's just ONE thing, doesn't) or can't, and something cool happens, and you perceive a variation on that cool thing, you're inclined to realize pretty quickly the legitimate 'need' to fulfill that greater potential and and creative flexibility.

I have no regrets or buyers-remorse with any of the modules I've doubled-up on, particularly as they are all quite unique in what they bring to the table, to the degree that there are (pretty-much) no 'other things' like them. :tu:
Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shabdahbriah wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:44 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:19 pm
Common dilemma... {glances at dupes} ... way different than GAS. I mean, when you are right there in the heat of it, and what you're using does what it does in a manner that other stuff just doesn't (even if it's just ONE thing, doesn't) or can't, and something cool happens, and you perceive a variation on that cool thing, you're inclined to realize pretty quickly the legitimate 'need' to fulfill that greater potential and and creative flexibility. I have no regrets with any of the modules I've doubled-up on. :tu:
yeah, it's not gas like having money and just need to spend, this is a definite "damn if only..."
but, even then im not rushing in, want to make sure the same ideas keep coming and the break before purchases, will give me time for that :)

thing is, ive still never used more than the default "module" and still already feel two is a good plan, given its god only knows how many other things? im pretty sure at least a few of the other modes will be useful too.

Fair amount of power suckage from 2 of those nebulae, that's one thing I'm not on about with digital
modules. :shrug:

I really want to get some VSX headphones but the availability keeps getting pushed back, now an ETA of late September lol

pekbro wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:27 pm Fair amount of power suckage from 2 of those nebulae, that's one thing I'm not on about with digital
... Indeed, their suckage is vast. :hihi:

pekbro wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:27 pm Fair amount of power suckage from 2 of those nebulae, that's one thing I'm not on about with digital
Did I ever tell that story about retrofitting a Doepfer 3A power supply? :help:
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:52 pm
Did I ever tell that story about retrofitting a Doepfer 3A power supply? :help:
I read over at MW, the the newer Doepfer's have Meanwell switching psu's in them that
are fed into linear regulators to reduce ripple. Beyond that, they are not really so different
from low-cost Meanwells. Dunno if it's true...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”