One Synth Challenge #144: Rand by Sampleson (schiing Wins! kylebenjamin grabs the single instance prize!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I got my first case of Rand changing one of my patches after saving :x
Annoying but I’m just gonna go with the flow.
Currently working on my composition a bit.
Sometimes B-sections come so naturally but sometimes they are a giant chore. I think some chord progressions just don’t want any competition :lol:

<EDIT: This version has been deleted and a final version is posted later in the thread>
I think I’m for the most part done with this month’s entry but I don’t know. I figured I’d post a work in progress in case anyone wants to proof listen. I’ll probably end up tweaking a few things so feedback would be nice if you feel like it :phones:

https://soundcloud.com/localmanmakesmus ... FSEAb60kb7
Last edited by Local Man on Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Local Man wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:58 pm I got my first case of Rand changing one of my patches after saving :x
Annoying but I’m just gonna go with the flow.
Currently working on my composition a bit.
Sometimes B-sections come so naturally but sometimes they are a giant chore. I think some chord progressions just don’t want any competition :lol:
It did that to me too. I decided to just enter what i already have.

Rushed thru this one as I'm moving house. I get the "conceit" of RAND -- push the button, magic happens, but I think the ability to tweak sounds fell far short of it's potential. That being said I think the oscillators sounded good. And nice resonance on the Low Pass filter.

https://soundcloud.com/ontrackp/ontrack ... tton-again

29 instances in Logic Pro X. Logic compressors, eq, reverb, delay. OTT on kick, Nova (free) and Limiter No. 6 on mix bus.

I had the bright idea to try to create a track in 7/8 time for this month, but despite getting a few decent ideas together, got stuck so I've abandoned that attempt and am making another which is going a lot more smoothly. I've got the Youlean loudness meter now, and I was sure that somewhere I read some guidance on the recommended LUFS and which of the several measurements on the plugin is the one to quote. If someone can point me at that info, that would be great.

Really looking forward to hearing what everyone has made with this somewhat quirky synth. And many condolences to doctorbob

markheath wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:07 pm I had the bright idea to try to create a track in 7/8 time for this month, but despite getting a few decent ideas together, got stuck so I've abandoned that attempt and am making another which is going a lot more smoothly.
I told myself that I would post a different time signature for each OSC entry in 2021 - but I've already broken my word! Oh, well, at least I've got a straight groove and a shuffle so far!
markheath wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:07 pm I've got the Youlean loudness meter now, and I was sure that somewhere I read some guidance on the recommended LUFS and which of the several measurements on the plugin is the one to quote. If someone can point me at that info, that would be great.
I don't use Youlean, but judging by the screenshots the "LUFS Integrated" seems like the one to go for.
As long as you specify which measurement you're referring to, I'm sure someone will let you know if you accidentally post a short-term measurement. :D
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Thanks Mark. Integrated LUFS of -14.0 is a good spot to aim for. If you are doing some bangin' EDM etc, then around -9.0/-10.0 is where people usually end up. Don't over compress things on the master is a good rule. I tend to use "TT Dynamic Range Meter", an offline tool to work out the dynamic range, but I find the DR in Youlean similar.

It's also a useful tool to see where clipping occurs.

Useful tip: have the Youlean interface up when you render, and you get the figures quickly!

dB

I'm going to submit my track now as things are looking busy for me next week and not sure I'll have time to do any more on this. After getting stuck on my original idea, I started from scratch and went for a more laid back down tempo idea.

I'm a complete novice at sound design, so the random button was actually very helpful for me. Most of my patches are random plus a bit of tweaking, although I did manage to build a few sounds from scratch.

https://soundcloud.com/mark-heath1/mark ... vr-osc-144

Anyway, happy to hear any criticisms and suggestions for improvement.

Rand x19
Fx used:
ReaEQ x 5
Valhalla Supermassive x10
Tal DUB-II x3
TAL Reverb 2 x1
BPB Saturator x3
PanCake2 x4
ReaComp x2
RoughRider3 x1
BPB Dirty Filter x1
Master bus fx:
TDR Kotelnikov
ReaEQ
LoudMax
Youlean Loudness Meter says -18.9 LUFS integrated, -3.0dB true peak max

Local Man wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:58 pm I got my first case of Rand changing one of my patches after saving :x
Funny I did like more than few revisions over period of two weeks without any problems, but now after a while two of the patches sounds different. And those were the sounds I didn't edited at all so I don't even know how to recreate them :party: I think I might call it done and finish my submission details :ud:
YT | SC | FB | IG | earror :ud: KO :ud:

Medniex wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:05 pm
I think I might call it done and finish my submission details :ud:
Same here. I don’t think I’m gonna stress too much about giving this one a high level of polish.
I mean the changes that happened in my patches weren’t too dramatic (just a little extra noise or small envelope changes) but it’s enough for me to not bang my head against a wall trying to fine tune things. This isn’t the kind of random I like.

Rand is like so many of the synths in this competition. A nice idea, some cool features, decent sound (I really love the width feature) but just too unreliable for serious use unfortunately. I might use it in the future for inspiration and to add a little spice here and there but not for any critical elements.

Submission for the One synth Challenge 144 - Rand

https://soundcloud.com/elex101/elex-the-tree-of-three

Mixed narrowly in REAPER at -12.5 LUFS using :

Rand ( 28 ) 14 monophonic instruments, 7 FX and 7 percs, all single layer
ReaEQ (9) ( light EQ duties ), Limiter No6 ( perc bus ), TDR Nova ( sidechain comp ), Hy-Delay free (6), Slate fresh Air ( on snare ), Analog Obsession Fetish ( on toms, lightly ), Blue ARP (4)

reverb:
Oril river ( 10, mono ), mid-side encoder, Oril river, A1 stereo Control, ReaEQ, mixer

master:
band splitter, Flux BitterSweet v3, Sleepy-Time Records Transient , band joiner, Mid-side encoder,
Oril River, A1 stereo Control, ReaEQ, mixer, TDR Nova, Slick EQ, Limiter No6

Btw, possibly useful :
When doing a downsampled render in REAPER, problems occurred . One patch was completely off ( the @#$%&! 'detune' knob - again ), others less obviously so, but still. Bouncing the master at full rate, then doing a downsampled render of the bounced audio track worked just fine.

ELEX wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:28 am Btw, possibly useful :
When doing a downsampled render in REAPER, problems occurred . One patch was completely off ( the @#$%&! 'detune' knob - again ), others less obviously so, but still. Bouncing the master at full rate, then doing a downsampled render of the bounced audio track worked just fine.
Yes, noticed this when doing 48-44 render
Just switched to 44, saves space & aggro
Although, my patches were bad and sounded better after the render :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Eauson wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:08 pm Although, my patches were bad and sounded better after the render :D
LOL!

Here my submission for this month ...
A bit cheesy in my opinion, but to be honest, RAND wouldn't be my first choice, when I'm looking for cool synth sounds ... :D
Most of the sounds are created with "Edit Mode", not with "pushing the button" :hihi:

DAW: Cubase Elements
21 instances of RAND

DAW FX:
PingPongDelay
BrickwallLimiter
Roomworks (reverb)
StereoEnhancer
VintageCompressor

other FX:
Overtone GEQ (Voxengo)
OTT_x64
FreshAir
TDR Nova
MCompressor
TAL Reverb 4
Protoverb (u-he)
Sanford Bass Tightener
Lagrange
Valhalla Supermassive
Limiter No. 6

https://soundcloud.com/rockingricky/the-crackler

Hope, you enjoy :tu: and good luck to all ...

Return to “Instruments”