Drum Machines!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mholloway wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:03 pm
plexuss wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:00 pm
I lament the lack of dev on AD Tatto and FK Tremor - dropping these, especially Tremor, just doesn't make sense to me.
It doesn't need to make 'sense' to any of us, is the thing -- it was purely the business business. Fxpansion got bought out (by Roli) and a new board got to decide what was worth spending development money on, and what they didn't give a shi* about -- users be damned. It was 100% about the power-changeover and $, nothing else.

I'm still mad, frankly. I owned nearly *all* of the products that got discontinued. It was great stuff, too -- especially Tremor, which I still use to this day.
I haven't come across a drum machine that I like the sound of as much as Tremor. Talking about synthesis obviously... Haven't tried Stix cause it is iLok.

I like Geist too... it is my favorite drum machine plugin. It is fast to sample (yes it actually samples) my own sounds from various synths. I stopped using it though as I basically consider Fxpansion defunct and only a matter of time before Geist disappears. Since I will for sure be buying a new 16" MBP with Apple CPU, I think the chances of Geist becoming Native for Apple Silicon very low. If they surprise me and release a new version of Geist for Apple Silicon, then I will install it.

I mainly use Bitwig and only sometimes Logic, but the new Drum Machine Designer and Quick Sampler (also samples directly) plus the new Logic Step Sequencer is IMO, better than any available drum plugins.

Waldorf Attack and DKS Pro are great (the latter being discontinued a long time ago). Otherwise: Drum Computer and Drumaxx are favourites for non-standard sound.

I've been using XLN Audio's XO, Microtonic and UVI Drum Designer lately. I didn't update Punch to version 2 as I barely use Punch. Also use Breaktweaker and NI Battery 4. Never bought Geist but it was high up on my list.

Wave Alchemy Revolution is on sale right now for $59
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... Revolution
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Comments here made me dig out Construct. That's a neat little sound box, some really interesting variations using the LFOs liberally. And the FM in the kick is nicely crunchy.

Dasheesh wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:39 pm scratch that... it's mentioned on the rob papen website when you go to buy punch 2. it gives you an update path at that time.
You can save about $15 and upgrade to punch 2 for $34 instead of $49 See below
======================================================

March into Electronic Drums with a 30% discount on Punch-2, RAW-Kick, and Punch-BD!!!
This Month we are alive and kicking with lots of Punch! (pun intended).

RAW-Kick € 55 | $ 55 instead of € 79 | $ 79 buy now | more info
New introduction video released here.

Punch-2 € 99| $ 99 instead of € 149 |$ 149 buy now | more info

Punch -> Punch-2 upgrade € 34| $ 34 instead of € 49 | $ 49
To request the upgrade, please log in and visit ‘MyProducts’ or contact us.

Punch-BD € 34 | $ 34 instead of € 49 | $ 49 buy now | more info

PunchBD-RE (ReasonStudios) € 35 | $ 35 instead of € 49 | $ 49 buy now / info

Upgrade to Punch-2 for Punch-BD, and PunchBD-RE owners € 59| $ 59.
To request the upgrade, please email us info@robpapen.com, and in the case of PunchBD-RE please attach your proof of purchase which could be the receipt or your PunchBD-RE registration as a screenshot.

I like MDrummer from Melda for more natural but very punchy drums (but its massive collection of kits requires a massive hard drive); NI's Battery for synthesized.

i just switched machines and can't get Tremor to auth. It's pathetic fighting with a (admittedly great) piece of software that i payed for. Especially since i paid the $100 not the $9 nowaday price. Sure i can live without it but it still sux.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

CrystalWizard wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:45 pm i just switched machines and can't get Tremor to auth. It's pathetic fighting with a (admittedly great) piece of software that i payed for. Especially since i paid the $100 not the $9 nowaday price. Sure i can live without it but it still sux.
Where is it $9? Thanks.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:21 pm
CrystalWizard wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:45 pm i just switched machines and can't get Tremor to auth. It's pathetic fighting with a (admittedly great) piece of software that i payed for. Especially since i paid the $100 not the $9 nowaday price. Sure i can live without it but it still sux.
Where is it $9? Thanks.
Pretty sure it's not.
A well-behaved signature.

M?aybe it's not $9 right now but i'm fairly sure i've seen it discounted for something around that price. Maybe just so completely stoned i imagined it, but i wish.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Geist and Tremor. I was lucky enough to purchase Tremor when it wasn't available anymore. I love it!

Just gonna add to the chorus of feeling stung about that ROLI takeover. Those FXPansion things being dropped like a bad penny bothered me more than any VST purchase i have ever made. I usually just move on and find better shit, but by gawd FXPansion had some seriously worldclass DSP chops that very little comes close to e.g Maul, Tremor, Geist, Bloom, BFD :x :cry:
I

masterhiggins wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:13 pm
anttimaatteri wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:37 pm
masterhiggins wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:06 pm I used to use tremor until fxpansion discontinued it like a buncha bitches. Incredible sequencer and modulation. It was a real performance drum synth.
and i still dont get it why the abandoned it. i still use it from time to time despite the demo limits ;D

but i recommend stix, geist2, heartbeat, drumazon, nepheton, punch (punch-bd is jsut the bassdrum thing), drumcomputer
They abandoned it because it doesn’t align with their seaboard range. Same with their other fx that were awesome: Etch had amazing modulation options. Dcam dynamics was a rough approximation of analog processors, but they had their own great character that I loved. And Bloom was one of the best delays I’ve ever used. It was damn ideal. But they didn’t integrate with or complement Roli’s stupid ass keyboards. They could’ve at least sold them to inMusic, but they preferred to euthanize them like old dogs.

I couldn’t give a damn if they went under.
I have to agree that discontinuing Tremor and Bloom was really stupid. They were great plugins and could be making money for Roli right now.

Who knows what the internal politics are like. I asked about the complete lack of availability of Seaboard Rise products for the last several months on the Equator 2 thread and it seems others were wondering the same thing and noticing a pattern of issues with Roli. It is too bad. The Fxpansion products are (were) great.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Well for a drum machine to get my attention it has to allow a different number of steps per instrument. AFAIK, Spark 2 does not offer that (but own own a license and a SparkLE controller thing that is really pretty cool and compact).

Tremor was a favorite at one time.

I would say right now my nod goes to DrumComputer and Evolution, though when I mess with drums these days it is mostly in hardware. MicroTonic will always be fun.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Return to “Instruments”