Finally the very good news from Steinberg!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Artist 13 Cubase Elements 13 Cubase Pro 13

Lerian wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:57 am Cubase VST was a nice, usable daw. But sx came with many improvements
FTR, Cubase SX was a total re-write.
It improved tremendously on stability, at the cost of functionality.
(The older version had grown into a maintenance nightmare, from a dev point of view, despite having reached a broad level of functionality. Many features were missing in SX, for years)

I've found it more or less necessary to copy/paste text for people to read things here

"We will continue to maintain the eLicenser servers for a while after the introduction of the new license management system, allowing time for your other licenses to be transitioned."

it is absolutely our intention to provide a means of activating the software offline without requiring the machine itself to connect to the Internet."
- dspreadbury at steinberg dot net

As I have stated before and will state it again:
Long live the Steinberg dongle - it allows me to use Cubase on infinite number of computers.
Hope that Steinberg will retain dongle option for the lovers of one 😀

Atlatnesiti wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:56 pm As I have stated before and will state it again:
Long live the Steinberg dongle - it allows me to use Cubase on infinite number of computers.
No, it doesn't. It lets you use Cubase on a single computer at a time. :ud:

And, unless you're happily moving your dongle around from computer to computer, that's not really an advantage over having multiple computers authorized, which you are all able to use at the same time.

You can use it on all the computers in the world that can support it, but not two at the same time.

I've had a few things intalled on more than one computer, for reasons. In the early days of it, I thought to have a master computer where Cubase resides, and a slave. In those days you buy VE Pro it comes with three licenses, so you may have three slaves if you aren't running its server on the master. Now it's separately licensed (Additional license was going for 45 euros but that sale ends soon if hasn't already.), people are not so reliant on slaves anymore.

NI used to make us delete an authorization at our account beyond three of them if you wanted a new auth. Now, they can't be bothered to care and it doesn't matter how many times, it's never denied.

BFD had 3 or 4 possible authorizations, once those were registered, any further authorization had to be done by them manually via the website. One day I cleaned the system cache and this exposed that I had one too many as it is, and it's that specific computer that has to be authorized, I can't manage that myself at all. So my show was stopped for four days, they were down. Compare this to a broken dongle where I'm sorted same day by both VSL and Steiny. As I most probably would be today. Now, there was a server down situation last year with that big Cubase deal but it lasted half a day for me.

So I'm never going to high-five the anti-dongle fervor here. I'm confident things are not going to become worse, and I'm good with that.

ramseysounds wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:26 amAll this fuss over a dongle! Ive had mine for about 8 years; never stopped working. If it uses a precious usb port, get a hub or a splitter. Look up Dom Sigalas on youtube; he knows cubase inside out. To be honest, I’d rather take notice of a pro composer like Hans Zimmerman than any keyboard warrior on a forum 🤷‍♂️ You seriously cant believe FL is better than cubase? I know it’s all subjective and personal taste, but seriously?! 😖
I think FL Studio is better - lots of modules, nice interface, and I like the synths and presets. Got lots of samples and hits to use. Great mobile app too. I also think Reason might be better than Cubase. I like the quirky plug-in modular interface, and the sounds are good as well. Neither requires you take up space with a dongle. Also, you can get a hub or splitter, but those can get damaged as well. Thing is, dongles and even splitters can obstruct other ports depending on their shapes. It would just be better to not have to deal with an irksome dongle unless you have important stuff on it like graphical or audio assets you want to use.

That's interesting, so they are leaving the elicenser servers online as all other licenses get ported, so by that I assume there will be a central hub for all licenses previous held on the dongle, which means the vengeance ones I own wont need a dongle either, that's made my day.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

DollyNipples wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:35 pm
ramseysounds wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:26 amAll this fuss over a dongle! Ive had mine for about 8 years; never stopped working. If it uses a precious usb port, get a hub or a splitter. Look up Dom Sigalas on youtube; he knows cubase inside out. To be honest, I’d rather take notice of a pro composer like Hans Zimmerman than any keyboard warrior on a forum 🤷‍♂️ You seriously cant believe FL is better than cubase? I know it’s all subjective and personal taste, but seriously?! 😖
I think FL Studio is better - lots of modules, nice interface, and I like the synths and presets. Got lots of samples and hits to use. Great mobile app too. I also think Reason might be better than Cubase. I like the quirky plug-in modular interface, and the sounds are good as well. Neither requires you take up space with a dongle. Also, you can get a hub or splitter, but those can get damaged as well. Thing is, dongles and even splitters can obstruct other ports depending on their shapes. It would just be better to not have to deal with an irksome dongle unless you have important stuff on it like graphical or audio assets you want to use.
You wanna lay off the drugs.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

LeVzi wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:37 pm That's interesting, so they are leaving the elicenser servers online as all other licenses get ported, so by that I assume there will be a central hub for all licenses previous held on the dongle, which means the vengeance ones I own wont need a dongle either, that's made my day.
I would rather assume that none of that is a given yet, because you don't know how the system will work. They also said that the new authorization will only happen for products which are still supported, which means supported by Steinberg in my book. And it also means that it's only for products which are still being sold.

As far as I understood it, at least some, if not all, of the license retrieval is via the MySteinberg database. Which is a problem, because, the way I experienced it, it doesn't work properly. I have licenses in MySteinberg which I already sold, simply because the database obviously doesn't work properly, showing licenses which are not present on the dongles.

Disclaimer to everyone: Please don't take what I said for granted, and make out of that that the system will really work like that in the end, and that it will be all flawed, and that catastrophy will happen. I'm just saying what I experienced, and stating what I read in the Steinberg forums. Maybe their databases work fine, and it's simply a display error, or it doesn't refresh properly. I can't tell, because I have no idea how it works.

I like Arturia's method.
You can authorize on up to 5 computers, and if you change one,
you just de-authorize the old one, and authorize the new one.

[MOD EDIT]

Last edited by Lerian on Wed May 05, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

felis wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:47 pm I like Arturia's method.
You can authorize on up to 5 computers, and if you change one,
you just de-authorize the old one, and authorize the new one.
That'd be what I would prefer as well (can't imagine them allowing more than 2 or 3 machine activations though). Like the way Presonus or LennarDigital do it. I guess Steinberg wuill require an authorization software like Arturia, which would be OK for me too, even though I hate to install so many software and license managers. But, I guess that's something you have to live with nowadays.

DollyNipples wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:35 pm I think FL Studio is better - lots of modules, nice interface, and I like the synths and presets. Got lots of samples and hits to use. Great mobile app too. I also think Reason might be better than Cubase. I like the quirky plug-in modular interface, and the sounds are good as well.
Good for you! This may come as a shock but other people are not you. I had Reason, I didn't care for how it sounded.

Neither yours nor mine are arguments for anything being better or worse. this is 'I like the one thing and not the other'.
No one is saying you can't have your own preference or joy of using. A serial troll on the other hand seems to have this pressing need to tell others their choice is not valid.
DollyNipples wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:35 pm Neither requires you take up space with a dongle. dongle
irksome dongle
How many times do you think you need to reiterate the same thing before you're right?

LeVzi wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:37 pm That's interesting, so they are leaving the elicenser servers online as all other licenses get ported, so by that I assume there will be a central hub for all licenses previous held on the dongle, which means the vengeance ones I own wont need a dongle either, that's made my day.
I'm not assuming that. I believe it means that they intend to provide ample time for other vendors to sort out what they're going to do in replacement of the "Steinberg key" aka "Vienna key". Yahama>Steinberg>other vendor
EG: Vienna Symph. Library will be iLok by then.

LeVzi wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:38 pm
DollyNipples wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:35 pm
You wanna lay off the drugs.
Lay off the drugs? Because I like FL Studio? You just have no taste.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”