Presonus Studio One 5.2 vs Cubase 11

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks guys. I’ve downloaded Studio One Prime to get a basic feel for the workflow. I can’t see a free trial for the Pro version?

jens wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:17 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:41 pm So if you buy Reaper today at version 6.x, you are covered all the way through to version 7.x. So version 8 is the first major version you'd have to buy. That's many, many years worth of very frequent releases. Version 4.0 came out in August 2011. Version 6.0 came out in December 2019. So 8+ years with a single license!
Yeah, but let's be honest: typically there's not a lot of meat during all that time and with all these updates.

When I still read through most every new changelog (really can't be bothered anymore) I rarely had much of an idea what most of the entries actually meant. It could as well have been Chinese for the bulk of ithttps://www.landoleet.org/whatsnew6.txt

Here's the last 15 months of Reaper development:

https://www.landoleet.org/whatsnew6.txt

:-o :help: :lol:
Razer Edit is very meaty just by itself. As were the improvements to the Media Explorer, FX Browser, the built in sampler, addition of take markers...and that's just since 6.10. So yeah, there's a ton of stuff in those change logs that might not mean a whole lot, but that's not to say there's nothing meaty in there. Your best bet is to just watch out for the ReaperMania "What's New In..." videos. But yeah, Reaper definitely has it's own way of doing things for better or worse. I'm not trying to sell anyone on converting. Not the point of this thread.

dickiefunk wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:39 pm Thanks guys. I’ve downloaded Studio One Prime to get a basic feel for the workflow. I can’t see a free trial for the Pro version?
I think you'll have to register an account to trial the pro version. At least I found the trial in my user account.

chk071 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:06 pm
dickiefunk wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:39 pm Thanks guys. I’ve downloaded Studio One Prime to get a basic feel for the workflow. I can’t see a free trial for the Pro version?
I think you'll have to register an account to trial the pro version. At least I found the trial in my user account.
Ah that’s good news. I’ve just activated the demo version :tu:

jens wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:17 pmHere's the last 15 months of Reaper development
They don't have a marketing department, and I don't think they care too much about highlighting "big" features or trying to cater so kind of a market segment or anything like that. Reaper is actually developed by 2 people. One of them, the owner, was the creator of Winamp that sold the company for a significant sum of money back in the day, so I reckon that's why Reaper is a bit weird in the way they do things.

Also worth nothing is that a very significant attraction of Reaper is its DIY-style workflow and robust scripting ability with tons of amazing 3rd party scripts.

Cubase vs S1. Well, I downgraded from Cubase 11 to 10 (Artist) because I had cpu spikes that I couldn't solve by Cubase options. I read I should configure my nVidia setup and Windows 10 as well, but I won't bother! The reason is I already have alternatives if Cubase doesn't work properly, so when I tested v10, it was good.

Anyway, I started with Cubase in 2002/2003 but I had Cakewalk Home studio at that time. I used Cubase most of the times with come and go periods. It is still my most used host over the years. When I demoed S1 (v1.6 I think), It was very easy for me. I ended buying version 2 (Producer) which was great :)

I'm not an advanced user. I just use the DAW almost the same way I did 20 years ago! I play what I record and then minor midi editing (or just several takes for audio). Insert some effects here and there and this is it! So, I consider my usage "lite" or old fashioned!

I slightly prefer S1 due to a friendlier workflow, but I'm really ok with Cubase as well. They are so similar to me! So, the decided factor actually is the stability with my PC. As for now, S1 v5.2 is more cpu efficient than Cubase 10 (11 is horrible in my PC, static noise like a demo limitation every 20 or 30 minutes due to cpu spike!). However, I have Live 11 and Reaper 6 which they are smoother than butter! I just prefer S1/Cubase workflow, but if I must use Live or Reaper one day, I would be happy to do that as well. I like both of them and can do music with anyone (Live especially is very different than S1 and Cubase and has a learning curve).

For now, I'm using Studio One mainly followed by Live and Reaper. I like the experience as I haven't encountered any bug that I feel a deal breaker, however, the most DAW I trust is Live followed by Reaper, so that I won't sell those and use them as backup for the untrusty S1 and Cubase :D

Switched Cubase -> S1 back in the days and never looked back.
Just two things that I miss to this day:
Independent track loop and the middle button pan.

Of course the track loop can be replicated with creating a bunch of shared copies of a clip, but... :/

*edit: Just created a FR: https://answers.presonus.com/65832/inde ... track-loop :)

I've been trying the demo of the full version and have to say I really like the workflow and layout. I'm finding a lot of things easier and quicker to do in Studio One at the moment. I need to explore some of the more advanced features later.
My biggest concern is transferring my current Cubase projects with mixer and vst settings over to Studio One. Is there an easier way to do this?

tuzemec wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:51 am Switched Cubase -> S1 back in the days and never looked back.
Just two things that I miss to this day:
Independent track loop and the middle button pan.

Of course the track loop can be replicated with creating a bunch of shared copies of a clip, but... :/

*edit: Just created a FR: https://answers.presonus.com/65832/inde ... track-loop :)
I am glad I am not the only who wants "independent track loop" in Studio One. I have just been using this in Cubase and its a useful tool to sketch out quick ideas. Of course, you can achieve the same thing in Studio One by hitting "D" and copying stuff out, but its just more fun to do the looping thing in Cubase.

It was hyped up that Studio One would have a clip recording function, but it did'nt happen this time. Oh well, glad I also have Cubase.

dickiefunk wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:58 am I've been trying the demo of the full version and have to say I really like the workflow and layout. I'm finding a lot of things easier and quicker to do in Studio One at the moment. I need to explore some of the more advanced features later.
My biggest concern is transferring my current Cubase projects with mixer and vst settings over to Studio One. Is there an easier way to do this?
You could try if this works for you: https://answers.presonus.com/16748/how- ... udio-one-3

I've never done that, so, not sure if it works...

dickiefunk wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:58 am I've been trying the demo of the full version and have to say I really like the workflow and layout. I'm finding a lot of things easier and quicker to do in Studio One at the moment. I need to explore some of the more advanced features later.
I did transfer a song at its first stages yesterday by opening the two DAWs and drag and drop the clips from Cubase to S1, then replicate all settings. It worked and I'm now continuing in S1.

chk071 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:01 am
You could try if this works for you: https://answers.presonus.com/16748/how- ... udio-one-3

I've never done that, so, not sure if it works...
Thanks I'll try this :tu:
EnGee wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:07 am I did transfer a song at its first stages yesterday by opening the two DAWs and drag and drop the clips from Cubase to S1, then replicate all settings. It worked and I'm now continuing in S1.
Ah right. That makes sense. I was more wondering if there is a way you can export mixer and VST settings?
Did you notice any difference in cpu useage?

dickiefunk wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:13 am
EnGee wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:07 am I did transfer a song at its first stages yesterday by opening the two DAWs and drag and drop the clips from Cubase to S1, then replicate all settings. It worked and I'm now continuing in S1.
Ah right. That makes sense. I was more wondering if there is a way you can export mixer and VST settings?
Did you notice any difference in cpu useage?
Oh, about the mixer and VST settings, I replicate them the hard way! No direct export and import!

Yes. Although I used only 3 synths and Battery 4, but one of the synths was Reaktor synth and Cubase is not that good with Reaktor, so the result was less CPU in Studio One and the CPU indicator is more stable (not like in Cubase dancing all the times!).

At the moment, I would choose Cubase between the two as S1 only has partially implemented MPE support.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:46 pm At the moment, I would choose Cubase between the two as S1 only has partially implemented MPE support.
That’s interesting to know. However, I’m not using MPE at the moment and am not likely to for a good while yet so hopefully by the time I do this will be sorted.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”