Hive 2.X Feature Requests

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cnt wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:44 am
the3ug3reeder wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:24 am In the presets browser, I would LOVE it if there was a button to load a random preset...
This button would respect the current directory or tags selection.
So, if the '01 Basses' folder is currently selected, hitting the 'Random Preset' button would load a random preset from the '01 Basses' folder.

If, in the TAGS window, you currently have 'Pads' selected, hitting the 'Random Preset' button would load a random preset from the 'Pads' category.

I think this would be a great way to be able to explore the preset library without having to put too much initial thought into precisely what you're looking for. It would facilitate exploration and happy accidents
Cool idea! A random feature can be nice when you're in that mood. Although you can make quite complex patches in Hive, so it would probably need a lot of 'intelligence' or fed with a lot of ML to be really useful.
actually no:) I'm just suggesting it should SELECT a random preset from the already existing presets.

the3ug3reeder wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:49 am
cnt wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:44 am
the3ug3reeder wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:24 am In the presets browser, I would LOVE it if there was a button to load a random preset...
This button would respect the current directory or tags selection.
So, if the '01 Basses' folder is currently selected, hitting the 'Random Preset' button would load a random preset from the '01 Basses' folder.

If, in the TAGS window, you currently have 'Pads' selected, hitting the 'Random Preset' button would load a random preset from the 'Pads' category.

I think this would be a great way to be able to explore the preset library without having to put too much initial thought into precisely what you're looking for. It would facilitate exploration and happy accidents
Cool idea! A random feature can be nice when you're in that mood. Although you can make quite complex patches in Hive, so it would probably need a lot of 'intelligence' or fed with a lot of ML to be really useful.
actually no:) I'm just suggesting it should SELECT a random preset from the already existing presets.
aah haha :).. my own wishful thinking. :) Thats also a cool feature though.

You can already create a search from the current selection of tags in the preset browser and then get a listing of all likewise tagged presets. Now they will appear in quite random order and the < and > buttons will go through these, just as if random.

Screenshot 2021-06-20 at 14.05.09.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Urs wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:09 pm You can already create a search from the current selection of tags in the preset browser and then get a listing of all likewise tagged presets. Now they will appear in quite random order and the < and > buttons will go through these, just as if random.

Screenshot 2021-06-20 at 14.05.09.jpg
Thanks for the tip. It seems that the listing is always in alphabetical order or am I missing something?

yes, I guess it might be...

I think moving through a search listing would be just as good as having a random button if there was the possibility of shuffling the list. Please consider adding a shuffle button:)

An arpeggiator pattern selector.

E.g. 12 slots, when you have made an arp pattern in the first slot you copy it to a new slot, change somenthing (the oder of notes, the velocities etc) and then you may switch between the slots with a pattern selector knob or via the keyswitches (and the pattern selector knob could in turn be automated by an LFO or something).

That would be a great way to make more interesting rhythmic stuff, e.g. acid sequences (like in Phoscyon)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Urs wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:09 pmNow they will appear in quite random order and the < and > buttons will go through these, just as if random.
given the vast library of presets, a (midi) keyboard-based method of scrolling through patches is becoming ever more important.

there's glorious stuff in there but my carpal tunnel is making it very difficult for me to find it.

i guess i can use the random technique and then load 128 of those into the midi presets and cobble together a work-around to increment/decrement program changes but why should i have to do that?

the only alternative i've found is to record a midi clip and loop that, then use the computer keyboard to scroll through patches.

now that i have a midi guitar with cc and program change controls the lack of this feature is especially annoying. with other options i never have to move my hands away from the guitar. with hive i'm constantly reaching for the mouse.

(just for the record, hive2 was easily by far my best synth purchase ever, the sounds/controls are amazing)

Use the MIDI Programs folder. Explanation in the manual. All u-he plugins support this.

The function generators and new filters are good for drones/modular kind of sounds but unfortunately the envs always are starting from zero level (exception: overlapping notes in legato mode).

So, I'm suggesting a new mode mono2 or drone which works like mono/legato with envelopes (amp/mod/fg) not starting at zero but from their current level even when notes are not overlapping.

I'm quite new to Hive 2, but the first thing that I was personally missing is a live, animated indication of what parameters are modulated, by which source(s) and how they are modulated (live feedback, also whether it's uni- or bipolar).

That helps tremendously to get a quick visual overview of what is happening in the patch, without having to go into a modulation matrix where you first need to read everything. Instead, you can just see what is going on and further discovering from there, e.g. by hovering over a parameter or right clicking on it to see and adjust what's exactly happening.

I think this would fit Hive 2 particular well, with its design philosophy to show (almost) everything in one screen.

Once you get used to this, e.g. in Vital, Pigments, Bitwig, it's a bit hard to get back. For me it's definitely a usability downgrade, as I'm a rather visual oriented person. But there are other upsides to the u-he synths :)

A related, minor improvement could be also done to the right click menu of a parameter.
In Bitwig they display the active modulations right away, including which strength it has and a button to remove it.
2023-01-15 10_46_05-Hive Program 0_ Program 0.png
2023-01-15 10_54_35-.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

I'd like the LFO's in time base to be as fast as sync -

1/64th with rate at +5 and project tempo at 135 is much faster than 0.1s and rate at 5

I'd like 0.1s and rate at 5 to be as fast as 1/64 and rate at 5

I have a bunch of presets using the LFO to modulate cutoff and it sounds different at different tempos. Being able to set 0.1s to the same speed would resolve that.

I'd like to save Hive's SHAPE SEQUENCES as easily as with the other modules

pdxindy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:33 pm I'd like the LFO's in time base to be as fast as sync -

1/64th with rate at +5 and project tempo at 135 is much faster than 0.1s and rate at 5

I have a bunch of presets using the LFO to modulate cutoff and it sounds different at different tempos. Being able to set 0.1s to the same speed would resolve that.
Here's the thing... LFO rate is 2^x. So at +5, it is simply 32x faster (0=1, 1= 2... ...4 ...8 ...16 ...32). At 120 bpm (correct me if I'm wrong) a 1/64th takes 1/128 of a second, which makes it about 12 times as fast as 0.1s

Anyhow... we'd need a "Bazille-Mode" for Hive for any proper audio rate modulation that deserves the name. But as you know, Bazille's strengths are paid for by less flexible modulation options. Hive's weakness affords its great modulations. I know that it would be desirable to combine both strengths - without any drawbacks -, but I'm afraid that that's no easily achieved...

Urs wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:28 pm
pdxindy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:33 pm I'd like the LFO's in time base to be as fast as sync -

Here's the thing... LFO rate is 2^x. So at +5, it is simply 32x faster (0=1, 1= 2... ...4 ...8 ...16 ...32). At 120 bpm (correct me if I'm wrong) a 1/64th takes 1/128 of a second, which makes it about 12 times as fast as 0.1s

Anyhow... we'd need a "Bazille-Mode" for Hive for any proper audio rate modulation that deserves the name.
Yes, but I'm not asking it to be faster than it already is... just for there to be a 0.01 option that can go as fast as the 1/64th option already can. I understand the issues with control rate and am not asking for a Bazille mode. I am very happy with the results I can get with the 1/64th at its fastest or close to it... it's just frustrating that the resulting sound is so dependent on project tempo so it would be useful to get the same speed currently possible but tempo independent. Makes it clumsy to save presets as is and I end up making samples and building sample percussion kits instead.

Return to “u-he”