Arturia Pigments 3 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

YoGuRTeLLo wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:52 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:13 am The best price for Pigments so far has been $49, which I got last year. I think it was a special offer for V Collection owners.

We could probably see this offer again at some point this year.
Cool. I have a last V collection. Let's wait)

LoveEnigma18, can you compare pigments and vital?
you didn't ask me, but why not respond..... you can compare anything.

but first, something people tend to forget, Vital and Pigments have a totally different character (also VItal and Serum), Vital is a spectral warping wavetable synth, while Pigments, well is designed not as wavetable synth, yes in the beginning, but it has now a sampler, granular generator, harmonics (spectral) generator.
the sequencer is well, immense....

complete other filters, the Vital filters are designed specially for the spectral capabilties of VItal.

Pigments can indeed be bought at 69 euro/dollar, or 49 dollar/euro, i bought it at intro for 69 euro. and we are now 3 versions further...

both great synths in what they can do, perhaps they can be compared, but i wouldn't do it...
i wouldn't even compare Pigments or Vital with Serum (or Vast Dynamics Vaporizer 2, the clean wavetalbe synth i own, which suits me much better than Serum, personal feeling, it has some advantages that i like).

Vital Plus, when you want to support the dev, is only 25 dollar. it gives you an wavetable editor, you can make wavetables for Pigments.

(or if you have another wavetable synth that can do that; Phase Plant, also not a 'clean' or character wavetable synth, has one, more have them...)

disclaimer: i view synths from my position of course; i do make my own presets, and sometimes wavetables from samples, or just a basic wavetable, and re-built that one in Vital, or Vaporizer 2.

YoGuRTeLLo wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:52 am can you compare pigments and vital?
https://forum.vital.audio/t/vital-vs-pigments/8723
Windows 10 and too many plugins

I happen to think Pigments serves a need for granular and sequencing, while Vital has a more cinematic approach to synthesis. I like vital for modal synthesis and cinematic scoring, while I like pigments for granular and sequencing.

Both Pigments and Vital are amazing synths! Each very deep, but different. Both great tools to have in the toolbox. I don't see them as an either/or decision.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:38 pm Both Pigments and Vital are amazing synths! Each very deep, but different. Both great tools to have in the toolbox. I don't see them as an either/or decision.
If only we had unlimited time at our disposal ;)

Hello synth people,
a quick word to say I posted a new Pigments bank launch offer in Soundware
viewtopic.php?p=8544307#p8544307

Enjoy your Pigments synth
Philippe
Philippe

Has been a long time.

Teksonik wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:28 pm
chk071 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:31 am It isn't that much with an exponential release stage slope (try a longer amp envelope release, like 7 or 8 seconds, and then set up the filter envelope as well, set the release to 20 secs, and you will have that rather ugly "the filter envelope closes before the amp envelope does").
Not if you use the Decay Link in the filter Envelope.

Pigment Release.zip

In many cases I like "the filter envelope closes before the amp envelope does". It allows you to hear the full sweep.

I can't explain why Arturia didn't just make the curve adjustable for every segment of the envelopes. One could certainly argue that it's an odd omission in a synth that's otherwise very well thought out. I guess it's one of those things we'll have to accept until or if there is an update. I don't know if Arturia has a forum for feature requests but I doubt they'll see them here.
chk071 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:31 amStill gotta try out the function modulators though. They might work, if you set them up as an envelope (as far as I understand it, they work like MSEG's then).
The problem is just like in Vital, Env 1 is hardwired to VCA. I'm trying it now and I'm able to get closer to the 20 second release time using a function generator set to envelope mode on an engine or osc output level. Without it the time to zero is closer to 15 or 16 seconds.

Still that's a long time for release. It would be stealing notes like crazy even at max polyphony and I imagine the CPU demand would be much higher.

Edit: Here's a link to the Pigments feature request thread at the Arturia forums:

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?board=334.0
I'm also searching for a solution on custom release curve.. or even custom envelope and I reached this post. After some thinking I figured out a workaround to use func instead of envelope for VCA even if it is hardwired. You may set env ECA with 0 attack, decay set to a time more than desired and link to the release, sustain set to full (1.0), release set to 0, dec curve set to full, which makes a constant level holding a period of time from attack to sustain to release. Then we can use the amp mod set to func and the amount set to full. This will make the VCA sounds like following only the envelope shaped in func, and it will also follow the release in the func. If velo is also wanted on the amp mod, you may set the comb with type = multiply, source = func , mod = velo, amount = your desired value, then set the amp mod to the comb will do the trick.

The envelope VCA has a limit of 20s on decay time which roughly divided into 2, half for the release time. which make the limit of less than 10s for the release time (and the last second will not stay on 1.0), if in ADR mode you probably can have a release up to 20s , depending on the time you start to release.

francium0 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:59 am
Teksonik wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:28 pm
chk071 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:31 am It isn't that much with an exponential release stage slope (try a longer amp envelope release, like 7 or 8 seconds, and then set up the filter envelope as well, set the release to 20 secs, and you will have that rather ugly "the filter envelope closes before the amp envelope does").
Not if you use the Decay Link in the filter Envelope.

Pigment Release.zip

In many cases I like "the filter envelope closes before the amp envelope does". It allows you to hear the full sweep.

I can't explain why Arturia didn't just make the curve adjustable for every segment of the envelopes. One could certainly argue that it's an odd omission in a synth that's otherwise very well thought out. I guess it's one of those things we'll have to accept until or if there is an update. I don't know if Arturia has a forum for feature requests but I doubt they'll see them here.
chk071 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:31 amStill gotta try out the function modulators though. They might work, if you set them up as an envelope (as far as I understand it, they work like MSEG's then).
The problem is just like in Vital, Env 1 is hardwired to VCA. I'm trying it now and I'm able to get closer to the 20 second release time using a function generator set to envelope mode on an engine or osc output level. Without it the time to zero is closer to 15 or 16 seconds.

Still that's a long time for release. It would be stealing notes like crazy even at max polyphony and I imagine the CPU demand would be much higher.

Edit: Here's a link to the Pigments feature request thread at the Arturia forums:

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?board=334.0
I'm also searching for a solution on custom release curve.. or even custom envelope and I reached this post. After some thinking I figured out a workaround to use func instead of envelope for VCA even if it is hardwired. You may set env ECA with 0 attack, decay set to a time more than desired and link to the release, sustain set to full (1.0), release set to 0, dec curve set to full, which makes a constant level holding a period of time from attack to sustain to release. Then we can use the amp mod set to func and the amount set to full. This will make the VCA sounds like following only the envelope shaped in func, and it will also follow the release in the func. If velo is also wanted on the amp mod, you may set the comb with type = multiply, source = func , mod = velo, amount = your desired value, then set the amp mod to the comb will do the trick.

The envelope VCA has a limit of 20s on decay time which roughly divided into 2, half for the release time. which make the limit of less than 10s for the release time (and the last second will not stay on 1.0), if in ADR mode you probably can have a release up to 20s , depending on the time you start to release.
Yes, that‘s the way to go. For some use-cases (Psytrance staccato basses), it‘s very common to use MSEGs, instead of old-school ADSR-ENVs, because they offer more control over the decay and
release curve so you can sculpt the curve as you want. Often used in Serum and Phase Plant, too. In Serum, you need to „deactivate“ the ADSR-ENV the same way, as you described, in Phase Plant, you can use the curve modulator directly.

Hint: I did not test it, but I think, you don‘t even need the Comb modulator for velocity, because when you modulate the amp with a Func, you should be able to set velocity as side chain in the modulation matrix.

Return to “Instruments”