donkeyt - Superspreader- indie rokkkk.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Boss Lovin' DR
7855 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:28 pm

This was going to be my entry into this month's KVR song contest, had I been able to both read the rules, and finish it on time (intellectually challenged and also lazy - good combo :scared: ).

After arseing around with ambient, piano balladry, and the Rs and the Bs, thought it was time for some of the olde-time geetar indie rokk (proper music, like..). A bit 'busy' in the arrangement (throw enough shite in three and a half minutes and some will stick...), but think it just about works... :scared:

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/don ... reader.mp3

addled muppet weed
77712 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:31 pm

dodgy! :hihi:

nice work as ever! 8)

KVRAF
4370 posts since 21 Sep, 2005

Post Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:45 pm

donkey tugger wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:28 pm
This was going to be my entry into this month's KVR song contest, had I been able to both read the rules, and finish it on time (intellectually challenged and also lazy - good combo :scared: ).

After arseing around with ambient, piano balladry, and the Rs and the Bs, thought it was time for some of the olde-time geetar indie rokk (proper music, like..). A bit 'busy' in the arrangement (throw enough shite in three and a half minutes and some will stick...), but think it just about works... :scared:

Not able to check out your work mate.

This has happened a few times before.

I get disconnected when I try to connect to your song.

I can reconnect. And everything works. But then it cuts off. This happened before. I know it sounds mad. But I have had real difficulty listening to your music.

I won't try again, because my internet will get cut off.

It sounds f**king insane. But I just can't listen to your music on my network.

I just tried again. Got disconnected.

Ah well.

KVRAF

Post Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:46 pm

Nope not gonna work!

Can you put it up somewhere else - I'd love to hear it.

Boss Lovin' DR

Topic Starter

Post Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:50 pm

codec_spurt wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:45 pm
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:28 pm

Not able to check out your work mate.

This has happened a few times before.

I get disconnected when I try to connect to your song.

I can reconnect. And everything works. But then it cuts off. This happened before. I know it sounds mad. But I have had real difficulty listening to your music.

I won't try again, because my internet will get cut off.

It sounds f**king insane. But I just can't listen to your music on my network.

I just tried again. Got disconnected.

Ah well.
:o I assure you my administrative powers don't go as far as cutting off the internet! Weird one..

Here you go, a google drive link;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z5nUVb ... sp=sharing

I always round them all up every year or so (depending on just how lazy I'm being) and put them on Bandcamp as free anyhow, but I'll try and remember to post Google Drive links for new ones.

Boss Lovin' DR

Topic Starter

Post Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:32 pm

vurt wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:31 pm
Metaphor, my dear boy. It's obviously about people who talk bollocks/spread rumours etc, not an epidemiological treatise. :hihi:

addled muppet weed
77712 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:43 pm

Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:32 pm
Metaphor, my dear boy. It's obviously about people who talk bollocks/spread rumours etc, not an epidemiological treatise. :hihi:
:lol: i meant the band!
sounded like one of theirs in some parts!
was a bit of kasabian, with the more rock! bits too.

Boss Lovin' DR

Topic Starter

Post Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:22 am

Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:43 pm
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:32 pm
sounded like one of theirs in some parts!
was a bit of kasabian, with the more rock! bits too.
:lol:

If you would just use the capital letters to denote a definite article now and again..

KVRian
1060 posts since 28 Oct, 2005 from Finland

Post Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:13 am

Cool! Good rock song and performance. Well recorded and mixed.

KVRian
620 posts since 3 Jul, 2017

Post Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:38 am

Good work! Nice drum sound.. As always, reminds me of good, old Bob Mould back in the 80s..

KVRAF

Post Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:45 pm

Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:43 pm

Yeah, 'rocky' vibe but with those semi-sampled breakbeats underneath that maybe weren't played by a sampler, but a real drummer! :o

This is my fave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofhpVpNuc_k

Got to hear the song anyway. Sorry about that. I mess about on different systems from night to night and it's quite usual that things just don't work. I can get it to work- I can get anything to work, but sometimes it's quicker to post an alternative. Ta!

Great little song. Throwaway. Not no.1 material, which we all know you are cabable of! But sometimes it's good to just knock one out. Especially when, well, even if you did write a no.1...

Only listening to it on laptop speakers (external - pretty good). Guitars sound great. Mix is balanced. It's a jumper. Mid set filler. Not an opening song, or a closing one. Might sound harsh. Just my opinion.

I know you can do better. It sounds like you had a lot of fun doing it anyway. It's very good.

I don't usually respond to these song threads, but I know you can take the knocks!

Not 100 percent my cup of tea! But I respect the craft that went in to it.

Do you do requests?

Dear Donkey Tugger, could you, fix it, for me, to mix it all up and do one of those Dead Can Dance / Dodgy mixes. That's ''Dodgy' as in the band.

Quality work as usual. I'm just shitposting.

Not many real 'one man bands' out there. Those that do the drums, the bass, the guitar, the vox. And then write the material. Then produce it. Then engineer it. Then market it (even if it is just to a few lucky select here at KVR).

Major kudos from me.

:clap:

Boss Lovin' DR

Topic Starter

Post Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:39 pm

markkuja wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:13 am
Cool! Good rock song and performance. Well recorded and mixed.
Cheers!

Boss Lovin' DR

Topic Starter

Post Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:41 pm

htcnext2 wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:38 am
Nice drum sound..
The majority of the drums (except crash and ride from Addictive Drums) are the 'Motown Vol 6' free kit from Past To Future Samples;

https://gumroad.com/pasttofuturesamples

Lots of free/cheap gems on there if you're into your retro stuff. :love:

Boss Lovin' DR

Topic Starter

Post Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:36 am

codec_spurt wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:45 pm
But sometimes it's good to just knock one out.

:o Missus..

Throwaway is a good description, 10 minutes to write, but a long time twatting about with the production. Been doing so much other stuff recently I wanted (for my waning sanity..) to see if I could still write some manner of pop song. Job done I think.. :hihi:

Been a long while since I listened to Dead Can Dance - mebbe it's time for a 4AD period!

KVRAF
20385 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Sat May 01, 2021 10:19 am

DT, sorry I took so long to get to this, especially since I love listening to your stuff.

Anyway, right from the get go, love the bass playing. Is that a real bass? I know you play guitar but didn't know you played bass.

The song itself is so well written. I can honestly say I enjoyed every second of it. And you really mixed up the arrangement nicely. I would love to study the project file for this song. I think it would give me some insight into creating a truly interesting arrangement.

What else can I say? 5 out of 5 stars.

You really need to post more often. Or maybe not. Maybe it's because you don't crank things out like an assembly line that your stuff is so good.

There is a lesson there somewhere.

Return to β€œMusic Cafe”