Rift - A New Type Of Distortion Is Here

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

c_voltage wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:25 am
nonstatic wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:09 am They don't owe us anything.
I have always seemed fun this expression. In the context of any discussion containing criticism. As if someone intended make some legal claims by just sharing opinions.
have to comply with the conditions of their social license
:)

(one advantage of Rift for me is that I have gone back and played with Unfiltered Audio Dent2)

i am tempted honestly. Sold Trash2 cause i got tired of waiting for iZotope to update.

You can actually get money for Trash2 these days?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:07 pm You can actually get money for Trash2 these days?
yes, got 15€ for it

While I rarely sell plugins and don't think NFR would affect me personally, not allowing license transfer still kind of leaves a bad after taste. With so many high quality vst around, the way I perceive the devs has become a much more important factor in my buying decisions. For example seeing a developer engage with the community and consistently add features that people asked for at no extra cost makes me really want to support them. Business practice and the approach to things like second hand licenses also factors in, whether it affects me personally or not. But reading that they are not categorically opposed to license transfers and that the reasons are technical, as well as that it might be implemented later helps.

I don't think the price is outrageous for what it is. Not the cheapest maybe, but it's a very solid product, great workflow, well designed, sounds very good, too. I personally wouldn't have paid full price for it, but at $79 it's fair. Full refund to me is close enough to a demo, it's at most an inconvenience. I haven't fully decided yet, but I'll probably keep it.
Last edited by gondii on Sun May 30, 2021 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

I don’t mean to pile on but I have a hard enough time trying to resell iLok plugins because of the high transfer fee. There’s no way I would pay this sort of money for an NFR license. Sorry.

gondii wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:34 pm While I rarely sell plugins and don't think NFR would affect me personally,
I nor want to sell plugs nor could'n to do it even if wanted, since unavailable receive funds to paypal in our country, only for sending (but refund is work though). So, nfr is also no problem for me. Only complaint about the lack of a demo version.
I even can understand the price (discounted though heh), because who know, quite probably were spent palpable things for development. But is it really so - it is impossible to find out through video examples. The quality of programming can only be evaluate inside daw.

c_voltage wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:15 pm . . . quite probably were spent palpable things for development.
I get that some plugins take more to develop, but pricing is more about supply/demand, developing the brand name.

One can wonder, would Zynaptiq have made a lot more or a lot less money selling their plugins at $50 each--where they would have sold way more of each. I have no clue.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

This is a flagship multi-fx centered on distortion and the price is commensurate with other distortion-based products. BYOME retails for $249, Saturn 2 for $154, Decapitator $199, Softube Harmonics $149, Trash 2 $99, Output Thermal $149. Direct comparisons are hard to make since it does a lot of unique things and offers an oft-unmatched depth and breadth of options per module. Since there's no demo I get why if people don't grasp this.

Super short review for now: It's fantastic at adding texture, movement, air, and natural stereo widening to any material. It's a joy to use.

yellowmix wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:23 am This is a flagship multi-fx centered on distortion and the price is commensurate with other distortion-based products. BYOME retails for $249, Saturn 2 for $154, Decapitator $199, Softube Harmonics $149, Trash 2 $99, Output Thermal $149. Direct comparisons are hard to make since it does a lot of unique things and offers an oft-unmatched depth and breadth of options per module. Since there's no demo I get why if people don't grasp this.

Super short review for now: It's fantastic at adding texture, movement, air, and natural stereo widening to any material. It's a joy to use.
Retail prices for PA and Soundtoys (especially in a single view) that indeed strong argument :) .
Edit: Not to mention Izotope stuff.

True, if we compare with how cheap some of these plugins can be had during sales, Rift is more expensive than BYOME ($15-30), Decapitator ($29-49), Softube Harmonics ($49) and Trash2 (free - $10). But it's pretty different to most of these. Definitely cheaper than Saturn 2 and Thermal though. Still, I think the price makes sense for what it is.

Minimal Audio wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:38 pm
LeVzi wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:53 am
Minimal Audio wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:08 pm
Dirtgrain wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:54 pm Well, people often wish for Trash 2 to be updated. If it had morphing and modulation options like Rift, that would be great. But Trash 3 does not seem to be on the radar. And now Rift has come along with some nice features. I'll keep checking out videos--I really want to determine if I would appreciate its features over what I have now (Shaperbox, Shade and a lot of saturation and distortion plugins).
Hey, thanks for checking it out!

We'll be posting more videos that explore the features in the coming weeks :D

Just off the top of my head, a few things that I think sets Rift apart are the "musical" tuning effects, MIDI tracking, custom distortion + filter types, and the randomization features.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Best,
Ben from Minimal Audio
It does look a very interesting plugin but you seem to be avoiding the points people have made, $75 is simply a very high price for a new plugin, and when that offer ends its going to $129 , which is absurd tbh. And now it appears you are selling a NFR plugin, that's going to put so many people off. Maybe you need to revise your pricing and license transfer policy.
To put it simply, we don't think it is too much for the feature set and sound that it offers. We've worked on and used comparable pieces of software that are in that price range or higher. I totally understand if it's too much for some people, but that's what we think Rift is worth.

We are looking into adding license transfers but it would require some backend development, so we obviously cannot tell people that we offer it right now.
Fair enough, but after the price rises $129 is ridiculous for it. Also no demo even with a 30 day return is a pain in the arse, a simple time restricted demo makes more sense. Another bad selling point. If it goes to license transfers that would go a long way to helping but what if you can't offer that at all, its NFR and thats a no no really.

Good luck with it though.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Yeah really, using retail price of PA plugins for comparison is a joke.

Also, people aren't complaining about price, they're complaining about the price in conjunction with:
- NFR
- no demo

Paying and refund is different and feels different than downloading a demo and actually using it.
NFR is a pain in the ass because first 30-days is usually not when i decide whether i love the plugin or not, couple of months is

gondii wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:41 am True, if we compare with how cheap some of these plugins can be had during sales, Rift is more expensive than BYOME ($15-30), Decapitator ($29-49), Softube Harmonics ($49) and Trash2 (free - $10). But it's pretty different to most of these. Definitely cheaper than Saturn 2 and Thermal though. Still, I think the price makes sense for what it is.
Ok, after watching more videos now i can agree that there is good work (appreciated curve editor). But again, demo required at least for check variability (difference) of each of its algorithms (distortions\filters) in the lists. Even the longest video doesn't reveal it clearly (but thanks anyway). I do not want to say that other dist's cool with this aspect (that why i did pass Thermal btw - after splice). But being without confidence that all ok with the this point, i honestly would not rush either with the evaluate of general complexity nor with comparisons to strong oldies (Trash2 has a good side in this sense btw, i mean variability, with his IR system).

I decided to pick up Rift. I bought it directly from Minimal because Minimal's site said that if purchased from a distrib, the distrib refund policy would apply. I had considered PB to get a few $'s discount but they generally don't allow refunds. So, without a demo I felt it purdent to buy directly to get the 30 day refund policy.

I have a feeling I am not going to refund it. It's pretty great. There are a lot of options and so there seems to be endless possibilities. One of the issues I have with a lot of distortion/filter combos is they sonically get out of hand quickly and it can be difficult to reign the energy in. So far I am finding Rift very easy to manager - it keeps a good musical balance about itself even when pushed to screaming.

Initially $75 seemed like a lot. The more I use Rift the more it seems worth it. I need to experiment with it more. I am working on track where I am at a dead end with it. I am thinking some synth with Rift on it might be what it needs! I'll give that a try.

I have to concur that Rift Lite does give a good general sense of the sound of Rift. Rift just adds a lot more to the palette.

Return to “Effects”