Zebra or u-he centric Discord server?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for a place to immerse myself in creative and technique discussions on Zebra in a real-time environment such as Discord.

Is there such a thing?

Cheers
Markus

There's a group on Facebook that've itched to get into, but I've decided not to go there until Z3 is ready... (I would spend way to much time in such environments)

Urs wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:13 pm There's a group on Facebook that've itched to get into, but I've decided not to go there until Z3 is ready... (I would spend way to much time in such environments)
Understandable Though peeking in every now and then focusing on current conversations exclusively is a lot more manageable, particularly in a real time environment - just stay away from the chat history.

Anyway, there appears to be a very large Zebra user base, yet nowhere to ask the kind of question that comes up while you're in the middle of using it.
More elaborate and considered questions you might post on this forum here, which would pull you out of your workflow more than a 2 minute exchange in a chatroom does.

Is anyone aware of any unofficial Zebra locations on Discord? Would much rather join an existing one than set one up from scratch.

I decided to bite the bullet and start building a little community around three subjects that don't seem to be covered anywhere else in the detail I've been looking for:
  • instrument specific deep dives (including Zebra)
  • creative musings on sound design techniques
  • ways to speed up instrument and DAW interaction (workflows, templates, macro techniques)
If you're interested in taking part in the very early stages of this community, please drop me a line or respond here and I'll hook you up with the link.

I know that Tracktion Hyperion has used Discord for community discussion and support, which I think is a wonderful idea that I hope other VST developers consider. Pitchdrifter, that community sounds like a great idea. Are you thinking of building it on Discord? If there is interest for it and nothing similar exists currently, I may be interested in join and/or helping with it.

Benjamin923 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:17 pm I know that Tracktion Hyperion has used Discord for community discussion and support, which I think is a wonderful idea that I hope other VST developers consider. Pitchdrifter, that community sounds like a great idea. Are you thinking of building it on Discord? If there is interest for it and nothing similar exists currently, I may be interested in join and/or helping with it.
Hi Benjamin,
I've been looking for a sound design focused community since mid 2018.
I found forums (like the one here at KVR) - where the non-realtime format stifles discussion on a subject that's tricky to put into words to begin with, leaving people reluctant to participate.

A real time format, while dependent on other people being around to hear your question, puts less of a demand on the eloquence in translating a question regarding sound attributes and methods, as the nature of the messages is more transient.

As you can tell I'm a believer in Discord as a medium with the right combination of old-school IRC and forums - you can interact real time, and still pick up on subjects you weren't around for when the discussion began.

I put the basic infrastructure in place on Discord - for now please check my KVR profile for the link to the portal page. Feel free to join us over there, we appreciate everyone who participates, even more so at this early stage.

I'll be posting a link for convenience here and possibly over in the sound design forum in a few weeks after I get permission from Urs and his team. Don't want to abuse this place for advertising.
Last edited by pitchdrifter on Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

pitchdrifter wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:35 pm
Benjamin923 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:17 pm I know that Tracktion Hyperion has used Discord for community discussion and support, which I think is a wonderful idea that I hope other VST developers consider. Pitchdrifter, that community sounds like a great idea. Are you thinking of building it on Discord? If there is interest for it and nothing similar exists currently, I may be interested in join and/or helping with it.
Hi Benjamin,
I've been looking for a sound design focused community since mid 2018.
I found forums (like the one here at KVR) - where the non-realtime format stifles discussion on a subject that's tricky to put into words to begin with, leaving people reluctant to participate.

A real time format, while dependent on other people being around to hear your question, puts less of a demand on the eloquence in translating a question regarding sound attributes and methods, as the nature of the messages is more transient.

As you can tell I'm a believer in Discord as a medium with the right combination of old-school IRC and forums - you can interact real time, and still pick up on subjects you weren't around for when the discussion began.

I put the basic infrastructure in place on Discord - for now please check my profile here for the link to the portal page. Feel free to join us over there, we appreciate everyone who participates, even more so at this early stage.

I'll be posting a link for convenience here and possibly over in the sound design forum in a few weeks after I get permission from Urs and his team. Don't want to abuse this place for advertising.
Great initiative! I'm an old IRC user but never really got into Discord other then for some gaming with close friends. Will join you!

I’ll join it. This is a fun idea, I hope it takes off.

I think Discord by far is the most convenient. Im sure I am not the only one that despises facebook. Discord is just awesome, and a great way to keep things organized, and accessible. The Surge discord, Xfer, Kilohearts, and many others have excellent customer interaction. Lots of patch, skin, and content sharing, and users are always very helpful with answering questions. I think a U-He Discord would be exceptional.

vertibration wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:50 pm I think Discord by far is the most convenient. Im sure I am not the only one that despises facebook. Discord is just awesome, and a great way to keep things organized, and accessible. The Surge discord, Xfer, Kilohearts, and many others have excellent customer interaction. Lots of patch, skin, and content sharing, and users are always very helpful with answering questions. I think a U-He Discord would be exceptional.
Hi Vertibration,

the Discord server isn't affiliated with u-he, or any other developer for that matter. It is, however, dedicated to various aspects of music related sound design and offers channels for deep dives about an instrument and most u-he synths happen to have a deep dive channel.

That said, developers are of course welcome. I have been wondering whether or not Urs would notice if we kidnapped Howard.

I meant, U-He should have their own discord channel

Discord insists on an app. They act like you don't need the app, but in my experience they'll deactivate your account and insinuate that you're a 'hacker' unless you authenticate via their app. They want the app on your device ...
I had some fun conversations with their support team--once we got past the canned answers. I don't trust them at all.
Sorry to throw shade, but there's many other Discord-like platforms worth while.

....what do you have to back up your claims about Discord? I couldnt find anything online to reference what you are claiming

Claims? I had an experience with them and that was that. Possibly though everything has changed now and they're entirely better. I don't know. It doesn't matter; I'm not going to run their blob on my machines. I only wanted to use their web portal, but they prevented me from doing that and insisited I install their app ... Very fishy.

Online, you can find articles about how to deal with the various malware/spyware/hackability aspects of the Discord app. You can also find some interesting information about the founders and current officers, if you like. Thing is, you'd have to be concerned with all that in the first place though, so ... If you're going to do a search, it'd have to be pretty specific and you might consider the search engine you're using as well.

Return to “u-he”