Algonaut Atlas 2 finally announced. New buyers get 2 for free, 19$ upgrade for others.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Atlas Atlas 2

fisherKing wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:23 pm
Harry_HH wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:06 pm The basic flaw simply is - according to my opinion - that the end result doesn’t sound good. Or making it sound good after
1.the ”AI” has generated the mapping
2, you let the the system to create the drum kit
to make the final result sound good requires a lot of manual tweaking.

Its easier the do the whole process manually. E.g. by create a drum rack in the Live, and the choose each kit piece sound to the rack from your Live sound library/your purchased drum sound library.

What is the add on value of the Atlas ”AI” if it isn’t capable to create the mapping in the way, that once you generate the kit based on mapped kit piece categories, the end result of the kit sounds 80-90 % good?

But as said, if you are happy with the Atlas, good for you. So far the AI which ”listens” the sound and makes the ”kit piece group universe”, isn’t good enough, in my opinion.
random sound choices are... random. if that's not a good starting point, you don't have to use that option.

i choose the sounds i want, and get to work... just as you can do in the drum plugins in most DAWs. i like the list view, the options & control i have in over sounds in atlas. not sure what else there is.
What is the Atlas add on value in that case? I find more coherent and solid kit piece groups in the sample library packs, which I cand use for creating manually a rack.

Harry_HH wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:35 pm What is the Atlas add on value in that case? I find more coherent and solid kit piece groups in the sample library packs, which I cand use for creating manually a rack.
what's the value of a piano plugin if you have a built-in piano in your DAW? what's the value of (another) synth? it's all subjective, and connects to our tastes, needs, workflow. for example, i prefer pianoteq to the built-in pianos in logic.

i have a TON of 3rd-party drum sounds in atlas, and use those (mostly). so it's really a non-issue; we use what we want to use. anyway, all good :tu:

I love the multiple map workflow, the only problem is Atlas ignores samples longer than roughly 2 seconds and excludes them from the maps, which can be a deal breaker in some cases.

hey212 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:39 pm I love the multiple map workflow, the only problem is Atlas ignores samples longer than roughly 2 seconds and excludes them from the maps, which can be a deal breaker in some cases.
you should look into that. i have percussion sounds, cymbals that are longer than 2 seconds, and they all play fine in atlas (in logic pro)...

I’ve tested many times to confirm the behavior, most recently after the 2.4.2 update. More importantly, I have an email thread dating back to 2022 with Matt, the developer, who obviously acknowledged that Atlas ignores longer samples, and has said, since late 2022, that he’s working on a big update to address it. Whatever length the cymbals you're referring to are, if they even appear in the map at all, they are short enough to avoid the cutoff point.

I have loads of drumkits from NI expansions, they sound great. Nearly every drumkit sounds better than an Atlas random drumkit. But that is because somebody has collated the drumkits, it isn't a fault of Atlas.

Spring Goose wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:15 am I have loads of drumkits from NI expansions, they sound great. Nearly every drumkit sounds better than an Atlas random drumkit. But that is because somebody has collated the drumkits, it isn't a fault of Atlas.
Atlas does come with some kits though, and they're pretty good I think.

I get you point about needing to curate from the our own samples.... But these may already come with lots or you'd have to do it anyway without such a nice tool in the sound map....

_leras wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:48 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:15 am I have loads of drumkits from NI expansions, they sound great. Nearly every drumkit sounds better than an Atlas random drumkit. But that is because somebody has collated the drumkits, it isn't a fault of Atlas.
Atlas does come with some kits though, and they're pretty good I think.

I get you point about needing to curate from the our own samples.... But these may already come with lots or you'd have to do it anyway without such a nice tool in the sound map....
Alright! I just meant to Harry_HH about the random kits. Shoulda quoted him specifically.

I'll check out the stuff that comes with Atlas, i hadn't yet! Cheers

I've found Atlas's random function very useful for giving me a starting point for making my own kits.
hey - you seen Rando?! (if you like Atlas's random function)

Return to “Instruments”