Is there something wrong with Cakewalk?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I actually do use Reaper (among other DAWs). But it annoys me that the Reaper community continuously confuses customizing the user interface with customizing the user experience.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

jonljacobi wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:02 pm I've used Cakewalk occasionally since well back in the day before it became Sonar. I might've stayed but Sonar became extremely unstable at one point and remained that way for a couple of years. It's very stable now, and under development, but the workflow is enough different from others that it takes a bit of relearning. Also, I'm entrenched in my current DAW. Finally, the interface doesn't scale which is important to me these days.
That's encouraging to hear, Sonar was an unstable mess when I left it around 15 years ago. It was buggy and crashy and Cubase was a breath of fresh air at the time: Cubase was rock-solid, responsive, (as far as I could tell) almost bug-free, and just *worked*. Glad to hear Cakewalk/Sonar has overcome its legacy issues to become a mature, functional DAW.
kritikon wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:39 am I used it for a few months last year when I got back into music after a longish break. I found it had everything I needed to make music, but it was clunky.
The automation was all over the place (some automation lanes just seemed to mysteriously disappear, some played but went invisible, some even changed what they were automating every time I came back to a project...quite bizarre).
Okay, maybe I spoke too soon... :lol:
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:18 am
Well, the poster quoted confessed not having been able to find, and subsequently read, the FM, so I don't really believe that his words count as an informed opinion.

I've had cakewalk installed for a while now, don't use it every day but when I do it has been very stable, no issues whatsoever.
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

JoseC. wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:26 pm
JerGoertz wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:18 am
Well, the poster quoted confessed not having been able to find, and subsequently read, the FM, so I don't really believe that his words count as an informed opinion.
I see nothing that would invalidate what he wrote.
A well-behaved signature.

After recording midi, I have to stop playback in order to see and manipulate the midi data. That's super frustrating. Maybe I have a setting checked somewhere that's causing it. Idk...

Spin Boyz wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:00 pm After recording midi, I have to stop playback in order to see and manipulate the midi data. That's super frustrating. Maybe I have a setting checked somewhere that's causing it. Idk...
The piano roll shows the midi during playback.
How do you keep up with the notes rolling by?

long live Cakewalk by Bandlab
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

On most DAWs, you can hit the record button to stop recording while the music is still playing and see your midi data. In Cakewalk, I have to hit stop to see the midi data. You don't see any notes rolling by until you hit stop.

At least it has a proper MIDI event list you can interact with unlike Studio One, Ableton and Bitwig.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Spin Boyz wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:02 pm On most DAWs, you can hit the record button to stop recording while the music is still playing and see your midi data. In Cakewalk, I have to hit stop to see the midi data. You don't see any notes rolling by until you hit stop.
Ok, thanks.
I don't see the use for it myself but apparently you and others like to work that way. And i respect that.
Maybe the developers surprise us with that feature in the future. :tu:

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:05 pm At least it has a proper MIDI event list you can interact with unlike Studio One, Ableton and Bitwig.
I especially like the filter in the event list. It helps a lot when i download a midifile that contains lot of cc events that i don't want.
I can filter out all note-events and delete what's left. :D

i think Cakewalk's major flaw is it's Zooming.

Reaper is great at zooming ,fantastic even.

I want to be able to get my cursor in Cakewalk and move the mouse wheel and have the zoom centered like it does in Reaper.

Been looking in preferences but can't find anything.

LOL,they all have their WARTS,every DAW.

Is there a VOICE CONTROLLED DAW?????

'Now that would be awesome!
Last edited by Smasha on Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saffran wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:41 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:05 pm At least it has a proper MIDI event list you can interact with unlike Studio One, Ableton and Bitwig.
I especially like the filter in the event list. It helps a lot when i download a midifile that contains lot of cc events that i don't want.
I think Cubase has this,not sure and in Reaper there is a SWS action to remove all CC events.

Some midis sound absolutely lousy when you are not using the exact instruments the creator used.

Saffran wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:41 pm
Ableton Live has a "Simplify Envelope" right-click menu option that works with Automation, Modulation (a relative variation of automation, automation is absolute) and MIDI CC.

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/autom ... -envelopes

There is also a Clear All Envelopes right-click menu option that can delete all MIDI CC (doesn't delete notes).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”