Emergence - awesome granular effect

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Emergence

I'm surprised not to see a thread yet for Emergence: https://www.kvraudio.com/product/emerge ... el-gergely

I am a sucker for granulators/granular manipulation in general. I love the line it can ride between soft and cloudy ambience vs stuttery, clicky digital chaos. And I think Emergence covers this range well!

It really shines when the parameters are modulated. Unfortunately it doesn't have modulators of its own, but the REAPER built-in LFOs do a fine job. I would love to see built-in modulators in the future (which the page says is a feature the dev wants to do), as well as the ability to randomize the parameters per-grain. That is, rather than having each grain be the same length and modulating the entire "length" knob, making it so that each individual grain has some randomness added - for example if the length is at 0.5 x the buffer, you could add 0.2x's worth of randomness and have each grain be somewhere between 0.3x and 0.7x long.

Has anyone used this one much?

Hi! Thank you for the kind words. I'm always happy to read that people enjoy using the plugin.

Built-in LFOs/modulators would definitely take this effect to the next level and I plan to add this feature (in the near future, hopefully).
More controlled and fine-grained randomization is also possible and would be useful to discover new and interesting sounds or add and element of surprise during a performance. I think the "tweak it" feature in Concept2 is a really good example of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olbmW9yhkQA

If anyone has any questions, comments or feature requests feel free to post it here! It would be awsome to get some feedback from people who use the plugin in their projects.
Emergence: granular effect plugin for mac and windows | reaper_command_palette | patreon | youtube | newsletter

I downloaded this about a week ago, but only had a couple of hours to play with it. I did have a lot of fun with it, and hope to put it to some serious use later this year. It sounds great.

I'm almost ( yeah, right :hihi: ) finished with a rather glitchy ambient track where the only constant element is a guitar turned into kind of a pad with the help of Emergence. I should probably put the current version on my Soundcloud one of these days...
Needless to say (?), this is one of my favourites from this year's dev challenge :)

I havent tried it yet, but it looked like one of my favs from the challenge.
These kind of real time granular effects are still kind of rare fun experimental toys. The best features and gui are still being worked out and they all have a special niche.
@Daniel,
Great idea for an entry. If you are looking for feature requests, you might check out threads on Portal and Silo and their granular features.
Woo, yea that Tweak It thing is pretty amazing.
ImageImageImageImage

Is there a chance to get a Mac version? Preferably VST? If you need to test a build, I could jump in…

Yes I would love to release a mac version in the future (most likely VST3 and maybe AU). But I'm not sure when this will happen as I currently do not have a mac to build/test on.
Emergence: granular effect plugin for mac and windows | reaper_command_palette | patreon | youtube | newsletter

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”