Arturia V Collection 9. Predictions?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
V Collection X

Arturia's synths were light years ahead of other VSTi in 2004.

I'm actually understanding what your point is less than when you started.
That 2004 modeling wasn't up 2021 standards? OK.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:47 am Arturia's synths were light years ahead of other VSTi in 2004.

It's not my point. But OK. :)
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

Gadget Fiend wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:52 am
jamcat wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:47 am Arturia's synths were light years ahead of other VSTi in 2004.

It's not my point. But OK. :)
I think you're missing his point, which is pretty straightforward. Name any emulation of any hardware from 17 years ago that sounded anything like the original. The only things that came close at all was Arturia. I A/B'd just the raw oscillator sound of the Modular against the Memorymoog here back then, and I thought, not bad. Not great, but honestly nothing sounds in real life like an analog. In a full song though, all the subtle difference is lost IMO. Nobody outside of the synth community cares if it's analog or digital, if it aliases or sounds like the original, it's simply academic on principal without practical application in the real world. Hybrid 3 is on more hits than pretty much any other soft synth, and it's average sounding.

To your point I didn't own any Arturia software until around 2012 or so, but I have analog hardware, I've been focused on digital synthesis methods for soft synths since the beginning. I've owned Zebra from day one and didn't get Diva until near last out of all of U-He synths.

Even with that, the vitriol is just too strong, you really have something against their attempts it seems? you must really hate Cherry audio then? :lol:

machinesworking wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:24 am I think you're missing his point, which is pretty straightforward. Name any emulation of any hardware from 17 years ago that sounded anything like the original. The only things that came close at all was Arturia. I A/B'd just the raw oscillator sound of the Modular against the Memorymoog here back then, and I thought, not bad. Not great, but honestly nothing sounds in real life like an analog. In a full song though, all the subtle difference is lost IMO. Nobody outside of the synth community cares if it's analog or digital, if it aliases or sounds like the original, it's simply academic on principal without practical application in the real world. Hybrid 3 is on more hits than pretty much any other soft synth, and it's average sounding.

To your point I didn't own any Arturia software until around 2012 or so, but I have analog hardware, I've been focused on digital synthesis methods for soft synths since the beginning. I've owned Zebra from day one and didn't get Diva until near last out of all of U-He synths.

Even with that, the vitriol is just too strong, you really have something against their attempts it seems? you must really hate Cherry audio then? :lol:
I just think companies that behave in dishonest ways should be called out for their lies. Arturia knew for a fact that their early plugins sounded almost nothing like the original hardware synths. And yet they kept hyping their "True Analog Emulation" technology trying to convince everyone that their plugins were authentic (i.e., "true" representations of their hardware counterparts). IMO, if a company claims to be creating TRUE emulations, then there should be some basis in fact to those claims (regardless of whether their emulations sounded better - a claim I strongly contest - than the competition).

The reality is that Arturia were playing fast and loose with the truth and in my opinion should be held accountable for their misrepresentations. Otherwise, what's the incentive for other companies to be truthful about the capabilities of their products?
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

So a couple things:
1) TAE has to do with Arturia’s free-running, drifting oscillator generation which mimics true analog oscillators.

2) Your arguments are lame and whiny even by KVR standards.

jamcat wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:53 am So a couple things:
1) TAE has to do with Arturia’s free-running, drifting oscillator generation which mimics true analog oscillators.

You sir, do not know what you are talking about. TAE was all about aliasing free oscillators. I am actually old enough to remember the marketing hype (and the oscilloscope screenshots showing how low the aliasing was on Arturia emulations).

Get your facts straight.

‘True Analog Emulation’ becomes ‘Truer Analog Emulation’ that becomes ‘Even Truer Analog Emulation’ that becomes ‘Ultimate Analog Emulation’ and on and on...
That’s how developing a product works. The vitriol and chest beating displayed on these forums is getting really bad. PA, Waves, Arturia etc all do what they do with - what can assume are - the best intentions. We live in a society where advertising hyperbole is taken with a pinch of salt, probably best to get on with it and look somewhere else for a company that agrees with your high moral standards.

Gadget Fiend wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:04 am You sir, do not know what you are talking about. TAE was all about aliasing free oscillators. I am actually old enough to remember the marketing hype (and the oscilloscope screenshots showing how low the aliasing was on Arturia emulations).

Get your facts straight.
so...did the oscillators alias (or at least suppress it to the degree advertised by Arturia)?

gaggle of hermits wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:11 am so...did the oscillators alias (or at least suppress it to the degree advertised by Arturia)?
Yes, the oscillators were very clean. Too clean in fact. I had a lot of analog synths at the time and felt that the analog saturation and distortion were distinctly absent from the Arturia instruments. I honestly didn't care about aliasing (as almost no one should to the exclusion of the overall sound of an instrument). I just wanted a beefy tone.

so, to sum up Arturia delivered what they said they delivered. what you really have an issue* with basically is an acronym that dates back more than a decade. I know you like the oldies but maybe after a decade of soft-synths-are-bad-mmmkay jihad, don't you want to change it up a bit?

* and by "issue", let's call it what it really is: forum bait.

mate, you yourself wrote a matter of minutes ago that TAE was about aliasing-free oscillators. which they apparently delivered. as I pointed out, you are using the acronym to support your little motte-and-bailey argument I guess on the basis that people might assume that. but given you went to the trouble of correcting another poster on what TAE meant, maybe you want to give up on this line - you've already blown it up.

Both of you are right in fact. Read any of Arturia's analog synths manuals and it explains TAE as both aliasing-free oscillators and drifting behaviour that emulates the slight changes of waveform from one note to the following one, like analog oscillators.

I think they might do an Andromeda A6, but that's a vague prediction.

starflakeprj wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:28 pm I wouldn't say it's highly unlikely, but I wouldn't classify the AN1x as a vintage synth. So far there have only been 80s synths, or older, in the V-Collection, and the AN1x is from the later parts of the 90s.
Gadget Fiend wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:39 am Although the interface left a little to be desired, the AN1x was one of the best sounding virtual analog synths of the 90s. At the time I owned a Virus A rack, a Nord Rack 1, and an AN1x as my controller keyboard. I thought the AN1x sounded the most authentically analog of the bunch.
I remember an article in one of the music magazines at that time where the author had the chance to visit the Yamaha R&D department and could speak to the guys working on the AN1x. They had a Prophet 5 on their desk that they used as a reference in their developments. So at least the AN1x is inspired by the Prophet 5. If that makes it to a classic I don't know, but it is a nice synth. I still have the PLG version in a MU128.
But the FS1r or a VL emulation in V Collection 9 I would like more. Next to the Synton Syrinx and the Chroma Polaris.

Gadget Fiend wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:04 am
jamcat wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:53 am So a couple things:

You sir, do not know what you are talking about. TAE was all about aliasing free oscillators. I am actually old enough to remember the marketing hype (and the oscilloscope screenshots showing how low the aliasing was on Arturia emulations).

Get your facts straight.
Arturia — What is TAE®?

Return to “Instruments”