Went OTB - and then ITB again

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What happened t it? I use it all the time.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Not the synth

[quote=DrGonzo post_id=8202323 time=1630647791 user_id=4]
[quote=Nrt post_id=8201791 time=1630601597 user_id=149365]
Only outboard processor I have is SSL bus comp. I want to remove it as soon as I can find software alternative.
[/quote]

I thought SSL bus compressors were in absolute abundance in the software market. Never been much into SSL to I can't comment on the quality of the software emulations, but they can't all be bad can they?

/C
[/quote]

After 6 months, I can't still find alternative. Hardware SSL bus comp is stapled on the bus. I don't even change setting of it much.

cryophonik wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:18 am My current hardware setup consists of my Prophet Rev2, Moog Slim Phatty, and my trusty ole Kurzweil PC3X, which is my main composition instrument (I usually start with just piano improvs). But, I’m also on the verge of buying another mono synth to fill that one annoying empty input on my interface, probably a Moog Minitaur, but also eyeing an Arturia Microbrute 2S or Roland SE-02.
Oh wow, this thread bump made me look back at my list from six months ago and realize that I’ve gone a little overboard and now have that Minitaur, bought and sold a Microbrute 2S and also added a Sub37, Pulse2, Shruthi XT, Novation Peak, Bass Station 2, Dreadbox Typhon, DrumBrute Impact, Digitakt, and just got home from trading a guy some other gear for a Roland JU-06a. I can’t recall the last time I opened a soft synth. :hyper:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Well, I've owned several of the instruments in your list and I honestly can't remember ever even using any of them for anything. Too much effort for absolutely no reward. Honestly, Pulse 2 was a huge disappointment, Bass Station isn't worth owning and the JU-06 is good for about two patches and nothing else. My bandmate has a Sub-37 but I can't recall the last time he used it and it's never found it's way into an actual song, either one of ours or any of his side-projects.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

personally I have found gear I like OTB, and gear I like ITB, but trying to get OTB and ITB gear to work with each other is always a lot of work and I don't want to go full "dawless" so just sticking to ITB wherever possible makes my life a lot easier.

MitchK1989 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:43 pm personally I have found gear I like OTB, and gear I like ITB, but trying to get OTB and ITB gear to work with each other is always a lot of work and I don't want to go full "dawless" so just sticking to ITB wherever possible makes my life a lot easier.
Ive found Expert Sleepers modules like the ES-3,6 and 8 to be excellent hardware bridges between the DAW and Eurorack FWIW.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

as a guitarist, ive always been hybrid
shit at guitar, but still counts!!!

MitchK1989 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:43 pm personally I have found gear I like OTB, and gear I like ITB, but trying to get OTB and ITB gear to work with each other is always a lot of work and I don't want to go full "dawless" so just sticking to ITB wherever possible makes my life a lot easier.
No issues doing it here. What’s been the pain point or points?

The reality is that hardware's a PITA whether you are trying to use it with a computer or just with other hardware. Getting hardware to work with a DAW is no harder than getting several pieces of hardware to work together. In fact, it's mostly easier.

Both ITB and OTB have their benefits and uses. Really, a hybrid workflow is the best approach and can't be beat because there are strengths each have. Going strictly ITB or OTB might be fun for a little while, but it can definitely pigeon hole your music. Right now I prefer using a DAW and also like using plugin effects while I prefer using hardware synths and effects as well. Keeps my creativity alive and I don't have to worry about things sounding flat or stale for the most part.

BONES wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:39 pm The reality is that hardware's a PITA whether you are trying to use it with a computer or just with other hardware. Getting hardware to work with a DAW is no harder than getting several pieces of hardware to work together. In fact, it's mostly easier.
In my reality it's pretty easy (it's not 'rocket science'). I find 'ergonomics' the hardest part. If I can't comfortably operate a hardware device, I shouldn't have bought it in the first place (hasn't happened to me though).

Ergonomics is an interesting aspect of it all. If you look at the vast majority of YouTube videos in people's studios, you'll see that their hardware instruments are invariably in a rack away from the desk they sit in front of while they work. They almost seem like props, which is interesting because that's exactly how I see the hardware we use on stage - it's there because it looks good, not because it does anything useful.

In the end it probably depends on how you see yourself - are you the guy in the live room standing in front of a keyboard stand, laying down tracks or are you the guy in the control room making sure it all sounds good as it goes to "tape". I'm definitely the guy in the control room most of the time.

BONES wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:30 pm They almost seem like props, which is interesting because that's exactly how I see the hardware we use on stage - it's there because it looks good, not because it does anything useful.
About live performances: I don't relate to people that want to see musical "props".
Sure, (me as a spectator) * I * like to see synths on stage, preferably filmed and projected on a screen. But that's because of my interest in them.
From (my) experience - the best live performances I've seen didn't involve musical instruments. I'm just talking about the visual aspect here. I've seen bands playing, they mostly * look * alike. (but sure, that's different for a 15-year old, witnessing their first live show :tu: )

The thing is that you want to put on a performance, not just stand there and play your songs. Depending on your audience, they might be happy for you to stand there and stare at a laptop screen but if, like us, you want to be seen more as a rock band than a nerdy DJ/producer, having actual instruments on stage definitely helps to project that image.

I'd love to find a way to get back to the way I was able to perform with my Trinity, where I could press play at the start of the set and never have to even look at the touchscreen again, let alone interact with it. The Trinity allowed me to queue up my songs in whichever order I wanted and it would go from song to song automatically. I had hopes that Studio One's Show Page might allow that but it's not set up for it at all. At least with S1 I can pre-load the whole set, which makes the gaps between songs much shorter than they used to be with Orion or Cubase.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”