Problems with Focusrite driver Win 10

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tonymax wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:38 pm well, its started to happen again, had many BSOD's today, and the focusrite just seems to disconnect and no hardware found in the control centre.
its driving me mad, been ok for a while, no other hardware installed recently, tried new USB cabe, different USB ports, seems to work, then stops, I have to switch off the 18i20 and switch on again to reset things, reboot windows when no BSOD, cant fathom whether its the hardware at fault.
:bang: :bang: :bang: :-x :-x

First ensure that the audio interface is connected directly to the computer and not through any USB hubs, whether they are powered or not.

Do not continually add or remove the USB lead for the audio interface whilst running your computer.

Update the firmware of your interface to the most recent and stable version. ( See links below )

Follow this guide for fixing any problems with midi devices not being available vie the registry.

Enlarge Image

For more information that might help:

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... te-Control

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... -Detected-
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Thanks intrancer, will try this later

@intrancer

have deleted the upper limit
for the midi

already have the latest drivers and control centre and firmware..

no crashes yet :pray:

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hey all,

First post on this site, but wanted to contribute to the thread for the greater good. I'm having this same issue with a Scarlett 2i2, 3rd Gen.

I recently had to remove my stalwart Delta 44 soundcards from the studio machines. My setup (for voiceover) means long cable runs; the CPU's are located in an ajacent room. The real bonus in the changeover was the reduction in passive cable resistance, which translated to less I/O gain and therefore, a lower noise floor.

Now, I have two long (active) USB cable runs, connecting to two hubs for USB access for two machines. Each run a 2i2 off the hub, along with keyboard/mouse dongles. Let's just say each four port hub is crowded.

Well, after install....talk about your BSOD's on the DAW machine, which I use primarily for audio editing. Intermittant, mostly a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION - the error caused by the ntoskrnl.exe driver, which is the mother of all OS drivers for Windows. This is a great article on that specific error, FYI:

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/fix ... in-windows (https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/fix-system-service-exception-error-in-windows)

I first thought the BSOD was power related, because the BSOD errors were random, the PS was old and the behavior of the machine was pointing to that. I foolishly ignored the fact that I just changed gear.

I swapped out the power supply (I always have a spare). The unit worked great for about 6 days before crashing again.

That, led me to this forum post.

I found it interesting that the change to a new power supply bought me a modicum of stablility. So....follow the power. Hubs use a lot of juice on a single port. Toss in a tech variable (USB 3.0 vs 2.0) on an old power supply and start clenching.

I'm going to run a dedicated active USB cable for the Focusrite for each machine, plugged into a USB 2.0 port.

I'm thinking the I/O data from the Scarlett needs a bigger, stable pipe to the mobo via USB 2.0.

Regardless......I think the Focusrite drivers are pretty good, because I've setup many a talent with that same gear on many computers with no problems. It's the DAW hardware and I/O that causes issues.

I can never forget that every computer has a different configuration, software, hardware.....blah, blah, blah.

I'll update if I have more issues. If I don't post any further, consider the matter resolved.

Best of luck to folks having a similar issue.

This is the main reason why I don't use Focusrite on Windows. Had too many problems in the past 4-5 years. Now that I use PreSonus and their drivers are awesome, not a single problem yet. I can advise you to do the same. I never recommend Focusrite to people using W10 anymore.

Thanks for the input....if I have any further issues with the unit, I will consider Presonus. Can I ask what unit you're using?

Swapping out the cables, I noticed that I had a 3ft passive USB extension cable feeding the hub from the end of the active USB cable. It must have been there for some other reason and I totally forgot it was there. Cable madness.

Crashed twice on me yesterday while doing editing, second one corrupted the audio software. What a mess. I sure hope I don't have any more issues.

OK....

"And on the 7th day..."

So, after 7 days of continuous use the unit crashed again. I lost about 10 minutes of narration. I'm finding that Audition is really suffering for the BSOD. Sometimes it loses custom keyboard shortcuts and settings. In this instance, recovery files in the Temp folder.

I should mention here that I have another drive/OS on the system - I can boot into either Windows 7 or Windows 10. During a testing period about two weeks ago Windows 7 had a similar crash, so that got me looking more closely at hardware issues.

So, I'm left to wonder if it's either the Focusrite 2i2, drivers, the motherboard or something connected to the machine, like a faulty active USB cable. It is the oldest machine I have running. I don't think it's hard-drive related - that would be a more obvious error message and I'd get CHKDSK coming up, etc.

I ordered a Presonus USB interface (Studio 24C) to eliminate the Focusrite for now. If I get another crash, then I think I'm looking at the MoBo. It's an Asus H87M-Plus (2013) running a Intel G3420 dual core LG1150 @ 3.2 GHZ.

I have seen crashes like this from processors overheating due to dust build up - but I keep mine clean as a whistle.

After swapping out the Focusrite for the Presonus unit, I am no longer experiencing any BSOD's.

I'm actually running two Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (3rd Gen) units; I'm not having any issues on the other machine (admin) which I use for directed sessions (Zoom, MS Teams, etc) as I'm a pro voice talent. It should be noted that I would experience the blue screens while in the middle of extensive editing sessions (working the CPU hard) on my DAW.

So....I'm sending the one unit back to Focusrite - I suspect that it's a hardware issue with the unit and not drivers (I never got any BSOD "driver" errors, only SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION).

I did notice that as soon as I swapped out the 2i2 for the Presonus, everything ran much smoother. Playback was excellent and I wasn't getting the ticks, clicks and hiccups that I experienced with the 2i2.

Thank you Fornicras for your advice in that regard.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”