Is it safe to buy Logic Pro X today?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've tried Logic, Cubase 10, and Reaper. Logic is the only one still on my computer. I find Logic amazing, cost-notwithstanding, it would likely be my go-to even if it weren't used as a loss-leader for Apple. I paid €179 in 2013. Free updates since then, including some spectacular ones like free Alchemy! and this is only the 2nd machine to use it in 8 years. To me, it's a no-brainer.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

To be honest, if I didn't follow the KVR and find out about Bitwig, I would be still using Logic and sincerely now at this version would be more than happy, clip launching, sampling revamped and etc. I love that DAW, so much tears, sweat, laughter, joy, pain and etc, it's like an old friend, will always have special place in my world.

From someone who upgraded my copy of Creator/Notator to (Notator) Logic 1.x in about 1993... welcome all you newbies! What kept ya..? ;)

Is it really a loss leader, though? I'd bet good money that Apple generates a pretty good profit from Logic sales, maybe not so much in profit margin, but in volume. GarageBand (free) would be the loss leader, but that's probably partly/largely supported by Logic sales as well, since it's basically "Logic Lite"
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

They put in a lot of resources in coding and advertising. Not a single extra dime since 2013 from countless users? I find it hard to believe they’re making a ton of money on the program itself.

Logic is just another marketing expense, maybe not biggest one, but still it helps selling their hardware, same goes for FCP and others. They are masters of this game and nobody can take that from them, you can love them or hate them, they are on top of it.

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:18 pm Logic is just another marketing expense, maybe not biggest one, but still it helps selling their hardware, same goes for FCP and others. They are masters of this game and nobody can take that from them, you can love them or hate them, they are on top of it.
I just wish they didn't throw in the towel on Aperture. It was one of the few true Lightroom competitors.

Think most people wish they didn't bought out any company they did, but sadly they did.

Tronam wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:44 pm
Passing Bye wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:18 pm Logic is just another marketing expense, maybe not biggest one, but still it helps selling their hardware, same goes for FCP and others. They are masters of this game and nobody can take that from them, you can love them or hate them, they are on top of it.
I just wish they didn't throw in the towel on Aperture. It was one of the few true Lightroom competitors.
Been so long since I used Aperture! After Lightroom went subscription only and my existing version became too out of date, I switched to Capture One. I'm satisfied with it and I find the image quality slightly better than Lightroom.

masterhiggins wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:11 pm They put in a lot of resources in coding and advertising. Not a single extra dime since 2013 from countless users? I find it hard to believe they’re making a ton of money on the program itself.
All depends on how many new sales they have had in that time. Plus now, with low end models with the M1 being powerful enough to run Logic with headroom, there might be more people buying it.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:17 pm
masterhiggins wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:11 pm They put in a lot of resources in coding and advertising. Not a single extra dime since 2013 from countless users? I find it hard to believe they’re making a ton of money on the program itself.
All depends on how many new sales they have had in that time. Plus now, with low end models with the M1 being powerful enough to run Logic with headroom, there might be more people buying it.

When you buy a Mac you have the option of buying their pro-apps right on the same page. So Apple understands that people buy Macs for their pro apps and by making them fairly cheap and easy to install they do three things. Drive sales for Macs, drive users to the Mac AppStore, and drive updates of the latest version of macOS since their pro apps drop support for anything older than two versions. It's win win for Apple.

They lose nothing by not charging more for their pro apps and the cost of development is basically pocket change. They also benefit because the pro apps share a codebase with their free alternatives (Garageband, iMovie etc).
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

beely wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:35 pm From someone who upgraded my copy of Creator/Notator to (Notator) Logic 1.x in about 1993... welcome all you newbies! What kept ya..? ;)
:lol: ...i, for one, began a few times later with notator logic 2.x

A lot of people buying new M1 Macs are current Logic users. I was using Intel until March when I bought a new M1 Mac Mini. I just moved everything over to the new system. No new Logic purchase.

Tronam wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:44 pm I just wish they didn't throw in the towel on Aperture. It was one of the few true Lightroom competitors.
gawd damn am i still salty about this. I just switched from Lightroom to DxO PhotoLab or whatever because I couldn't stand Lightroom's workflow. I miss Aperture :(

Love Logic tho. I got Bitwig last month but haven't had time to try to wrap my head around it.

masterhiggins wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:54 pm
A lot of people buying new M1 Macs are current Logic users. I was using Intel until March when I bought a new M1 Mac Mini. I just moved everything over to the new system. No new Logic purchase.
Of course we are speculating and none of us know any actual facts or data. As such, you are free to have a different speculation than me :hihi:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”