24 Synth Supersaw Comparison

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dvnation wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:34 pm So anyway, in my opinion, HIVE is the closest we’ll get to that complete JP supersaw sound in software until Roland release their version.
How about Kontakt?
JP-8080 supersaw sounds recreated in Kontakt:
https://soundcloud.com/user-533108332-4 ... in-kontakt

I think those Kontakt patches are pretty close to JP-8080 sounds in "SUPERSAW CHALLENGE: U-he's HIVE vs Roland's JP-8080" video.

No samples were used in the Kontakt patches. All sounds are based on Kontakt's basic saw wavetable.
Recorded straight from Kontakt without any external effects.

Please feel free to comment if you can hear some difference to JP-8080 hardware sound.
I don't have the hardware or access to settings used in the original JP-8080 patches, so I might have missed something.

Cinebient wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:55 pm My favourite supersaw synth was not included here. (Sunrizer). Just saying...:)
I wonder why they stopped making the PC version? Also when you click the link to buy it or download the demo version (I just wanted to see if any other info appears) nothing happens.
https://www.beepstreet.com/plugins/sunrizer#

Anyone willing to take a shot at comparing my Kontakt supersaw sounds, posted above, to Roland JP-8080 hardware?
Can you hear any difference?
You can compare the Kontakt sounds to the sound "B" (JP-8080) on this supersaw challenge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NseIER4hiyE

In the Kontakt JP-8080 recreation in Soundcloud you can download the original uncompressed wav file for best audio quality.

Here are some details about modeling Roland JP-8080 supersaw in Kontakt.

Basic saw wavetable (Square-Saw I.wav with position at 100) in 7 groups form the basis of supersaw. Detune (pitch) and Mix (volume) is controlled by '6 MIDI controllers' factory script with some minor modifications. Nonlinear Detune adjustment is modeled using custom modulation shaper curve.

Wavetables use Lo-Fi quality setting to get the aliasing like in JP-8080. The aliasing noise below fundamental frequency needs to be filtered using keytracked high-pass filter. The 'SV HP4' filter does the trick using cutoff at 359.1 Hz and resonance at 23.8 %. The result is very accurate modeling of JP-8080 supersaw waveshape.

The wavetable Phase is set to 50.0 and Phase Rand to about 56, same on all 7 saws. Those settings will produce right amout of punchiness to the attack and still random enough to reduce phasing.

JP-8080 polyphony (up to 10 voices) is modeled by using a Kontakt voicegroup with Voices set to 70.

The low-pass filter of JP-8080 is modeled using two Kontakt filters in series. The 'Versatile 3x2' filter works as the main filter with cutoff and resonance adjustment. Following that is 'Ladder LP4' in 'High Quality' mode. The ladder filter uses fixed settings: cutoff at 19.9 kHz, reso at 10%, gain at 5.0 dB. It provides high frequency boost and steep rolloff close to 20 kHz that would be missing if using only 'Versatile 3x2' filter.
Filter keytracking is modeled using custom modulation shaper curve to get max 200% keytracking with pivot point at C4.

Amplitude and filter envelopes are modeled using flexible envelopes to get close to JP-8080 envelope shapes. The infamous clicking noises of the JP-8080 are modeled using an additional 'Versatile 3x2' filter and AHDSR envelope controlling cutoff with fast attack and release. So, the clicking noises can be enabled or disabled if desired, and the noise characteristics can be adjusted by controlling the envelope and filter settings.

In Kontakt's effect section the JP-8080 tone controls are modeled using 'EQ 1' and 'SGEQ'. Choral in Dimension mode provides the chorus and Replika is used for delay. The chorus and delay effects are not needed to reproduce the sounds in the 'SUPERSAW CHALLENGE: U-he's HIVE vs Roland's JP-8080' video, but by comparing to Synthmania's JP-8000 video I found the Choral and Replika to be pretty close to JP-8000 chorus and delay. In some JP-8000/JP-8080 videos I found the sound to be quite saturated, in some cases even distorted. Maybe the saturation comes from some other gear, like too high levels on mixer, or maybe it's internal saturation in JP-8000/JP-8080, I don't know. Anyway, if you like that sound you can get similar sound in Kontakt using Saturation effect in enhanced mode.

Hey NewLoops, are you aware all your website URLs redirect to KVR?

pierb wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:11 pm Hey NewLoops, are you aware all your website URLs redirect to KVR?
Hi, yes, sorry about that. As a shop, newloops.com is not available in all territories and some countries are directed to KVR Marketplace which is a trusted parter for New Loops products. Unfortunately, there's no way to separate the shop side from the other pages. :(

Biome_Digital wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:35 pm Hi, yes, sorry about that. As a shop, newloops.com is not available in all territories and some countries are directed to KVR Marketplace which is a trusted parter for New Loops products. Unfortunately, there's no way to separate the shop side from the other pages. :(
If you're doing the redirect with JavaScript it should be super easy to fix!

bluesawsq wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:10 pm Anyone willing to take a shot at comparing my Kontakt supersaw sounds, posted above, to Roland JP-8080 hardware?
You can compare the Kontakt sounds to the sound "B" (JP-8080) on this supersaw challenge:
How do you know that JP8080 is "B"?
B sounds like shit imo, A is much better.
yours is bit better than B but not as good as A

Ploki wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:18 pm
bluesawsq wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:10 pm Anyone willing to take a shot at comparing my Kontakt supersaw sounds, posted above, to Roland JP-8080 hardware?
How do you know that JP8080 is "B"?
The guy who made that comparison resolved that B is the JP-8k.

chk071 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:20 pm

The guy who made that comparison resolved that B is the JP-8k.
Ah ok, i didn't find it in YT comments.

Funny how Hive sounds more "hardware like" than JP8K. :ud:
the snappiness of the envelopes in hive is what does it for me, and i prefer high end of Hive. Actual saw sound is pretty similar

He resolved it in a thread here once. I forgot which one. Might even be in here somewhere. Edit: Here is: viewtopic.php?p=8218523#p8218523

As for "more hardware like", Hive has a snappier attack, and it might also sound more bright. I love the JP-8k for such sounds though. It's still one of the best for those. Not sure about Hive. It always sounded too much "in your face" for me, like most of the other u-he synths as well. Dunno, they have a character which doesn't quite please me. They're great synths, but, Urs simply seems to have a taste which is different to mine.

Yeah i think you're on to something. Zebra imo has the least character. But I love that u-he character and then i have issues with many other synths because i'm so used to what u-he synths do. :D

Ploki wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:18 pm yours is bit better than B but not as good as A
Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!
Would you elaborate?
Any particular patch or time point where you hear a difference between Kontakt and JP-8080?
Can you describe the difference in objective terms?

bluesawsq wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:48 pm
Ploki wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:18 pm yours is bit better than B but not as good as A
Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!
Would you elaborate?
Any particular patch or time point where you hear a difference between Kontakt and JP-8080?
Can you describe the difference in objective terms?
i'd need to download the original files of the JP8080 but in short:
- attacks with kontakt are sharper, with JP8080 they're dispersed a bit. (they're the sharpest with Hive)
- the sound in general is brighter with JP8080 and sounds grainy on the top end, there's more "fizz" in high mids. Kontakt sounds like it's more open towards extreme highs. Hive has more "body" than both
- it sounds like there's more movement/interaction between harmonics of the saw in both Hive and JP8080, but kontakt sounds bit more static.

nothing is drastically different, envelopes aside you could probably do a lot with a simple EQ and i'd be hardpressed to pick it out in a mix (except hive and it's snappy attacks which i like and are pretty obvious)

Return to “Instruments”