Whats The Best Value All In One Daw Solution Today ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Effectsworks wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:41 pm Regarding DAW instruments I think Ableton and Logic's are pretty solid. Alchemy is a beast.
The new Logic Sampler is excellent... so is Drum Machine Designer. ANd if you like physical modeling, Sculpture is worth the cost of Logic by itself.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:02 pm
Effectsworks wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:41 pm Regarding DAW instruments I think Ableton and Logic's are pretty solid. Alchemy is a beast.
The new Logic Sampler is excellent... so is Drum Machine Designer. ANd if you like physical modeling, Sculpture is worth the cost of Logic by itself.
Nice... It's been a few years since I used Logic. So I'm a bit out of touch. Again, it's a very good DAW.

Ableton is very expensive though. I haven't bothered to upgrade to Live 11, because Logic has the live mode now.

echosystm wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:05 am
Ableton is very expensive though. I haven't bothered to upgrade to Live 11, because Logic has the live mode now.
It is in fairness. I love it as a DAW though. But I think Logic overall is probably the best bang for the buck. :)

Logic. I paid €179 for it in 2013, and not a Pfennig more since. This is only the 2nd computer in that time that has been needed to run it, and to be fair, my Intel iMac could still handle it, but I'm selling that. So, the notion that I've overspent on hardware to get Logic doesn't hold, really. I'd be using Macs anyway.
I would expect that all of the money I've saved on updates/upgrades over the years paid for a good chunk of my new M1 mini.
The fx are excellent, as are some of the instruments. If you know what you are doing, you can make great music in the box. It works smoothly and efficiently on the new chip, loading time for my native ARM template is about 3 seconds. Best experience I've had with Logic since I started using Logic 7 Express in 2007. I've tried Reaper (not my thing) and Cubase 10, neither of which convinced me to move away from Logic.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Logic has the best sounds and instruments that come bundled with it. but its editing falls way behind DAWs like Cubase or Reaper
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

I'm quite old school in my approach. If something needs too much editing or massaging, I just do it over. I've never failed to make an edit to my satisfaction when I chose to.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:21 pm I'm quite old school in my approach. If something needs too much editing or massaging, I just do it over. I've never failed to make an edit to my satisfaction when I chose to.
I have a song with literal thousands of takes, many have hundreds...it's not really about finishing it, if it were I would set up multi point autopunch...I'm just playing and recording everything because who knows I might one day not be able to play and then I'll have gigs and gigs of guitar samples and loops, royalty free :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Bombadil wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:21 pm I'm quite old school in my approach. If something needs too much editing or massaging, I just do it over. I've never failed to make an edit to my satisfaction when I chose to.
add more fuzz, then more delay
if that doesn't work, mix it down, then "cover it in beansssssss" so to speak!

Effectsworks wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:04 am It is in fairness. I love it as a DAW though. But I think Logic overall is probably the best bang for the buck. :)
Considering it's not multi-platform and the cost of buying a Mac, Logic isn't.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Not my circus, not my monkeys…
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Regarding DAW instruments I think Ableton and Logic's are pretty solid
I always thought Live's onboard synths and effects are somewhat cheap. So are the sample libraries. If you're expecting something to match the top VSTs, Live doesn't deliver these.

The entire philosophy of Live is completely different.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:01 pm
Regarding DAW instruments I think Ableton and Logic's are pretty solid
I always thought Live's onboard synths and effects are somewhat cheap. So are the sample libraries. If you're expecting something to match the top VSTs, Live doesn't deliver these.

The entire philosophy of Live is completely different.
Really?! I think the opposite! That Live's instruments and effects from the best out there!

Operator is from the best 4 ops FM synth I have heard and the other physical modal synths are really great (but way underrated). Wavetable is an excellent synth and really I don't need any effect while in Live. The contents and samples are also great.

Anyway, for me the best value DAW is the one you use most ;) In my case it's Cubase because I used it many years and produced all my music with it (except one or two with Bitwig and Studio One). The cost is not relative to the money spent on it, but the time spent enjoying your hobby or producing professionally.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:21 pm
Effectsworks wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:04 am It is in fairness. I love it as a DAW though. But I think Logic overall is probably the best bang for the buck. :)
Considering it's not multi-platform and the cost of buying a Mac, Logic isn't.
Yeah, but not many people buy macs just for Logic these days. And if you're on a mac then it's great value.

Of course 'value' is relative. I mean, Nuendo is far better value than Logic for me personally, despite it's large price tag. I can't use Logic for Audio Post work.

EnGee wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:15 pm Operator is from the best 4 ops FM synth I have heard and the other physical modal synths are really great (but way underrated). Wavetable is an excellent synth and really I don't need any effect while in Live. The contents and samples are also great.
Yep, Operator is amazing.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”