Cubase Pro 11 How to pan mono track hard left or right There are no pan controls on mono tracks?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I am working on a session for a friend who is also a client.
On a real board this is pretty standard stuff but for the life of me Cubase will not allow to do this.

I have 4 mono guitar tracks,
track 1 - guitar
track 2 - guitar (copy of track 1)
track 3 - guitar (played 1 octive lower than track 1)
track 4 - guitar (copy of track 3)

I need to pan Track 1 & 3 hard left and 2 & 4 hard right and these then go into a stereo gtr buss for processing.

Yesterday...
All 4 tracks are mono Wav files imported into cubase as mono audio tracks.
When first imported cubase showed the panners and I was able to set the pans.
I then selected all 4 and added a Group channel on the selected channels and again, I was able to set the group channels pan L & R.
I saved the session.

Today I have just opened it and there are no panning controls showing in the Gtr channels or Group channel.

I have been googleing for the last hour or so and I am unable to find an answer.

the panning of mono channels L & R is on every hardware desk I have ever used so whats up with Cubase?

Are the tracks still panned after re-opening the session? Is it possible the pan controls are hidden? (I don't know about Cubase, but Live has that option). Perhaps you have bypassed the panning? https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro/v10.5 ... ass_c.html

Is the group channel you sent these tracks to mono or stereo?

Broken wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:08 pm Is the group channel you sent these tracks to mono or stereo?
He says it's a stereo buss but probably it is a mono by mistake. I have made that mistake a few times.

Yes, probably be a mono group. Pan has always been there when sending mono tracks to a stereo group for me.

Making a mono group the output of a mono channel disappears the pan control for the origin; the group should show the pan control (simple balance control really). L-R is meaningless to the mono group channel until it is routed to a stereo output.

event2020 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:34 pm I have 4 mono guitar tracks,
track 1 - guitar

I need to pan Track 1 & 3 hard left and 2 & 4 hard right and these then go into a stereo gtr buss for processing.
Stupid question perhaps, but isn't panning two otherwise identical tracks hard left and hard right respectively the same as just increasing the volume of single mono track?

"Mono" is by definition playing the same thing on both left & right speakers.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

It is, but certain signals appear as though panned eg., Hard Left, that is when a mono recording is made onto a stereo channel. The pan mode on a mono signal in a stereo channel is not a real panner, it's a balance control (meaning the volume is turned down on the other side). Real, ie., 'power' panning (ie., in respect to pan law), is only a property of stereo channels.
So a straight guitar input, is mono - ie., the tip of the jack defaults to L to a stereo in - and insofar as this the DAW will print 'Hard Left'.
So if it's a new recording, just record the mono guitar input to a mono channel obviating this issue.
If it's a done deal and we're stuck w. a mono signal in a stereo channel w. signal being all on the left, a copy is made to compensate, @ "hard right".
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

another reason is to do artificial double-tracking and do some sum-and-difference (via delay) to get pseudostereo

event2020 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:34 pm So I am working on a session for a friend who is also a client.
On a real board this is pretty standard stuff but for the life of me Cubase will not allow to do this.

track 1 - guitar

Yesterday...
All 4 tracks are mono Wav files imported into cubase as mono audio tracks.

.../...

the panning of mono channels L & R is on every hardware desk I have ever used so whats up with Cubase?
Are you sure you created Mono Tracks with Stereo Outputs?
Cubase Mono Track.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fernando (FMR)

jancivil wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:59 amIt is...
That's what I wanted to know. Thanks! :tu:

I understand that sometimes a mono signal can be recorded only to left or right track of stereo track or that they'll start to differ when processed differently - that's obvious.

But so many times I've seen people advising others to duplicate a sound & pan them hard left & hard right to make them "phatter", then perhaps I though I might be missing something :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

jancivil wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:59 am It is, but certain signals appear as though panned eg., Hard Left, that is when a mono recording is made onto a stereo channel. The pan mode on a mono signal in a stereo channel is not a real panner, it's a balance control (meaning the volume is turned down on the other side). Real, ie., 'power' panning (ie., in respect to pan law), is only a property of stereo channels.
So a straight guitar input, is mono - ie., the tip of the jack defaults to L to a stereo in - and insofar as this the DAW will print 'Hard Left'.
So if it's a new recording, just record the mono guitar input to a mono channel obviating this issue.
If it's a done deal and we're stuck w. a mono signal in a stereo channel w. signal being all on the left, a copy is made to compensate, @ "hard right".
Cubase also allows us to change that with the other stereo panning option. Dual panner or something like that, not at my DAW now. But that allows controlling each side separately, we get a slider eqch for left and right, you can move the left over to the right (or vice versa) with this, not just lower the level of it.

event2020 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:34 pm So I am working on a session for a friend who is also a client.

track 1 - guitar
Without wanting to play Captain Obvious here, in Cubase mono tracks are really just mono and therefor in most cases are less than an ideal choice to begin with, as you can't achieve any stereo-processing on them directly.... (one could ask what's the point of mono-tracks anyway, historical reasons aside)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:42 pm

track 1 - guitar
Without wanting to play Captain Obvious here, in Cubase mono tracks are really just mono and therefor in most cases are less than an ideal choice to begin with, as you can't achieve any stereo-processing on them directly.... (one could ask what's the point of mono-tracks anyway, historical reasons aside)
I think that's why he copied each track to another track, and wants to pan them hard-right and hard-left. :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

Yes, I thought that might be the case, which is why I made that post.

One might assume that mono-tracks are the right choice for mono-sources and I wanted to make sure it is understood that this is not actually the case.
(As I said I have no real clue what mono-tracks are actually good for. I can't see what potential advantage they might offer, and in which situation. (I understand that at some point in the past they may have saved precious CPU cycles.))
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”