Plogue OPS7 (bit-accurate DX7 emulation!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
chipsynth OPS7

The morph idea of Fm8 was cool, but they missed to develop it further. FM8 I do not use much these days. Algoritm on the other hand can produce great brass sounds, but is weak on violins etc.
artie fichelle sounds natural

A bit off-topic here, but I wish more synths with that feature to morph between sounds. A few others with it are Sunrizer, Alchemy and Minimonsta (v1), probably a few others too.

kmonkey wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:08 am Or the cool "Morph" capabilities of FM8
fm8.jpg
Pretty sure F’em has that, and Opsix has a global attack/decay parameter for the operators.

perpetual3 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:51 pm
fm8.jpg
Pretty sure F’em has that, and Opsix has a global attack/decay parameter for the operators.
Excuse me where is global envelope (attack decay) in Ops7 (you said Opsix - was this your typo or you are referring to a different product? )? Manual does not contain any reference to global attack or decay value.

kmonkey wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:31 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:51 pm
fm8.jpg
Excuse me where is global envelope (attack decay) in Ops7 (you said Opsix - was this your typo or you are referring to a different product? )? Manual does not contain any reference to global attack or decay value.
There isn’t one, just as on the DX7. You have to use the other controls. Some are like attack and decay. I forget but you can find someone mentioning which are which in this thread or on GS.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:27 pm There isn’t one, just as on the DX7. You have to use the other controls. Some are like attack and decay. I forget but you can find someone mentioning which are which in this thread or on GS.
Look I know very well that on the DX7 there isn't one. And I know what equivalents of an ADSR are on OPS7 operators.

I am not asking the developer to ruin DX7's authenticity in OPS7 nor am I asking it to do anything anyway.

I posted screenshots earlier proposing the idea of OPS7 having macro controls that would organize such options as ADSR into one neat interface, like FM8 and ALGORITM. I posted this after other people repeatedly asked where's and ADSR etc.

Look at my screenshots. That could greatly enhance workflow and speed up the process for newcomers to FM synthesis. In fact, that is probably the reason why other vendors decided to include such macro controls in their DX7 recreations.

Pretty much any new FM synth has such controls. Even Arturia DX7 has something similar.

And then another user responded telling me that what I am asking/proposing is already possible in OPS7.

I asked where. Then you came telling me there isn't one because the original does not have one. Smart. Seems like both of you do not have a clue and are just bragging to post something,

Well, the original also does not have at least 58 options and features which are available at OPS7. That can tell me that developer is perhaps keen to think about other features.

Just go away if you don't want to contribute. Stop selling your brain because we already know everything about the DX7 and we are not buying. This isn't about that. Bye.

No typo I said Opsix.
kmonkey wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:22 am
vitocorleone123 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:27 pm There isn’t one, just as on the DX7. You have to use the other controls. Some are like attack and decay. I forget but you can find someone mentioning which are which in this thread or on GS.
Look I know very well that on the DX7 there isn't one. And I know what equivalents of an ADSR are on OPS7 operators.

I am not asking the developer to ruin DX7's authenticity in OPS7 nor am I asking it to do anything anyway.

I posted screenshots earlier proposing the idea of OPS7 having macro controls that would organize such options as ADSR into one neat interface, like FM8 and ALGORITM. I posted this after other people repeatedly asked where's and ADSR etc.

Look at my screenshots. That could greatly enhance workflow and speed up the process for newcomers to FM synthesis. In fact, that is probably the reason why other vendors decided to include such macro controls in their DX7 recreations.

Pretty much any new FM synth has such controls. Even Arturia DX7 has something similar.

And then another user responded telling me that what I am asking/proposing is already possible in OPS7.

I asked where. Then you came telling me there isn't one because the original does not have one. Smart. Seems like both of you do not have a clue and are just bragging to post something,

Well, the original also does not have at least 58 options and features which are available at OPS7. That can tell me that developer is perhaps keen to think about other features.

Just go away if you don't want to contribute. Stop selling your brain because we already know everything about the DX7 and we are not buying. This isn't about that. Bye.

kmonkey wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:22 am

Ungrateful. Someone tries to help - even if they get it wrong - doesn’t mean you throw in their face. What an ass. I know I won’t try to help you ever again. This is about that. Bye.

For simple adsr control
Rate 1 = Attack stage
Level 1 = leave at max ( fully clockwise )and don’t ever touch it again
Rate 2/Level 2 :same as level 1
Rate 3: this is your Decay stage
Level 3 :this is your Sustain Level
Rate 4 :this is your release stage
Level 4 :keep at minimum and never touch it again
Memorise all of the above and move on
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:16 pm For simple adsr control
Rate 1 = Attack stage
Level 1 = leave at max ( fully clockwise )and don’t ever touch it again
Rate 2/Level 2 :same as level 1
Rate 3: this is your Decay stage
Level 3 :this is your Sustain Level
Rate 4 :this is your release stage
Level 4 :keep at minimum and never touch it again
Memorise all of the above and move on
^^This, + I'd add to it: always remember that Rate gets _slower_ as you move the knob to the _left_, and faster to the right; which is of course the opposite of most synths (because most are Time values, not Rate).

Now I remember why I didn't gel with the UI: I have muscle memory ingrained and I got annoyed by both the envelopes directions (same with dexed) and some dropdowns not supporting at least the mouse wheel, probably also the arrows, so there was some unneeded clicking around. With F'em I didn't gel either for other UI reasons I don't remember, so FM8 is still the best FM UI I know.

OPS7 is unquestionably the best emulator of DX7 Mark I. The emulation of DX7 II or better still of TX802 (multitimbral with 8 parts) would be fantastic. Is this software included in the roadmap? would be a dream 🥴

Arturia‘s DX V would fill that bill, or even the free Dexed…

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:15 pm Arturia‘s DX V would fill that bill, or even the free Dexed…
Dexed misses the ball in certain areas .
Carrier output volume is dependent on algo (more carriers results in less louder output per carrier ) , dexed totally ignores this .
Just nitpicking .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I adjust sounds by ear, a difference in volume is the easiest to fix… I guess Dexed does that to avoid clipping…

Return to “Instruments”