Reason price hike starting October 1st

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bets are open how long it will take that they realize that it will put their revenue downwards and they loose customers. They will need to setup mega sales with end prizes lower than recent sales to turn it around. But new customers will see much bigger savings if they jump on a sale…
But maybe that is the plan behind it. Sell something with 75% off, though they never sell even one copy for the „full price“…

SLiC wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:14 pm as an upgrade from the free intro
Lite was free, Intro was not (79,00). And strangely enough you have to pay the same for the upgrade.

Lotuz2019 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:28 pm
SLiC wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:14 pm as an upgrade from the free intro
Lite was free, Intro was not (79,00). And strangely enough you have to pay the same for the upgrade.
I cant remember which one it was but I get if free with a purchase rom plugin boutique and it had the reason rack included- it know was a ridiculous cheap upgrade with 40% off and R12 free...no brainer. I like Reason a lot, but I wouldn't t have bought it for what they will now be asking for it...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

They have lost their marbles if they think they can charge more in this market. There is a lot of competition and I don't think Reason has been competitive in a long time. This seems like a decision made to make the subscription seem like a better deal. Well I guess I've bought my last version of Reason with version 11.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

They've discontinued the Intro edition, Added rental payment option, and now are hiking the price of the perpetual license. It will be interesting to see if it works out for them long term.

Dang. I kind of want to get Reason for the Rack plugin to use in Studio One, but $399 was pushing it. $499 is a no go for sure.

Maybe some day they'll offer a lower cost version that is just the Rack plugin.

I really hope Reason Studios listen to all the complaints. They are not coming out of thin air. This update is embarrassing. They are trying to hype basic development best practices as new features. This and the Reason Compact debacle on iOS has really made me question the decision making. I hope they find their way again as they have a rich history in music production.

Just one opinion but, like I say, I hope they are taking note of the concerns.

After 20+ years of using Reason and Rebirth 338 before that and paying yearly fees for updates, I have switched to subscription now.
It always bothered me that the upgrade price was the same for users of version 1 to version X, as it was for users upgrading every year.
Love the new subscription model and hope more developers will jump on subscription bandwagon.

Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:48 am...It always bothered me that the upgrade price was the same for users of version 1 to version X, as it was for users upgrading every year. Love the new subscription model and hope more developers will jump on subscription bandwagon.
You're a pretty unreasonable person. I assume you're aware of it?

:hihi: :hug:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:59 am
Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:48 am...It always bothered me that the upgrade price was the same for users of version 1 to version X, as it was for users upgrading every year. Love the new subscription model and hope more developers will jump on subscription bandwagon.
You're a pretty unreasonable person. I assume you're aware of it?

:hihi: :hug:
Really?
Let me explain if you don’t get it…
I have Reason version 1 and don’t update it for several years. Reason version 11 is released and now I’m able to buy upgrade for $99.
Scenario number 2 - I have Reason version 1 and keep buying upgrades every year at $99
10x11 = $1100
As Reason 1 owner I spent only $99 for the same update to version 11.
Is that fair upgrade scheme? How am I unreasonable?

Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:48 am After 20+ years of using Reason and Rebirth 338 before that and paying yearly fees for updates, I have switched to subscription now.
It always bothered me that the upgrade price was the same for users of version 1 to version X, as it was for users upgrading every year.
Love the new subscription model and hope more developers will jump on subscription bandwagon.
I see the rental costs 20 USD a month. Thats 240 USD a year. Were you paying more than that with the yearly upgrade fee?

Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:08 pm Really?
Let me explain if you don’t get it…
I have Reason version 1 and don’t update it for several years. Reason version 11 is released and now I’m able to buy upgrade for $99.
Scenario number 2 - I have Reason version 1 and keep buying upgrades every year at $99
10x11 = $1100
As Reason 1 owner I spent only $99 for the same update to version 11.
Is that fair upgrade scheme? How am I unreasonable?
Easy. Someone who bought Reason v1 in 2000 and upgraded to v11 in 2020 has been using the same feature set for 20 years. You paid for upgrade every 1-2 years to be able to use new features & devices. And even from the developer point of view - do you really think Propellerhead should charge new users for every feature & device added since v1? That labor has long been ammortised and paid for.
Music tech enthusiast

VitaminD wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:13 pmI see the rental costs 20 USD a month. Thats 240 USD a year. Were you paying more than that with the yearly upgrade fee?
Notice that R+ also includes all REs ever released by Props/RS and every one they will release during the time you're subscribing ( + the soundpacks, obviously).

I'm not saying it's a great deal, but it's much more than just new Reason version.
Music tech enthusiast

VitaminD wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:13 pm
Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:48 am After 20+ years of using Reason and Rebirth 338 before that and paying yearly fees for updates, I have switched to subscription now.
I see the rental costs 20 USD a month. Thats 240 USD a year. Were you paying more than that with the yearly upgrade fee?
That’s not the point- See my most above 😉
Btw; Yes I’m happy to be subscription user of Reason now. I’m also happy as subscription user of Roland and Protools.
Bottom line is that subscription model for software purchases works for me brilliantly, but it doesn’t mean it will work for you or anyone else 😉
Last edited by Atlatnesiti on Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:29 pm
VitaminD wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:13 pm
That’s not the point- See my most above 😉
Btw; Yes I’m happy to be subscription user of Reason now. I’m also happy as subscription user of Roland and Protools
I'm not arguing you, I'm just trying to understand the math.

240 x 11 = 2640 had you subbed those 11 years instead of paying 100 dollars to upgrade each year, which would be 1100 USD. So you're paying twice now it seems?

Now everyone pays 240 USD per year to upgrade (if they are on the subscription), which is half the cost of the full version. So nothing really has changed from a discount standpoint between versions yes? Because now everyone subscribing is paying the same rate. Regardless if they were long term users of Reason or just discovered the software today.
Last edited by VitaminD on Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”