One Synth Challenge #152: WhispAir by Full Bucket Music (Aiynzahev Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
WhispAir

ELEX wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:53 pm
Yadrichik_Chaya wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:46 pm ...
Effects: Cymatics Origin, Initial Reverse, Expanse 3D, Brauer Motion, Soundshifter Pitch, Litbit, Replika, TR5 CSR Plate, BureauJuice, Quadravox, Raum, VST Bass Amp, TB Reelbus V4, Grand Finale, MaxxBass.
@Yadrichik_Chaya:
Possibly relevant - If SoundShifter Pitch is performing pitch/time effects, it is not allowed.

"Effects - what is NOT allowed:
Tapestops, Granular delays, pitching, or related sampling effects.
Effects that pitch the sound (e.g. pitched / granular delays, tapestops etc.
..."

full rules can be found here
@ELEX Many many thanks for letting me know! :) Thankfully I only used it on three instances, two bass drums (-12) and a percussion thing (-6). :D

Uploaded a new version, in my post above, without the pitched down bass drums and the percussive thing. :tu:
Fusion

briefcasemanx wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:52 pm There's a bass drum patch in the presets that only plays when you hit C2 on the midi controller, but I can't figure out how that's done on the synths UI. Seems tailor made for programming drums in OSC. How do I restrict midi notes like this on the UI?
There's a kick preset which indicates C2 in its name, but it plays for me at any key. I figured it was only indicating the intended key to play it at. Does it actually only play for you if you hit a C2?
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

Surely the ladies and gentleman wavetable isn't representing mangling single cycle waveforms rule is it? Isn't it playing the entire wavetable of someone saying that originally and still staying that?

hockinsk3 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:29 pm Isn't it playing the entire wavetable of someone saying that originally and still staying that?
Yes, it's me. And Audio Term of course. :hihi:

FrogsInPants wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:24 pm
briefcasemanx wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:52 pm There's a bass drum patch in the presets that only plays when you hit C2 on the midi controller, but I can't figure out how that's done on the synths UI. Seems tailor made for programming drums in OSC. How do I restrict midi notes like this on the UI?
There's a kick preset which indicates C2 in its name, but it plays for me at any key. I figured it was only indicating the intended key to play it at. Does it actually only play for you if you hit a C2?
whoops, youre right. I already had a midi filter in my session template that I forgot about that was filtering the other notes, lol.

FrogsInPants wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:24 pm
Sounds like Tracking is at 0 on the Filter section if you're not getting pitch change across notes maybe?

ELEX wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:44 pm
Aro wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:59 pm ... But I couldn't figure out a way to use created single cycle waveforms, such as AKWF, instead of just drawing my own. Is this possible?

Thanks!
AWKF tables are 2048 sample cycles and can be loaded directly in WhispAir.
Some are larger than 64 frames, however, meaning you can't access frames above the 64th.
But I can't seem to figure out how to make them morph like you can with audioterm.

Aro wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:00 pm ...
But I can't seem to figure out how to make them morph like you can with audioterm.
You can load single cycles in Audio-Term on the ASSEM<> page, and assign those ( SRC>DEST ) to selected table positions ( <<DEST>> .) Make sure the cycle files are in the proper location for Audio-Term to find them ( the single cylcles folder in Audio-Term/Data ; choose sinlge cycles as F_TYPE<> ) The TEF<> page offers the option to interpolate between the occupied positions ( IPOL<>).

Turns out I didn't have AWKF single cycles, only tables. Got a bit confused there.
Last edited by ELEX on Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ELEX wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:35 pm
Aro wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:00 pm ...
You can load single cycles in Audio-Term on the ASSEM<> page, and assign those ( SRC>DEST ) to selected table positions ( <<DEST>> .) Make sure the cycle files are in the proper location for Audio-Term to find them ( the single cylcles folder in Audio-Term/Data. ) The TEF<> page offers the option to interpolate between the occupied positions ( IPOL<>).

Turns out I didn't have AWKF single cycles, only tables. Got a bit confused there.
Thanks Elex! Perfect!

hockinsk3 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:29 pm Surely the ladies and gentleman wavetable isn't representing mangling single cycle waveforms rule is it? Isn't it playing the entire wavetable of someone saying that originally and still staying that?
For clarification: This particular wavetable comes with the synth and is therefore fair game!

The restrictions relating to samples are about imported samples, and are intended to prevent the situation where people could record an instrument, percussion, or vocal performance for example outside of the synth and then use it in their track (without really facing the challenge of how to synthesise that sound within the given synth). Allowing that would pretty much undermine the whole concept of OSC.
With wavetables this is a difficult line to draw and we hope to allow as much freedom for creativity as possible without compromising the above. I think we all want to be astounded by what people can achieve with the synth of the month!

Happy synthing! :hug:

We could agree to a general rule for any wavetable synth in the osc: Only factory wavetables are allowed. And if the synth has a wavetable editor, only drawn or calculated wavetables are allowed. Simply any import of wavetables could be banned. That would be an easy rule and not too much of a restriction either.
That would make it very easy to draw the line and also easy to verify…

The big red wavetable rule on page 1 just needs the word 'imported' placed before sample playback for those of us who read more explicitly. I thought the rule was actually so we didn't end up with every track with Ladies & Gentleman as much as not wanting playback engine competition haha!

Wavetables are allowed, but should not be used as [imported] sample playback engine i.e. to replicate recorded instruments or vocal phrases directly, but rather to synthesise, morph and mangle single cycle waveforms.

hockinsk3 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:18 am The big red wavetable rule on page 1 just needs the word 'imported' placed before sample playback for those of us who read more explicitly. I thought the rule was actually so we didn't end up with every track with Ladies & Gentleman as much as not wanting playback engine competition haha!

Wavetables are allowed, but should not be used as [imported] sample playback engine i.e. to replicate recorded instruments or vocal phrases directly, but rather to synthesise, morph and mangle single cycle waveforms.
I will try to get this amendment added as soon as possible :tu:
Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:30 am We could agree to a general rule for any wavetable synth in the osc: Only factory wavetables are allowed. And if the synth has a wavetable editor, only drawn or calculated wavetables are allowed. Simply any import of wavetables could be banned. That would be an easy rule and not too much of a restriction either.
That would make it very easy to draw the line and also easy to verify…
This would certainly be clearer, but more restrictive. I would like to get more opinions on this from the folks here. Perhaps we could have a vote?

I do understand the original intention of the OSC restriction. However, IMHO a wavetable synth with the possibility to import wavetables is obviously intended to actually use imported wavetables. :hihi:
So if someone comes up with a fantastic sound just by using a cunningly designed wavetable... why not? The synth enables you to do this.

Cheers, Björn

Full Bucket wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:01 am I do understand the original intention of the OSC restriction. However, IMHO a wavetable synth with the possibility to import wavetables is obviously intended to actually use imported wavetables. :hihi:
So if someone comes up with a fantastic sound just by using a cunningly designed wavetable... why not? The synth enables you to do this.

Cheers, Björn
This. It's in the DNA of the synth, but character and dna/technicallities are different...
Btw: WTs can be used as AM and FM sources as well... so cleverly crafted WTs might be cool for creating AM/FM based sounds as well.
I think you can even come up with the synth saying "Ant man" (sliced and diced from "ladies and gentleman") ... because modulating the WT position from with a DAW automation is allowed, right?

Return to “Instruments”