What happened to VSTplanet?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:11 am
Teksonik wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:02 pm So the evidence is out there
The evidence for what? All I see is that there was a domain name dispute, and that there was a transfer to Steinberg.
That's exactly the evidence that I'm referring to. Steinberg didn't have to go after VSTPLanet. What harm was that site doing? Steinberg's ego was bruised because *gasp* someone used "VST" without a disclaimer? Oh the horrors....
chk071 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:11 amObviously, VSTPlanet didn't use the VST trademark according to Steinberg's terms, and there was legal decision that they didn't do so, and the case was judged in Steinberg's favour.
That's the question,why would VSTPlanet simply not put the disclaimer on their site? It costs nothing and would keep Steinberg's lawyers at bay. We'll never know the real story.

Look I don't care one bit if VSTPLanet was taken down. It doesn't affect me at all but based on the past treatment I've personally gotten from Steinberg I have absolutely no love for them.

Aggressively protecting a simple trademark like "VST" just makes me have even less respect for them....end of story. Again what harm is done? What does Steinberg lose if some obscure website doesn't put up a disclaimer?

To me it's just corporate douche baggery and lawyers justifying their existence and nothing any sycophant says will change that opinion so we're done here. :arrow:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:01 pm
chk071 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:11 amObviously, VSTPlanet didn't use the VST trademark according to Steinberg's terms, and there was legal decision that they didn't do so, and the case was judged in Steinberg's favour.
That's the question,why would VSTPlanet simply not put the disclaimer on their site? It costs nothing and would keep Steinberg's lawyers at bay. We'll never know the real story.
They did, you can see it is there if you look in the wayback machine.

But, from the VST trademark usage guidelines:
7. Use in company name
It is not allowed to include VST in the company name.

9. Use in domain
It is allowed to use VST in domains, e.g. second level domains, if a junction is used to denote the compatibility, e.g. in “MycoolEngineForVST.com”, and if any page under such domain shows the VST Compatible logo and the domain only shows products using or created using the SDK.
So perhaps the fell afoul of one of these clauses. Maybe the company was actually named VSTPlanet, or maybe Steinberg argued that the way VSTPlanet used the term didn't denote compatibility.

My speculation is that the site was running almost on autopilot. When the legal challenge came in from Steinberg the choices were do a bunch of work or shut it down, and shut it down was just the easier option.

No idea why VSTBuzz still exists, however the do have deals selling Steinberg products, so I guess they have some sort of business relationship.

FigBug wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:44 pm No idea why VSTBuzz still exists, however the do have deals selling Steinberg products, so I guess they have some sort of business relationship.
The company behind VSTBuzz is called "Audio for Apps Ltd." so they are at least compliant with 7.

Return to “Instruments”