Best all round soft synth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hans Zimmer

Diva

Good question, because right now Babylon VST (W.A. Production)

If it had better filters I'd say Equator. Wavetable, FM, granular. best mpe design. Great feature set.

If it had granular mode on the sample oscs I'd maybe say ANA2. The FM is less flexible but great sound overall. Probably my favorite bread and butter for everything from classic analog to modern virus style wavetable sounds.
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uvi falcon does literally everything you could possibly want in a synth. Subtractive, analog, wavetable, additive, sampler, granular, physical modelling. Great FX, unlimited modulations and LFOs. Vintage vault and synthology are an amazing set of soundbanks, and you can leverage their samples to make your own sounds.

3xOSC

CrystalWizard wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:54 pm Hiya, new to kvr? I’d suggest using the search function for similar threads, im sure you will find hundreds. After reading them all you may realize that their is no such thing. Hopefully you have any softsynth and that’s the best one for now. After a few decades i woudn’t be able to tell anyone, including myself what is the best. Just the ones that suit me best (that day).
Spoken like a true audio research-ologist! :party:

I find Madrona Labs' Aalto endlessly fascinating...

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:06 am Basically you need to buy every synth. Sorry, I don’t make the rules, but if you want to have your bases covered, there’s no other recourse. :cop:
All your bases belong to us!

oh, and Neon. It may be old, but it's still the best money can buy.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Liquid lino wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:58 pm Uvi falcon does literally everything you could possibly want in a synth.
Somehow, I doubt this very much. :lol:

The main thing I see when I look at the webpage for Falcon is a vehicle for selling expansions and presets, and I find it pretty repulsive. Maybe there's a decent synth (or six) hiding behind all the capitalism, but.... meh.

I strongly prefer smaller, focused synths that have their own character, not something that just checks off a bunch of items on a feature list. Give me one great sounding filter that is well suited to the rest of the instrument's design, not a choice of 42 filter types where I can't make myself care about 39 of them.

foosnark wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:57 pm
Liquid lino wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:58 pm Uvi falcon does literally everything you could possibly want in a synth.
Somehow, I doubt this very much. :lol:

The main thing I see when I look at the webpage for Falcon is a vehicle for selling expansions and presets, and I find it pretty repulsive. Maybe there's a decent synth (or six) hiding behind all the capitalism, but.... meh.

I strongly prefer smaller, focused synths that have their own character, not something that just checks off a bunch of items on a feature list. Give me one great sounding filter that is well suited to the rest of the instrument's design, not a choice of 42 filter types where I can't make myself care about 39 of them.
+1

What I want in a synth, is for it not to be like Falcon. :hihi:

Seriously, I also prefer simpler focused synths that have both great sound, workflow and character. For example, Plasmonic is its own beautiful unique synth.

holy shit. What is it with new users starting these stupid f'in list threads?

psynical wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:39 pm holy shit. What is it with new users starting these stupid f'in list threads?
Thanks for sharing that peal of wisdom, from such an old timer. :lol:
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:03 pm
psynical wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:39 pm holy shit. What is it with new users starting these stupid f'in list threads?
Thanks for sharing that pearl of wisdom, from such an old timer. :lol:
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:03 pm
Thanks for sharing that peal of wisdom, from such an old timer. :lol:
Back in my day we didn't even have enough things to make a list. Our "what is the best synth" polls had "Fish" as the only selection.

foosnark wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:09 pm Our "what is the best synth" polls had "Fish" as the only selection.
Indeed... It was just Sylenth or Massive. ;)

Return to “Instruments”