Best all round soft synth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been looking at Hive strongly for this purpose. Despite not handling samples, the new filters give it an amazing range of sounds, including percussive and "almost" analog. If it doesn't do analog enough for me in a mix, I can always supplement with Diva.

I have both SM2 and Omnisphere, but their GUIs are a turnoff for me, but I can drag them out if I do need to process a sample.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Synthmaster 2

I’d love to get Dune, but can’t afford that kind of money.

DUNE 3.5

omni "sphere" :shrug:

syntonica wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:41 pm I've been looking at Hive strongly for this purpose. Despite not handling samples, the new filters give it an amazing range of sounds, including percussive and "almost" analog. If it doesn't do analog enough for me in a mix, I can always supplement with Diva.
Hive works great for this...

vurt wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:10 pm omni "sphere" :shrug:
It has square waves so that doesn't count!

The one you take time to learn and use the most.
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

BassMasterK wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:20 pm The one you take time to learn and use the most.
Hmmm... OnePingOnly then.

Zeta+

briefcasemanx wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:28 pm Zeta+
I so wished they would pick up on that concept, and make a more contemporary successor. The architecture and feature set are so great.

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

Pigments in every case. With it‘s sample and granular and since short time the additive engine the flexibility starts from the oscillators. Also filter and effect routing are outstanding.
It‘s for me the best compromise beetween flexibility and usability (Falcon & co are just no goto-synths for me).

Only backdraw: no phase offset for oscillators and some parameters in the Fx section are not able to get modulated (e.g. EQ-settings). But beside that, there are no wishes left open.

SamDi wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:06 pm Pigments in every case. With it‘s sample and granular and since short time the additive engine the flexibility starts from the oscillators. Also filter and effect routing are outstanding.
It‘s for me the best compromise beetween flexibility and usability (Falcon & co are just no goto-synths for me).

Only backdraw: no phase offset for oscillators and some parameters in the Fx section are not able to get modulated (e.g. EQ-settings). But beside that, there are no wishes left open.
Less CPU use would be my main wish... Pigments is really heavy on CPU

SamDi wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:06 pm Only backdraw: no phase offset for oscillators and some parameters in the Fx section are not able to get modulated (e.g. EQ-settings).
I asked someone at Arturia about phase settings a while back. I'm not sure if it helps with your wish for phase offset or not, but here's what they said:

Analog Oscillator : Unless the Drift parameter is exactly at 0, then the oscillator will use a random phase at each note.

Wavetable oscillator : In the Phase mod section, the Sync/Retrig option lets you choose how the oscillator gets retriggered. Either on each key, when the Mod Osc is reset (Hard Sync), reset based on the Coarse + Fine parameters (thus ignoring FM and PMeffect) and randomly generated on each new voice. There is no free running per-se, meaning with a constantly calculated phase, as we do not process voices when they are not in play, to save CPU.

Zebra.
Can do any sound you want, from classic additive to FM and physical modelling.

Return to “Instruments”