Strange CPU usage

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mulab behaves quite strange in terms of the CPU usage. I have a project with one VST plugin, whch is quite CPU - intensive. It takes about 120% as the acitivity monitor indicates. (It can be more than 100 %. Don't ask me why.) After saving, closing and reopening this project the CPU usage goes down to about 40%, although nothing has changed. Is there an explanation for this behavior?

What happens if you try the same without the third party VST plugin? If that's the issue, maybe ask the VST developer?

Without third - party - VST the CPU usage stays the same. I don't think that the VST developer can answer this question. My question was about how Mulab handles the CPU usage. Is there a kind of optimization, when a project is reloaded?

If it happens when the VST is there, it sounds like it's processing that the VST is doing on start up. See what happens if you start MuLab and then add the VST. The VST might have CPU-intensive tasks it wants to run once, for instance decompressing resources that are used during real time processing.

(Your computer has a chip that has one or more "cores". Each core is an independent CPU, with shared access to system resources, allowing more than one task to be processed at the same time. Cores may also have support for running more than one thread - i.e. process one thing and then process something else if the first thing blocks for some reason, like reading memory. CPU usage then can report more than 100% if you have more than one core and usage across all cores sums to more than that.)

Return to “MUTOOLS”