Feature Request: Velocity Layering for MuDrum

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Feature Request: Velocity Layering Added to MuDrum

This would enable many users to work exclusively in MuLab for beats instead of using a 3rd party VSTi drum machine. Velocity Layers can add much more realism and variety to drum strikes over the course of a pattern, helping to prevent a "machine gun" effect.

127: Kick Sample 01
117: Kick Sample 02
107: Kick Sample 03
97: Kick Sample 04
87: Kick Sample 05
77 . . . and so on.

That's possible:

MuDrum features 12 super flexible drum pads.
Each drum pad has 2 sample players, but on top / besides of that also a full MUX Modular patch.
So choose a drum pad, disable the 2 sample layers, insert a MUX and build the velocity switch there, for example using a Multi-Sampler module for the MuDrum pad key, setup the velocity layers in the Multi-Sampler.

If you want to go further it's even possible to build your own MuDrum-like MUX patch using the Drum Note Processor module and connect it to a common Multi-Sampler, or several (Multi-)Samplers, or other modules or MUX presets, or even use VST plugins for making the sound for a single drum pad.

Many options!

I believe the pad can also trigger the different velocities depending on where you click it. Kind of a quick preview.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Indeed.

And another tip: If you want to velocity-switch between only 2 sample, not that the MuDrum sample players have a "VS" = Velocity Sense parameter, which can be negative so when setting sample 1 with VS 100% and sample 2 with VS -100% then the louder you play the pad the more it will be sample 1, the softer you play the pad the more it will be sample 2.

Wow!! My feature request was implemented before I started typing. That's a fast response if I say so!! LOL Super.

Can velocity layers be set up according to exact MIDI velocities (125, 123, 121, etc.)? I'll have to play around with the suggestions above.

I'm running out of things to request. I may need to make music soon. ;-)

Can someone share the steps needed to create a MuDrum kit with one drum on one pad that features a dozen velocities? Thanks in advance. I'm trying to move my drum kits into MuLab . . . probably only have one drum on each MuDrum . . . divide up the tracks into Kick, Snare, Toms, etc.

From what I see there are only two possible layers, but I've heard there are other ways to expand this with specific velocities for each.

Some drum kits have more than 12 instruments so the MultiSampler (see above) is a good choice. It can automap using key names, but cannot automap velocity names into separate zones and autocomplete Low Vel and High Vel fields for each wav. One reason may be that there is no convention for velocity naming (e.g., some use 0-127, others use 1,2,3, etc).

If you have notes of many velocities in a sample folder you can sort by velocity names using MacOS Finder/Search and then drag each velocity group into a different zone, but I believe you will need to change the Low Vel and High Vel per wav. It would be good if we could select all wavs in a zone and change the Low and High Vel as a group.

Also check out the MultiSampler velocity crossfading feature which lets you blend layers by velocity.

Finally, if you have a dozen velocity layers per instrument in your drum kit, perhaps make a MuDrum for each instrument and record each separately.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Return to “MUTOOLS”