GHOST (beta) - New 6 osc wavetable FM synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SeBaer wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:34 pm How does it fare with old CPUs, like a AMD Phenom II X4? Does it work, or does it require more modern instruction sets?
Nah I'm not doing anything too fancy with instruction sets (yet). I looked up your processor and it saw that it supports things like SSE-SSE4. This is good, I don't think you should ever have problems with future updates :)
SeBaer wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:34 pm On another note, when you really want a fierce beta testing, have you thought about approaching bjporter or RichardSemper of the KVR One Synth Challenge?
I haven't heard of this before. Thanks, I'll see if they're interested

Ghost requires a persistent connection to the interweb? Sorry. Hard pass.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Boy Wonder wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:31 am Ghost requires a persistent connection to the interweb? Sorry. Hard pass.
It does not since v0.3.0

exacoustics wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:42 am
Boy Wonder wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:31 am Ghost requires a persistent connection to the interweb? Sorry. Hard pass.
It does not since v0.3.0
Thanks. Good to know, as many people, including myself, use our DAWs offline.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

So far, everything is working like a charm (Windows 10). I had to revise some presets I did (seems like many internal changes happened since version 0.2 I was using before).

Another thing. I know we can use our own waves, but some more Facotry waveform options for the LFOs would be good, IMO.

I also don't understand why you have to hide LFO 4-5-6 and Envelope 4-5-6. This may lead the user to think the synth ponly have three envelopes and three LFOs, when (especially the envelopes) are crucial for FM. Why not have six tabs in each (or at least in the envelopes) since the beginning?

BTW - I don't know if this was explained already, but what exactly are the Freq?
Last edited by fmr on Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

This looks promising. :)
I have three questions.
Is the plugin Apple Silicon native?
Are you gonna support the CLAP format?
Will there be microtuning support, preferably support for .scl or .tun files?
Looking forward to demo this.

fmr wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:05 am I had to revise some presets I did (seems like many internal changes happened since version 0.2 I was using before).
Sorry about that. I completely rewrote how the parameters work to help reduce CPU. It worked, v0.3 is way faster than v0.2, but it screwed up the presets, particularly the FM.
fmr wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:05 am Another thing. I know we can use our own waves, but some more Facotry waveform options for the LFOs would be good, IMO.
Yep, working on it
fmr wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:05 am I also don't understand why you have to hide LFO 4-5-6 and Envelope 4-5-6. This may lead the user to think the synth ponly have three envelopes and three LFOs, when (especially the envelopes) are crucial for FM. Why not have six tabs in each (or at least in the envelopes) since the beginning?
I think it looks neater hiding 4-6, because the alternative looks really squishy. Perhaps you disagree?The synths Serum & Vital behave in the same way. Anyone who has used them should feel at home with this functionality
fmr wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:05 am BTW - I don't know if this was explained already, but what exactly are the Freq?
Here's a demo (using the alpha version). It works on osc tunings, filter cutoffs, eq, phaser and flanger cutoffs.
https://youtu.be/_sLhJpeRUGw?t=97
EnsoLake wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:12 am This looks promising. :)
I have three questions.
Is the plugin Apple Silicon native?
Are you gonna support the CLAP format?
Will there be microtuning support, preferably support for .scl or .tun files?
Yes it's M1 native :) Works like a charm on my 2020 macbook air and my old 2013 macbook pro. There are plans to support CLAP, I think CLAP looks promising! I may support microtuning in future, but adding that support is pretty low priority in the short-medium term.

exacoustics wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:42 am
fmr wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:05 am I also don't understand why you have to hide LFO 4-5-6 and Envelope 4-5-6. This may lead the user to think the synth ponly have three envelopes and three LFOs, when (especially the envelopes) are crucial for FM. Why not have six tabs in each (or at least in the envelopes) since the beginning?
I think it looks neater hiding 4-6, because the alternative looks really squishy. Perhaps you disagree?The synths Serum & Vital behave in the same way. Anyone who has used them should feel at home with this functionality
Yeah... I know (have both of them. But those ARE NOT FM synth, just plain wavetable synths. In all FM synths I know we have the envelopes usually tied to the oscillators (in an arrange known as "operator"). Since we don't have that in Ghost, perhaps have all the envelopes exposed would be a good idea. At least users know since the beginning they have SIX envelopes (actually,m a seventh envelope for the filter alone would be good also... but I can live without it).

And don't forget to include an FM template (you could perhaps even include a whole bank, with a template for each of the classical FM algorithms). I could create that, if you want.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:57 am In all FM synths I know we have the envelopes usually tied to the oscillators (in an arrange known as "operator"). Since we don't have that in Ghost, perhaps have all the envelopes exposed would be a good idea.
And don't forget to include an FM template (you could perhaps even include a whole bank, with a template for each of the classical FM algorithms). I could create that, if you want.
It was tricky to implement into the design ENVs 1-6 attached to OSCs A-F as well as ENVs not attached to any Osc in a way that looked neat and intuitive. The simplest solution I found to default all Oscs to use ENV 1 and then modulate OSC volumes and FM amounts using ENV2-6 and the LFOs in the FM matrix.
fmr wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:57 am And don't forget to include an FM template (you could perhaps even include a whole bank, with a template for each of the classical FM algorithms). I could create that, if you want.
That would be super helpful, thanks for offering!

Been testing this one this morning.
I must say I'm pretty impressed so far. It's deep and fun to use, a gazillion modulations and sounding great !
Do you plan support for aftertouch, polyaftertouch or mpe ?

I really don't understand why developers just copy other plugins gui layout , to me it comes over as cheap solution .
Wouldn't it be more desirable to get rid of this first impression ?
You're clearly a talented dude , roll your own gui and since it's an fm synth hiding operator envelopes is imho a no go .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Also , it seems that you have implemented the feedback parameter wrong , iow NOT like most yamaha based Phase modulation synths.
The other fm synth I know that got this wrong is OXE FM .
When you have a feedback enabled operator , the envelope of the operator should also define the amount of feedback that goes back to the operator , iow the feedback should be post operator amp*env .
Example , a single operator straight to output with feedback enabled and a decaying amp envelope , should go from saw to sine because the decaying amp stage is also attenuating the feedback content ( or noise to sine when feedabck is 100 pct).
This is not the case with your plugin , it just lowers in amplitude but not the harmonic content of the operator, iow your feedback implementaton is done before the amp*env stage
Please consider changing this , it makes a world of difference .
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eyeball exchanging

exacoustics wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:20 am It was tricky to implement into the design ENVs 1-6 attached to OSCs A-F as well as ENVs not attached to any Osc in a way that looked neat and intuitive. The simplest solution I found to default all Oscs to use ENV 1 and then modulate OSC volumes and FM amounts using ENV2-6 and the LFOs in the FM matrix.
I think you should detach ENV 1 from all the oscillators. I cannot mute oscillators this way. You may hardwire ENV to volume of Oscillator 1, if you want, but preferably leave all oscillaotrs unassigned, and pint to the modulation matrix to assign them.

Also, I think I found a bug. I instantiate Ghost in REAPER, and I cannot see more than 4 envelopes. Env 5-6 remain hidden, even after being assigned in the Mod Matrix. I will check in other hosts as well. I had an old preset with all six envelopes assigned, and when I call that one, I can see the six envelopes, but in newer presets I can't
Fernando (FMR)

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:48 am Also , it seems that you have implemented the feedback parameter wrong , iow NOT like most yamaha based Phase modulation synths.
When you have a feedback enabled operator , the envelope of the operator should also define the amount of feedback that goes back to the operator , iow the feedback should be post operator amp*env .
Example , a single operator straight to output with feedback enabled and a decaying amp envelope , should go from saw to sine because the decaying amp stage is also attenuating the feedback content ( or noise to sine when feedabck is 100 pct).
This is not the case with your plugin , it just lowers in amplitude but not the harmonic content of the operator, iow your feedback implementaton is done before the amp*env stage
^^^ THIS ^^^

But if you assign the envelope to FM F>F (for the feedback of oscillator F), doesn't it behave this way?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:43 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:48 am Also , it seems that you have implemented the feedback parameter wrong , iow NOT like most yamaha based Phase modulation synths.
^^^ THIS ^^^

But if you assign the envelope to FM F>F (for the feedback of oscillator F), doesn't it behave this way?
Indeed that seems to do the trick .
Assign the operator envelope to operator feedback amount in modmatrix , and leave feedback amount in matrix to zero.
Still think it's a waste of modslots .
Eyeball exchanging

Return to “Instruments”